Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The good and the bad of the Marantz HD-Dac1
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2014, 02:12 PM   #1
asaifa is offline asaifa
diyAudio Member

Default The good and the bad of the Marantz HD-Dac1

Hi,
I've got the HD-Dac1 here and I'm listening to it.
The headphone quality is really good, but the signal that comes out of the line out is veiled. There is a French review (Test Marantz HD-DAC1 - the link seems to be offline right now) where they measured the frequency response of the line out, which was rolled off at 15khz! And I can hear a clear difference: the headphone sound is great, but through my speakers it sounds rolled off. I'm comparing it with an EE minimax with upgraded opamps.
So my question to the members of this forum is: is it possible to improve the line-out on the HD-Dac1, so that it gets the same high frequencies as the headphone amp?
Thanks,
Anton
Old 16th December 2014, 03:09 PM   #2
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I own an HD-DAC1 and have to say I can hear no roll off at all via line out compared to headphones out. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere either. Perhaps the tests were in error or they had a pre-production unit, or one that was just faulty? I'd have returned mine if it rolled off that early!
The first unit I owned had problems with a faint hum using headphones, and the chassis got too hot. But the replacement was fine. I'm delighted with it!
Old 16th December 2014, 03:48 PM   #3
asaifa is offline asaifa
diyAudio Member

I've now had more time with the HD-Dac1 and I have to say that through the speaker amp it seems to have opened up and I do not hear it rolled-off anymore. So, yes JohnM, you are probably right that the measurement must have been faulty. Maybe I even heard it that way because I had read about it!
Old 16th December 2014, 04:17 PM   #4
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Mine took a few hours before it 'opened out' but this seems to be the case with a lot of new equipment. Glad yours is sounding better now. I think it's an amazing DAC and could easily sell for twice its price!

A thread on it here you might be interested in:

Fantastic New Budget DAC: The Marantz HD DAC1 | Steve Hoffman Music Forums
Old 12th February 2015, 08:29 PM   #5
jocar37 is offline jocar37
diyAudio Member

If you're interested in buying an HD-DAC1 but would like to get a better price, go vote on my MassDrop poll at https://www.massdrop.com/vote/dsd-headphone-dacamp/.
Old 27th August 2015, 12:29 AM   #6
HiFiNutNut is offline HiFiNutNut  Australia
diyAudio Member

I bought one and planned to modify it. I have not had the time to do so but will get to it one day.

I would like to replace the output caps from electrolytic to MKP, and perhaps replace the power supply first stage substituting the C with CRLC or CRLCRLC or the sort. The latter seems to be difficult because there is little space to allow adding components.

Anybody has given it a try? Happy to share here?
Old 11th October 2017, 04:23 PM   #7
Groundloops is offline Groundloops
diyAudio Member

I bought one and the service manual too. I don't care about the caps, but what bothers me and IMHO gives some tweaking potential is the power supply:
hddac1_psu.jpg
The DAC chip is supplied by IC98, a generic LM7805 for analog and IC99, a generic LM1117 3.3V for digital.
hddac1_psu1.jpg

There is very little space left in the enclosure, but enough to add a flat transformer, a rectifier and som caps as well as a Dexa regulator.

Parts are ordered, I will record my progress here.

Last edited by Groundloops; 11th October 2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 6th April 2019, 07:50 PM   #8
Ketchupsos is offline Ketchupsos
diyAudio Member

Default Marantz

And what were you findings?

The good and the bad of the Marantz HD-Dac1Hide this!Advertise here!