Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator
The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2019, 08:26 AM   #1731
Herbert Rutgers is offline Herbert Rutgers  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
Yes.

But is there a circuit?

I only see pictures of a kit from someone who thinks that foil capacitors are a good thing at RF.
See:
https://www.by-rutgers.nl/PDFiles/Re...scillators.pdf

or

https://www.by-rutgers.nl/PDFiles/rutgerS-Clock.pdf
Old 17th February 2019, 09:58 PM   #1732
andrea_mori is offline andrea_mori  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyiggy View Post
Hi,

After some readings I would like to use two At-Cut Laptech on the Rasberry-Pi FifoPi board from Iancanada trough the TWMC-DIL adapatators.

My library is mainly old ripped Cds from the 80's & 90's and I assume most of them if not all are 16/44.1 RedBook: I would populate a Laptech At-Cut 5.6448 MHz on the first area of the FiFoPi XO area for this frequency.

I also have few 24/88 & 192 materials from online libraries and then my choice could be a Laptech At-Cut 24.576 MHz dedicated for them for the second area of the FifoPi.

Am I ok with that choice? I want something simple without oven so my choice of At-Cuts XOs despite knowing OCXO Sc-Cuts are better.

Related to my XOs choice above I would like please to know if there is a big SQ difference between the Colpitts-Clapp board and the Pierce board. From Andrea Mori's posts I'm believing the Pierce oscillator could be a little better without being sure of that.

Has anybody tried to use 3 pins LTO3042 ldo regs for the 15V & 3.3V directly on the Colpitt oscillator board to reach a better PSRR & noise result versus the main TWMC main power board ? Could it gives a better result than the Pierce witch regs are farer of the board ?
I don't know if Ian's FiFoPi supports 5.6448 MHz with 24.576 MHz.

You could use the new TWTMC-P2, double Pierce oscillators on a single board, maybe battery powered.
It's born to accommodate 22.5792 Mhz and 24.576 MHz At-Cut crystals, but you can replace the first crystal with a 5.6448 MHz simply replacing a few components.
It will be available soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TWTMC-P2.jpg (185.4 KB, 327 views)
Old 18th February 2019, 09:41 AM   #1733
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

Thank you.
Old 18th February 2019, 08:56 PM   #1734
malcox11 is offline malcox11  Italy
diyAudio Member

I asked few days ago , to Ian and he confirmed that the new fifopi 5.6448 mhz.
Old 18th February 2019, 09:38 PM   #1735
malcox11 is offline malcox11  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcox11 View Post
I asked few days ago , to Ian and he confirmed that the new fifopi 5.6448 mhz.
work
Old 19th February 2019, 03:56 PM   #1736
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

Thank you, this is my understanding but the gap between the two frequency is unusual.

Halas I saw the DIL16 areas of the FiFoPi were flipped at 90 : so on the FiFoPi you can not use any more the the Andrea Mori's former oscillator boards stacked on the DIL adaptators. You can only use the DIL adaptators but wirered to the oscillator boards trough uf-l cables if you choose the FiFoPi. But you XOs will be very far from the DAC chip. So jitter added which is a pitty when choosing good XOs.

Now a Laptech should be at least better than a CHHD-957 directly stacked despite the extra length of wire needed for the Laptech oscillator boards with a FiFoPi. I saw IanCanada has 2" uf-6 cables...
Old 21st February 2019, 07:55 PM   #1737
MadKid is offline MadKid  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_mori View Post
It's not a problem to calculate the components value for these frequencies, the real issue is to reach the MOQ requested for each frequency, at least 10 pcs and sometime 15 pcs, depending on the frequency.

Hi Andrea can you help to check with Laptech for the MOQ of 24Mhz and 25Mhz SC-Cut crystals?
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:03 AM   #1738
andrea_mori is offline andrea_mori  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadKid View Post
Hi Andrea can you help to check with Laptech for the MOQ of 24Mhz and 25Mhz SC-Cut crystals?
I just asked Laptech for the above crystals:

- 24MHz Sc-cut 3rd overtone HC-43/U MOQ 10pcs price Eur 38 each
- 25MHz Sc-cut 3rd overtone HC-43/U MOQ 10pcs price Eur 38 each

Specs, MOQ and prices are the same of Sc-Cut at 24.576MHz

Andrea
Old 27th February 2019, 02:19 AM   #1739
wyan is offline wyan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I just asked Laptech for the above crystals:

- 24MHz Sc-cut 3rd overtone HC-43/U MOQ 10pcs price Eur 38 each
- 25MHz Sc-cut 3rd overtone HC-43/U MOQ 10pcs price Eur 38 each

Specs, MOQ and prices are the same of Sc-Cut at 24.576MHz

Andrea

Hi, Andrea,

Count me in for one piece of 24MHZ SC-cut 3rd-overtone. Thanks.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:27 AM   #1740
ofswitched is offline ofswitched  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't know if Ian's FiFoPi supports 5.6448 MHz with 24.576 MHz.

You could use the new TWTMC-P2, double Pierce oscillators on a single board, maybe battery powered.
It's born to accommodate 22.5792 Mhz and 24.576 MHz At-Cut crystals, but you can replace the first crystal with a 5.6448 MHz simply replacing a few components.
It will be available soon.
I have designed a similar clock board under the guidance of pulsar clock.

Screenshot_2017-10-31-23-15-23-446_com.google.android.gm (1).jpg

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillatorHide this!Advertise here!