Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator
The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2018, 06:17 AM   #1591
gentlevoice is offline gentlevoice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi ... & a Happy New Year to you (& all)

Quote:
Any ideas that will dampen vibrations?
If you look into this thread:

Building a phase noise measurement system for digital audio

... from post #7 there's a discussion of some issues & ideas for damping.

Personally I intend to try out a few different solutions - hoping that a small block of Panzerholz combined maybe with something like "EAR ISODAMP SD" will be sufficient in practice.

Cheers,

Jesper
Old 1st January 2018, 08:26 AM   #1592
ryanj is offline ryanj  Australia
EE Hack
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jesper, and a happy new year to you too.

I've played around with various materials underneath oscillators which did have effects on the sound, not sure if it was necessarily better of worse, just different. I'll look into your suggestions.

Thanks for the link.

Ryan
Old 1st January 2018, 10:33 AM   #1593
andrea_mori is offline andrea_mori  Italy
diyAudio Member

Happy new year to all.

If you have implemented the TWTMC-D&D to supply the oscillator you can use rubber O-ring as in the attached picture (I used O-ring supplied by Ian).

Without the TWTMC-D&D, you can anyway solder the oscillator board to a simple stripboard (prototyping PCB) and then use the same tecnique.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oring.jpg (343.7 KB, 423 views)
Old 2nd January 2018, 05:51 AM   #1594
EE Hack
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andrea, the photo explains a lot. I'm just about to order the parts for the TWTMC-D, so a while off mounting anyhow...

I'm going to try out those LT3042 regs that canvas is using. I might try feeding the 6V reg with a few lithium cells I have here and do a comparison with a mains fed supply.

Really looking forward to trying this one out. I'll let you know how I go.
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:21 PM   #1595
euro21 is offline euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Another method:

Try vibration dampers with isolated washers.

Transfer Multisort Elektronik - On-line Catalogue | 200 000 products offered.
Old 4th January 2018, 08:23 AM   #1596
EE Hack
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro21 View Post
Another method:

Try vibration dampers with isolated washers.

Transfer Multisort Elektronik - On-line Catalogue | 200 000 products offered.
Thanks for the link.
Old 8th January 2018, 08:05 AM   #1597
mr_whocares is offline mr_whocares  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default first impressions: twtmc-d, sc-cut

i want just briefly to share my finding regarding the mtwmt-d.

i am a satisfied user of bbb->hermes->cronus/rhea (45mhz and 49mhz) connected directly to a dddac.
following this very interesting thread - thanks a lot to andrea!!!! - i was very keen to test the cronus with twtmc-d / sc-cut quartz.
because some people reported that the sc-cut quartz does not necessary require an oven and there is no (or only minor) differences in sound performance using the oven, i have first decided to test the board without the oven.
i have currently replaced only the 45mhz Crystek CCHD-957 on the cronus.

the twtmc-d is supplied by two 3.3v and 6v regulators, both using 2x parallel lt3045. the complete audio source is supplied by 3x lifepo4 batteries. the twtmc-d is connected through a 5cm u.fl->u.fl cable to cronus. as the reference the remaining 49mhz Crystek quartz on the cronus is also supplied by a separate 3.3v lt3045 regulator.
the common tantalum input caps (47uf) on the lt3045 boards have been replaced by silmic2 which to my taste deliver a more detailed and "balanced" sound.

my twtmc-d has no trap and works fine with BRF 182 for the desired 45mhz.

results:

the improvement in the sound quality is immediately audible. however, it improves even more after a burn-in time of just one day.

the sound gets more dynamic in the details, more natural, more "air" and the sound stage becomes more "clear" and the music can surely be followed more relaxed. i would like describe my impression in the sound quality imrovement as if "micro gaps" in the music flow get closed!

i was/am very satisfied with the results , however, i was curious how the difference would be by using the oven. so during a listening session we heated up the sc-cut quartz using a hair dryer ( :-) ) to approx. 80-100c . i was very positively surprised to hear the sound improvement as the crystal is getting hot! the sound became significantly more "organic", very relaxed , very emotional so i was quite impressed , especially i did not expect such a significant difference! once you have experienced this relaxed sound, you don't want to go back! so in my opinion the oven is a must for the sc-cut.

the next step is now clear; get the oven up and running! :-D

special thanks again to andrea , and also to all other diy members for keeping us busy enjoying the music

best wishes
Old 8th January 2018, 10:29 AM   #1598
canvas is offline canvas  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Pretty much like what I experienced. The oven makes difference! This XO needs a long time to burn-in. I found minor improvements even after 1000 hrs of power up. Be sure to use separate winding for clock board and oven. BTW, I prefer PO74G04 more than VHC logic.
Old 9th January 2018, 01:03 PM   #1599
mr_whocares is offline mr_whocares  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canvas View Post
Pretty much like what I experienced. The oven makes difference! This XO needs a long time to burn-in. I found minor improvements even after 1000 hrs of power up. Be sure to use separate winding for clock board and oven. BTW, I prefer PO74G04 more than VHC logic.
thanks for the remarks, i will try the PO-type. for the oven i am going to use a separate 16v-psu (incl. its own transformer) as well. the rest of the audio source is supplied by batteries.
best regards
Old 10th January 2018, 09:38 AM   #1600
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

Anybody know how much current the TWTMC-OVN needs?

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillatorHide this!Advertise here!