Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator
The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2018, 04:43 PM   #1651
jdlvfr is offline jdlvfr  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_mori View Post
Hi JoŽl,

very nice results! seems Laptech crystals are good stuff!

It could be very interesting if you would share your Wenzel based measurement system (hardware & software).
I believe there are many members interested on an affordable phase noise measurement system, me too.

I started a thread about phase noise measurement
Building a phase noise measurement system for digital audio

Ill be very glad if you would share your experience in the above thread.

Thanks
Andrea
Hi Andrea,

I have some optimisations and simplifications to do and then I will post schematics. Please be patient!

JoŽl
Old 14th February 2018, 04:49 PM   #1652
andrea_mori is offline andrea_mori  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlvfr View Post
Hi Andrea,

I have some optimisations and simplifications to do and then I will post schematics. Please be patient!

JoŽl
Hi JoŽl,

thanks, I look forward.

If there will be a PCB I'm interested on it.

Andrea
Old 18th February 2018, 11:48 AM   #1653
diyAudio Member

Default SC-Cut 3rd overtone 5.6448 and 6.144 MHz interest list

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Group buy
Old 15th March 2018, 10:31 AM   #1654
triodehunter is offline triodehunter  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default From AT-Clapp to SC-Driscoll

Hello Andrea,

This is an update to post #1240.

Time for a feedback! A few days ago I finally managed to get the SC-cut Driscoll 22/24 working. No issues to that whatsoever. I wanted to wait a few days while keeping on listening, because I did not trust my ears, but my listening impressions were confirmed day after day....

From the sonic footprint of my AT-cut Clapp 45/49 I already was so much pleased that I did not expect a huge gain in performance. Yes, I was hoping for an improvement, but this is close to unbelievable.

Soundstage, positioning of instruments, voices, all so live and dynamic...

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Andrea !!!

Having made that experience there is no question that I am also interested in that HC-47/U SC-Cut 3rd overtone 5.6448.

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Group buy (Post #248)

It is not possible to go lower than 22/24 MHz to reach 176.4 / 192 kHz. But there are so many 44.1 kHz CD's that might profit of the furthermore lower phase noise / jitter (lower frequency plus better Q).

The GB for the 47/U SC-cut 5.6448 MHz and 6.144 MHz might not reach MOQ, so I can only encourage you to jump on that train and let Andrea develop that clocks too.

Regards,
Hans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driscoll 22 24.jpg (1.03 MB, 526 views)
Old 15th March 2018, 03:17 PM   #1655
gentlevoice is offline gentlevoice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

@Hans: ... ... Thanks for sharing your experiences ... I really sense enthusiasm in your wording ...

Cheers,

Jesper
Old 16th March 2018, 04:50 AM   #1656
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

You could take the 5.4 MHz source and either multiply it (Low Phase Noise Systems – Hints and Tips |) or phase lock a 22 MHz or 44 MHz oscillator. Since its an even ratio the circuit becomes much simpler and should be free of any spurii.
Old 18th March 2018, 12:25 PM   #1657
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triodehunter View Post
Hello Andrea,

This is an update to post #1240.

Time for a feedback! A few days ago I finally managed to get the SC-cut Driscoll 22/24 working. No issues to that whatsoever. I wanted to wait a few days while keeping on listening, because I did not trust my ears, but my listening impressions were confirmed day after day....

From the sonic footprint of my AT-cut Clapp 45/49 I already was so much pleased that I did not expect a huge gain in performance. Yes, I was hoping for an improvement, but this is close to unbelievable.

Soundstage, positioning of instruments, voices, all so live and dynamic...

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Andrea !!!

Having made that experience there is no question that I am also interested in that HC-47/U SC-Cut 3rd overtone 5.6448.

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Group buy (Post #248)

It is not possible to go lower than 22/24 MHz to reach 176.4 / 192 kHz. But there are so many 44.1 kHz CD's that might profit of the furthermore lower phase noise / jitter (lower frequency plus better Q).

The GB for the 47/U SC-cut 5.6448 MHz and 6.144 MHz might not reach MOQ, so I can only encourage you to jump on that train and let Andrea develop that clocks too.

Regards,
Hans
Hi Hans,

nice job!
I'm very glad you have got such that improvement with SC crystals.

I had the same sonic impressions when I installed the 11.2896 SC-cut oscillator in a TDA1541A DAC: very wide soundstage, crystal clear treble but never harsh, voices so realistic.

About 5/6 SC-cut crystals... stay tuned, my discrete DAC is in progress (although it will take long time). It will work up to 192 kHz (or maybe 384 kHz) with such low frequency master clock.

Note for all DAC users: Sigma-Delta aside, the most important signal in digital to analog conversion is the Word Select (the latch signal), not the bit clock (used to load DAC registers). So if your favourite DAC can be driven separately (asyncronous bit clock to load DAC registers, stopped bit clock, synchronous latch directly from the master clock) you could get great improvement driving the Word Select at lower frequencies because at 5/6 MHz you can get crystals with the highest Q as possible, that typically means lower phase noise/jitter.

Andrea
Old 25th March 2018, 12:58 PM   #1658
magicLX521 is offline magicLX521  Germany
diyAudio Member

Great thread!

Does anyone have experience in transformer isolation of the clock circuit?
The SMD isolator is not overly expensive

See
NewClassD Neutrino 24.00
Old 25th March 2018, 01:05 PM   #1659
basreflex is offline basreflex  Spain
diyAudio Member

Looking at the neutrino pictures, it seems a standard 4 channel ethernet transformer.
Old 25th March 2018, 02:50 PM   #1660
magicLX521 is offline magicLX521  Germany
diyAudio Member

Indeed a 5$ device

Would be interesting to hear/measure the galvanic isolation effects
(and possible waveform influecing by the inductances)

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillatorHide this!Advertise here!