The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now no DHT ampli at home, I have built an 845 DHT for a friend but it's gone a couple of years ago.
It's a heavily tweaked chinese ampli (the Music Angel 845), practically I saved the power supply, the output transformers and the chassis.
The driver circuit was fully redesigned and the output tubes were replaced with a pair of PSVANE WE845.
It sounds very very good.

When I find the time I will build a pair of GM70 DHT monoblock ampli, I already own all the parts.
It uses a choke as the load for the driver but a 1:1 interstage transformer could be used in its place.
The only issue is the current that would flow in the primary, around 35 mA.

I will share the design as soon as it's ready.

TY Andrea, I am curious about the @Supersurfer experience as well
The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

I have a Chinese frame, similar to the Music Angel but with 2A3 power tubes and 6sn7 in the driver section. Since I have a very nice pair of Hashimoto trans 1:1, I had in mind trying to find around a nice design with inter stages. Driver stage still to be determined.

My 50 cents regarding AD1862 (and AD1865). They are the VERY GOOD sounding DACs, but compared to TDA1541A - much far from the analog sound. AD1862/65 much more "digital" (paper-like) than TDA1541A even within the same peripheral conditions (same PSUs, digital domain and i/v stages). I have made earlier the direct comparison with TDA1541A. No doubts, I have a superpower now to identify the fast and (saddenely) cartoons-like sound of AD1862/5 :rolleyes:
Against the PCM63, the AD1862/5 looks much more transparent, I agree. But compared to TDA1541A... Too far, sorry... :wave:

It is my humble opinion based on tries over years... I am very dissapointed now to be honest that my first time was TDA1541 (without A), that's why I have started that long trip over many different DAC-chips to surprisely turn back and to stop on TDA1541A. The difference between A and non-A is huge...

Sorry for off-topic here, Andrea. I am stopping now as you gave me an answer already on the first question.

:santa2:

I look forward to your master-clock for my DAC!
:)

p.s. I am temporary on 845 and 805 tubes too.

Last edited:

I have a Chinese frame, similar to the Music Angel but with 2A3 power tubes and 6sn7 in the driver section. Since I have a very nice pair of Hashimoto trans 1:1, I had in mind trying to find around a nice design with inter stages. Driver stage still to be determined.

I also have used the 6SN7 to drive the 845, I got a pair of very good sounding 6H8C Melz plant 1578 (perforated anode).

The dream driver would be the EC8020 but it costs like a car.

My 50 cents regarding AD1862 (and AD1865). They are the VERY GOOD sounding DACs, but compared to TDA1541A - much far from the analog sound. AD1862/65 much more "digital" (paper-like) than TDA1541A even within the same peripheral conditions (same PSUs, digital domain and i/v stages). I have made earlier the direct comparison with TDA1541A. No doubts, I have a superpower now to identify the fast and (saddenely) cartoons-like sound of AD1862/5 :rolleyes:
Against the PCM63, the AD1862/5 looks much more transparent, I agree. But compared to TDA1541A... Too far, sorry... :wave:

It is my humble opinion based on tries over years... I am very dissapointed now to be honest that my first time was TDA1541 (without A), that's why I have started that long trip over many different DAC-chips to surprisely turn back and to stop on TDA1541A. The difference between A and non-A is huge...

Sorry for off-topic here, Andrea. I am stopping now as you gave me an answer already on the first question.

:santa2:

I look forward to your master-clock for my DAC!
:)

p.s. I am temporary on 845 and 805 tubes too.

I know how the TDA1541A is wonderful.

It's in my Naim CD3 and also in the DAC I have built for my friend (fed by the old and still very good old Driscoll oscillator TWTMC-D with 11.2896 MHz Sc-Cut crystal).

Anyway I'm very curious about the implementation of the AD1862 from my co-developer using the top end FIFO buffer.
I have only to be patient since the development will take very long time.

About the 845 I can assure that the PSVANE WE845 is a wonderful sounding tube (someone claims better than the NOS GE).

You can have a look at Lynn Olson's Amity design
The Amity, Raven, and Aurora
(the link does not work for me right now)

I use a design similar to Amity with 6N6p as driver tubes, transformer-coupled to 2A3 (or more exacly 6c4c). Then I also use an input stage with 6SN7 (6H8C) direct-coupled to the driver stage)

The 845 ampli has been delivered at least a couple of years ago so I cannot update it.

Now I have to build the GM70 SE monoblocks since I already own all the parts.

It's a two stage amp so the driver tube has to swing a bit of voltage to drive the GM70 at its maximum power (A1).
I have chosen the little brother of the EC8020, I have 2 matched pairs of Telefunken EC8010, I will use them in parallel in the choke loaded driver stage.

The only problem is finding the time to build the amp.

Preview of the whole Lite system under testing.

Attachments

• Whole_System.jpg
    Whole_System.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 544
HDMI is before the fifo+isolator, it shouldn't make any difference.

Yes, the jitter coming from the source cannot affect the DAC because the FIFO isolates them.
Data incoming from the source are stored in a memory and then they coming out with a different master clock, the FIFO is asynchronous.

The quality of the output depends on the quality of the FIFO master clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.