The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some designs are proprietary. So who knows where yours came from. It's too bad you don't give References.

Well, so you can sue me if you want.

Or you can help the diy audio community starting a new thread where you can link whatever documents you want.
I assume you have the time to do that, while I only have the time to help the community developing high performance devices.

Maybe you can also reference the history of the bjt, that are largely used in all the designs.
But please, don't forget to mention George Ohm, since I use his law a bit when developing.

Well, so you can sue me if you want.

Or you can help the diy audio community starting a new thread where you can link whatever documents you want.
I assume you have the time to do that, while I only have the time to help the community developing high performance devices.

Maybe you can also reference the history of the bjt, that are largely used in all the designs.
But please, don't forget to mention George Ohm, since I use his law a bit when developing.

Epic response!

If it goes on like this, it actually is amusing, but sadly it only became clear in these last 2 posts, many thanks for that;-)

Thanks for developing high performance devices Andrea, don't forget: flies fly above every yummie pie!

Banned - Sockpuppet
Joined 2006
Philosophy 101

Thanks for developing high performance devices....
Even if the TWTMC clocks are 100% pure and patented designs by the TS .... is BUYING a PCB and following a PDF with all the homework done for you ... really creative, worthy-of-time DIY?
It's like a theme-based LEGO kit ... the full, build-it-yourself instructions are provided in the box. And the 5-year-old shows off the results to his parents when completed. But where is the real DIY creativity?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
ex-nihilo, creativity doesn't exist, you always start from somewhere; it's like parents diy at night to make a child, it's always a surprise, not for the best sometimes even if 100% made at home, the result can be flawed... you always have to deals with genes. Happy for us we have not to reinvent wht found Tesla, Volt, thomson, Marconi or it could be a very long diy and maybe not the brain enough for that.

For your information, you never mind as such CD players are totally jitered not only because the SAA7220, you shuld have for your own confusion fixing to have a read from the beginning here about Philips chips and TDA1541A in particular, who knows you may learn something or two and even leave good tips... but I doubt as your requests are 10/15 years late : make up your time lost here imho : Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A

Or it's a troll and the clock beginns to be very good and worry some ??? Is this good ol' Jocko ??? I joke, It was a TNT moment, lol !

Last edited:
Even if the TWTMC clocks are 100% pure and patented designs by the TS .... is BUYING a PCB and following a PDF with all the homework done for you ... really creative, worthy-of-time DIY?
It's like a theme-based LEGO kit ... the full, build-it-yourself instructions are provided in the box. And the 5-year-old shows off the results to his parents when completed. But where is the real DIY creativity?

The definition of "DIY" can confuse many.
It's merely choosing what to do yourself and how much creativity there's left if you weigh the chances of making it better, or just solder around.

This project is one of many: it's diy in soldering (ikea style if you wish), you can tweak and optimize by ear (hardly recommended in this case, given the excellent base quality), or you can buy some really expensive measurement equipment and research the net for breaches of patents etc an be done with it in about 10 to 20 years time.
But there's more of course.

This pcb can functions as a core (heartbeat if you wish) of many digital devices. Many of which are DIY.

Etc

Now I have seriuos problems to follow your "Philosophy", so I have to give up.

BTW, if you are looking for "the real DIY creativity" you can design the oscillator by yourself, since following this thread is not mandatory.

I hope to start the new GB within the end of June, that will include:

- Driscoll and Differential oscillators (SC-Cut crystal only from 5 to 24 MHz, finished board without crystal and bare PCB)
- New Pierce bjt oscillator (AT-Cut crystal only from 5 to 98 MHz, finished board without crystal and bare PCB)
- New Pierce gate oscillator (entry level version, only AT-Cut crystals 22/24 MHz, finished board with crystal only)
- Frequency Doubler (MHz: 5/6 to 11/12, 11/12 to 22/24, 22/24 to 45/49, 45/49 to 90/98, finished board and bare PCB)
- Sine to Square Converter (small board to fit Ian's FIFO, finished board only)
- AT-Cut and SC-Cut crystals from Laptech (from 5 to 98 MHz)

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Once upon a time i ordered:

22.5792 MHz Laptech crystal fundamental 1
24.5760 MHz Laptech crystal fundamental 1
TWTMC-C Xo PCB 2
TWTMC-D&D Daughter board PCB 1

But, shamefully, I have not built them yet. The reason is that I dont have a DAC to put them in.

Now, with the recent development in this project, can I reuse parts of what I have and maybe order some of the new stuff to get even higher performance than with the original parts?

I wonder... :)

//

Once upon a time i ordered:

22.5792 MHz Laptech crystal fundamental 1
24.5760 MHz Laptech crystal fundamental 1
TWTMC-C Xo PCB 2
TWTMC-D&D Daughter board PCB 1

But, shamefully, I have not built them yet. The reason is that I dont have a DAC to put them in.

Now, with the recent development in this project, can I reuse parts of what I have and maybe order some of the new stuff to get even higher performance than with the original parts?

I wonder... :)

//

Only the new Pierce Bjt oscillator is suitable for 22/24 MHz AT-Cut crystals, I will publish the phase noise plot as soon as it will be tested and tuned.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Never too late to beginn work on good R2R designs TNT and save time ;)... I suspect we are beginng to be deaf but not a reason not to start a new dac ! a not flawed brand new discrete, or a good AD1862 chips or TD1541A simultaneous mode at 5.6 Mhz :)

Last edited:
Banned - Sockpuppet
Joined 2006
PDF creativity

ex-nihilo, creativity doesn't exist,
Actually, and as noted earlier, I found the twtmc PDF documents quite well written and designed. The tech writers at LEGO also do a wonderful job. This is "creativity."
For your information, you never mind as such CD players are totally jitered not only because the SAA7220, you shuld have for your own confusion fixing to have a read from the beginning here about Philips chips and TDA1541A in particular, who knows you may learn something or two and even leave good tips... but I doubt as your requests are 10/15 years late : make up your time lost here imho : Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A
Are you sure that I have not already gone down that path (NOS), maybe multiple times, with elegant designs, and never found zero OS sonics all that interesting?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I hope to start the new GB within the end of June, that will include:

- Driscoll and Differential oscillators (SC-Cut crystal only from 5 to 24 MHz, finished board without crystal and bare PCB)
- New Pierce bjt oscillator (AT-Cut crystal only from 5 to 98 MHz, finished board without crystal and bare PCB)
- New Pierce gate oscillator (entry level version, only AT-Cut crystals 22/24 MHz, finished board with crystal only)
- Frequency Doubler (MHz: 5/6 to 11/12, 11/12 to 22/24, 22/24 to 45/49, 45/49 to 90/98, finished board and bare PCB)
- Sine to Square Converter (small board to fit Ian's FIFO, finished board only)
- AT-Cut and SC-Cut crystals from Laptech (from 5 to 98 MHz)

This looks mighty impressive, Andrea, and I reckon that you & your co-workers have spent quite some time doing the design, PCBs, measurements etc.

However, given that you are doing both AT & SC cut based oscillators - of various degrees of "perfection" I suppose - I wonder if you have also had time to listen to the various options? I also notice that the Pierce has re-entered the range of options - may I ask if there is any particular reason for this?

Cheers from a Denmark getting hotter ...

Jesper

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.