Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator
The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM   #3101
WTS is offline WTS  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbyp View Post
Sounds really interesting, would you be happy to share some of the experiments you have done for future implementers of Andrea's clocks, who may not have the time to iteratively test different dampening methods?
Actually it has been my partner(crwalpole) who has done most of the vibration isolation experiments. But some of what we did was just using grey putty on the boards or bees wax and then mounting them in diecast boxes. His last one was built in an aluminum enclosure which was built out of 0.75" thick aluminum and inside he had springs to suspend it from and I believe the board was actually weighted to stretch the springs slightly.

There's many ways you can come up with to add some vibration isolation to these boards. I would get some grey putty(get putty that doesn't harden over time) and just put 0.5" of it on the backside of the board and then stand the crystal up(90* from the board) and pack some putty on it too. Then mount it in a diecast enclosure, you could then even mount it with soft rubber feet to whatever enclosure you use for your system boards.

Did any of this make a difference in the sound quality, yes and maybe.
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM   #3102
gerhard is offline gerhard  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom59hifi View Post
Hi Gerhard,

I forgot to ask if you know what is the minimum quantity for ordering crystals at Quartztechnik .
A friend of mine is asking.

Cheers
They used to make channel crystals for hams, but 1 or 5 is more or less the same work.
Ask THEM and tell us :-)

Kontakt - Quarztechnik Daun

Gerhard
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" "We don't demand solid facts! What we demand is a total absence of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"
Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM   #3103
tom59hifi is offline tom59hifi  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Thank you.I will.
Cheers

Tomislav
Old Today, 01:31 AM   #3104
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default vibration

Lots of great ideas for vibration dampening. In my experience, well worth the effort. I have had clear improvements in sound whether it is simple like putty on the crystal to quite comprehensive as I have with Andre's WTMC. My approach documented earlier. The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator Perhaps some inspiration. Sand works well combined with large masses separated by dampening layers.
Old Today, 04:18 AM   #3105
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Vibration sensitivity for crystal oscillators is something you can research. Wenzel has some good info but keep in mind the vibration levels they are dealing with are much higher.
It's known that the crystal frequency is sensitive to position and turning it over will change the frequency. Certain axis is will have the high sensitivity.
As to vibration, if you don't want to create active correction (see the Wenzel article), then it's best to figure out the sensitive frequency of the system and design isolation around that. It's similar to turntable isolation. More mass, more compliance and make sure you have no suspension resonances that match sensitive frequencies.
You may be able to connect the crystal to a high Z input with lots of gain and directly see it's vibration sensitivity. Its pretty similar to a piezo accelerometer. And there may be microphonics in the rest of the electronics.
Old Today, 07:09 AM   #3106
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Aah - you say that the impedance that the crystal see has an effect on the damping of the crystal? The good ol' amp-speaker relation again in disguise?

//

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillatorHide this!Advertise here!