The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was the basis for my implementation decisions as well. Supersurfer commented on the fist gen WTMC that it was not significant to move to batteries based on his subjective listening. There are lots of good linear supplies or easy to build if so inclined. No need for supercaps etc. Just a decent low noise reg after a well filtered supply IMHO.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I tried on the Ian Masterclock , LT3042 reg, LiPoFe direct and with this reg and TS7A Ti reg from a good R-Core traffo : this last won from a large margin with little help of th FCA CAP. I'm not surprised you find a good power supply good enough.

Have to test the always power on clock, I have no doubt seing your testimonials it will be better. Let see where Doede/Supersurfer experiments go as well.

First clock built and working :D

Attachments

• 8B600D56-7078-424A-BA32-4F2AAAA822A2.jpg
    8B600D56-7078-424A-BA32-4F2AAAA822A2.jpg
    978.5 KB · Views: 420
In principle Yes, unless the Output impedance of the PSU is Zero. Hence shunts and ultracaps do a nice job.

Also the design of the clock circuit will have ways to decouple itself from the PSU

But even when yes, the question is how much do they influence and is it noticeable.

Andrea can shine a light on this as it is his design, how much the clock will allow interference when connected to one psu at a certain output impedance (as function of frequency) and may be get us a clue in which frequency range the power supply is most likely to interfere the clocks when impedance is not low enough

in theory, these clocks present a totally constant, fix current draw: 69mA for the 2x MHz case, here.
The output pure, single freq RF signal has no chance to appear backwards on the PS line.. if not by EMI/RFI radiation conductance and pickup..
So again in theory, easier case is hard to find.. they need low noise 16V cca, constant current draw 140mA for two, and go..

Hello,
I am still waiting for some cables and a part from the ldovr.com site.
After that i will send Doede my 6 clock boards, a 61,7 F 18 volt supercap and a bit more.
The idea is to use a 16,8 volt battery charger. After the 16,8 volt is reached. An arduino based circuit will decouple the charger and switch to a choke input supply followed by a low voltage drop regulator that will give 16,5 volt to the supercap.
This Arduino circuit was described by Doede a few weeks ago.
Greetings,Eduard

Status
Not open for further replies.