Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator
The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2019, 05:52 PM   #1761
Supersurfer is offline Supersurfer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_mori View Post
Hi,

L4 is a critical part since it's used to tune the oscillator at the crystal frequency, so you should use exactly the value indicated in the BOM.
Yes!
I got the 1,5uH from mouser today and the clock is working now.
I did not check the signal with a scope but it is playing music on my fifopi currently!

Now its time to let it run in for a while.

Regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7352D146-0361-452A-84EF-102ABD8C9707.jpg (811.9 KB, 239 views)
Old 12th July 2019, 07:40 AM   #1762
andrea_mori is offline andrea_mori  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersurfer View Post
Yes!
I did not check the signal with a scope but it is playing music on my fifopi currently!

Regards,
Glad to know the oscillator is running properly, enjoy!

Andrea
Old 13th July 2019, 03:03 AM   #1763
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes!

Regards,
Hi Supersurfer,

That looks really promising. I have the clock KIT and SC cut, just want to try the same. Can you send me the most updated document by email.

Thank you and have a good weekend.
Ian
Old 13th July 2019, 08:30 AM   #1764
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrea,

Is it possible to run the clock on 6.6-6.7v? I want to use Ians battery supply for the clock power. If this is not possible I can use a dropping resistor but I assume direct battery power is better.

A queston for both Ian and Andrea:
The clock is now connected with a 2” ufl cable to the fifopi and the dac master clock input is connected to the fifopi with 2” ufl.
Will it be an improvement to connect the dac master clock input directly to the clock or is there some processing of the clock signal on the fifopi that than will be bypassed?

@Ian: you can find the parts lists and assembly manuals here: The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

Regards,

Last edited by Supersurfer; 13th July 2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 13th July 2019, 09:27 AM   #1765
andrea_mori is offline andrea_mori  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Andrea,

Is it possible to run the clock on 6.6-6.7v? I want to use Ians battery supply for the clock power. If this is not possible I can use a dropping resistor but I assume direct battery power is better.

A queston for both Ian and Andrea:
The clock is now connected with a 2 ufl cable to the fifopi and the dac master clock input is connected to the fifopi with 2 ufl.
Will it be an improvement to connect the dac master clock input directly to the clock or is there some processing of the clock signal on the fifopi that than will be bypassed?

@Ian: you can find the parts lists and assembly manuals here: The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

Regards,
You can run the oscillator at 6.6/6.7V without any problem, simply set Q1 collector at half VCC (3.3/3.35V).

About u.fl. cable IMHO you can keep them in place.
Ian, what do you think about?

Andrea
Old 13th July 2019, 07:44 PM   #1766
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_mori View Post
You can run the oscillator at 6.6/6.7V without any problem, simply set Q1 collector at half VCC (3.3/3.35V).

About u.fl. cable IMHO you can keep them in place.
Ian, what do you think about?

Andrea
A shorter route to the dac chip would imply less jitter. Or not?
Old 13th July 2019, 08:28 PM   #1767
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Cables have a specified attenuation based on length. Cable loss specs for RF grade cables with SMA termination are .5 db per meter. Not sure there is a jitter issue so much as a signal strength attenuation. Not cheap... $15 and up.
Hard to believe there is a practical difference between 2" or 2 feet?? Perhaps Andrea can comment?
Old 13th July 2019, 09:23 PM   #1768
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

I thought the problem was that longer cables are more prone to EMI/RFI and thus more noise is introduced. Unless you have cables with perfect shielding
Old 14th July 2019, 12:44 PM   #1769
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

Are there not too much bigger long groundloops when using long uf-l shielded (grounded on both sides is a better definition) wires and a masterclock output and its I2S outputt in the same time ? What the best option then : masterclock utputt nearer from the streamer for instance or uf-l outputs nearer from the dac chip (so masterclock farer from the streamer MC inputt ?
Old 14th July 2019, 04:39 PM   #1770
diyAudio Member

I have changed the ps to full battery power, 6,6v on the clock and 3,3v on squarer.
I also connected the master clock dac input directly on the clock board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 997AE1E2-9CD7-4D7B-A477-0206AD7368D9.jpg (593.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 6FD61C0F-C3EB-4699-89F8-4DE597C945DF.jpg (827.8 KB, 83 views)

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillatorHide this!Advertise here!