The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you can connect 2 x TWTMC-PXO-AIO with the AT 6.25MHz to one TWTMC-STS-FSDO-F so the output is 25MHz x 4.

The TWTMC-STS-FSDO theoretically has better phase noise than the TWTMC-STS, at least from the plots in the datasheet of the LTC6957. We will measure it soon.

The comparison plots I have published seem to confirm that the TWTMC-PXO-AIO is around 5 dBc better than the Driscoll at the same output frequency (see the attached plot at 24.576 MHz, very close to 24 and 25 MHz).

Thanks, great.
I will then ordre 2 x TWTMC-PXO-AIO with the AT 6.25MHz, 2x AIO XO transformer kits and 1 TWTMC-STS-FSDO-F to my 4 Buffalo BS-GS2016. I will send the TWTMC OrderForm to You and hope someone do the same, so the MOQ at the AT6.25MHZ, AIO XO transformerkit and TWTMC-PXO-AIO can be reach...

Hi guys

I'm in on this as well but can someone help me with my order please?

@Basillus, I think you have 3 or 4 Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches but I only have two (switches) that I want to upgrade; so, would I need to order the same parts as you:
2 x TWTMC-PXO-AIO with the AT 6.25MHz
2 x AIO XO transformer kits and
1 X TWTMC-STS-FSDO-F
or would I need something else?

Thanks

Joined 2004
Paid Member
"2 x TWTMC-PXO-AIO with the AT 6.25MHz
2 x AIO XO transformer kits and
1 X TWTMC-STS-FSDO-F"

Why 2 x TWTMC-PXO-AIO and 2 x AIO XO transformer kits?

You have two switches, these requiring two 25Mhz clock:

One 25Mhz sine output board, and one sine to 2x square board.

1 x TWTMC-PXO-AIO with the AT 6.25MHz: 25MHz sine output
1 x AIO XO transformer kits and
1 X TWTMC-STS-FSDO-F : 2 x sine_to_2x_square (only one half needed)

Thank you Andrea!
+1 for you Fifo lite

1 With your new FIFO Lite is there need for sine to square converters?
2 I see that you missed the measurements for the 12.288 DRIXO, at least i cannot find them.
3 I found measurements of some very good commercial products (Grimm CC and Black Lion). Looks interesting

Attachments

• black-lion-grimm-ap1-clocks.gif
    black-lion-grimm-ap1-clocks.gif
    75.9 KB · Views: 452
Andrea, I'm planing to replace only one clock in a dac that has many clocks.
So need to receive an "on/off signal".

If using these three cards
Driscoll XO -> Frequency doubler -> Sine to Square converter
Is it possible to connect an on/off "trigger" without replacing Square converter with for example the switched output card (and only use one input)?
Or do you know if any pre-build solutions exist? Like "bnc -> on/off relay -> bnc", or something like that.

thanks Micke

Hi Micke,

oscillators and frequency doublers are always on, there is no way to put them in high impedance state.

So the only way is using the TWTMC-STS-FSDO-S that accepts on-off signal to switch between two oscillators (in your case one is empty).

Otherwise you should build yourself a switching board because commercial devices are expensive.
This is an example
https://www.mouser.it/ProductDetail/Teledyne-Relays/CCR-33S80-R?qs=YCa/AAYMW0112XqxgJXHlw==.
It's a latching device so you need the control logic to to switch between the oscillators, and moreover it uses a single relays while the TWTMC-STS-FSDO-S uses 4 relays, 2 for each input in T configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.