The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes!
I got the 1,5uH from mouser today and the clock is working now.
I did not check the signal with a scope but it is playing music on my fifopi currently!

Now its time to let it run in for a while.

Regards,

Hi Supersurfer,

That looks really promising. I have the clock KIT and SC cut, just want to try the same. Can you send me the most updated document by email.

Thank you and have a good weekend.
Ian

Hi Andrea,

Is it possible to run the clock on 6.6-6.7v? I want to use Ians battery supply for the clock power. If this is not possible I can use a dropping resistor but I assume direct battery power is better.

A queston for both Ian and Andrea:
The clock is now connected with a 2” ufl cable to the fifopi and the dac master clock input is connected to the fifopi with 2” ufl.
Will it be an improvement to connect the dac master clock input directly to the clock or is there some processing of the clock signal on the fifopi that than will be bypassed?

@Ian: you can find the parts lists and assembly manuals here: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/dig...itter-crystal-oscillator-151.html#post5073292

Regards,

Last edited:
Hi Andrea,

Is it possible to run the clock on 6.6-6.7v? I want to use Ians battery supply for the clock power. If this is not possible I can use a dropping resistor but I assume direct battery power is better.

A queston for both Ian and Andrea:
The clock is now connected with a 2” ufl cable to the fifopi and the dac master clock input is connected to the fifopi with 2” ufl.
Will it be an improvement to connect the dac master clock input directly to the clock or is there some processing of the clock signal on the fifopi that than will be bypassed?

@Ian: you can find the parts lists and assembly manuals here: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/dig...itter-crystal-oscillator-151.html#post5073292

Regards,

You can run the oscillator at 6.6/6.7V without any problem, simply set Q1 collector at half VCC (3.3/3.35V).

About u.fl. cable IMHO you can keep them in place.
Ian, what do you think about?

Andrea

Cables have a specified attenuation based on length. Cable loss specs for RF grade cables with SMA termination are .5 db per meter. Not sure there is a jitter issue so much as a signal strength attenuation. Not cheap... $15 and up.
Hard to believe there is a practical difference between 2" or 2 feet?? Perhaps Andrea can comment?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Are there not too much bigger long groundloops when using long uf-l shielded (grounded on both sides is a better definition) wires and a masterclock output and its I2S outputt in the same time ? What the best option then : masterclock utputt nearer from the streamer for instance or uf-l outputs nearer from the dac chip (so masterclock farer from the streamer MC inputt ?

I have changed the ps to full battery power, 6,6v on the clock and 3,3v on squarer.
I also connected the master clock dac input directly on the clock board.

Attachments

• 997AE1E2-9CD7-4D7B-A477-0206AD7368D9.jpg
    997AE1E2-9CD7-4D7B-A477-0206AD7368D9.jpg
    593.6 KB · Views: 480
  • 6FD61C0F-C3EB-4699-89F8-4DE597C945DF.jpg
    6FD61C0F-C3EB-4699-89F8-4DE597C945DF.jpg
    827.8 KB · Views: 457
Supersurfer what results do you have with battery power on the clock 6Volt.

Difficult to distinguish, the clock is also still running in and I used a battery line that I had paralleled for feeding the iv board in my streamer; so the configuration is now different. There are too much variables to say if battery is better or not.
Maybe I will compare later on when all is settled.

Thanks for the early feedback Supersurfer.

Your pioneering helps those of us following. You have a system that will reveal the fine details.
If I can get 90% of the benefit of the clock using a good linear PS I will be happy.
It will be interesting to see how much benefit there is from feeding clock with a separate PS. People claim its important to avoid contaminating other supplies. Time will tell.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
It means there is no production consistency from Laptech ?

Or a detail changed in your setup as a passive component on the oscillator like a type or brand of caps for instance or a diiferent smd resistor ??

Is it a hearing feeling or do you check an important difference via your scope?

Agging or break in of the previous sc cut you have ?

Anyway thank you for your inputt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.