The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Joseph K,
Here a never mentioned fine detail is that there exist no commercial audio clock oscillators (AFAIK) with 50 ohm (100ohm) drive capability.. all XOs are low mA, Cmos output drivers, NOT designed to drive 50 ohm terminations. (without serious signal loss, and not clear consequencies for the oscillator circuit itself)

As a minimum, these little sh¦t pieces should be equipped a proper, low output impedance, high drive capability, low phase noise output buffer (Like it is done in the clocks of Andrea!!!)

Because of this problem, the typical onboard clock lines DO NOT have proper terminations, no signal integrity criterions are guaranteed...
Chris forgot to talk about these little particulars..
Oh, for crying out loud! Is that all you can find to pick apart what I have said?

Well, the CD chip sets chips do not have a 50R input impedance for the clock for starters. Commercial clocks all drive buffers before the signal goes out to the wild world. So you're not even talking about real world situations to begin with. When you buy a clock, you are buying a clock, not a system. You would know that if you had done any research at all.

I was quite content to sit back and read, but when misinformation comes up, it should be addressed.

-Chris

I have to quote this again:

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.
Upton Sinclair

Great quote!
Now, it depends mostly on the R- law-makers to put back the responsibility laws in place, (without BS from D-s like broken nails in sharp corners, or requiring 100% description of all issues). Right?

back ON Topic

Just a few pictures of my progress on the Clock Switch.

I have now put the clock and doubler boxes in the chassis. I decided against using the power plugs. It is all so close and fragile, i was afraid if anything makes a short the whole fury of batteries and Ultracap will discharge through that point. So I decide to make a solid soldered power connection. In the pictures you see what I mean.... also feels better to have a solid connection than with a small plug anyway.

Final steps are the FS cable connection and making the connections in my DAC where the Sine-PI will sit on the FiFoPi...

I had some feedback in the meantime from other clock owners, that indeed it is positively audible when playing Redbook (44.1) and the doublers are not in series with the clock.

Attachments

• 2021-11-07_20-35-10_IMG_6214.JPG
    2021-11-07_20-35-10_IMG_6214.JPG
    542.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 2021-11-07_20-36-18_IMG_6216.JPG
    2021-11-07_20-36-18_IMG_6216.JPG
    766.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 2021-11-05_14-49-57_IMG_6198.JPG
    2021-11-05_14-49-57_IMG_6198.JPG
    343.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 2021-11-05_15-01-23_IMG_6199.JPG
    2021-11-05_15-01-23_IMG_6199.JPG
    366.1 KB · Views: 219
I hear your answers loud and clear, thank you very much, QED.

The world did NOT waited for Andrea at all.

There were, before him and even today, only the serious implementation who took clocking at its money... for expensive products of course.

And if manufacturers of cheaper products were listening, is your merit (this forum platform+people), not Andrea's. He was merely a lucky passive channel, to resonate these ideas from others to you.
When he became an "active" channel for his own ideas... he failed short of expectations for this topic. His "collaborators" (plural is needed here, not singular as he stated) are not for nothing in anonymity.
Are we still talking about him? Perhaps is better to close the thread, is it enough said? Or, maybe is better to call back his ban? Maybe wait for someone to open a new thread to continue, deservedly, this good topic?

But, I personally see a thread without his OP as a sickness... needed to be closed. I hope we can made our minds about it, soon.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
also feels better to have a solid connection than with a small plug anyway.

Absolutely right if you see the terminal on the Eaton cap and compare it to the tiny plug on the Italian circuit it looks a bit strange. This tiny plug is nice for an external hard disk.
It is true once it is inserted and hidden inside a chassis it will never just disconnect but the way Doede connected it will remain a good contact forever and will be a better one right from the start.
Of course using a tie rap as a kind of strain relief is a bit so so.
I am sure there is a better solution. There is enough space to add a real kind of strain relief by just adding one extra hole close to the original plug.
Greetings, eduard

Hi, much gratitude to Doede for the link and to Andrea to pushing on despite all the nonsense.
I will happily wait for the next developments from Andrea since his products, like those from Doede, Oliver, etc over these many years have consistently provided rather dramatic improvements to my home listening experience . Thanks guys, chapeau !!!

It's these kinds of results that keep the hobby enjoyable, and clearly what keeps a site like this vibrant & useful when other forums seem to have withered away.

So let's terminate the stupid ban, or just ignore it and go around it...either way is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.