DAC AD1853 with discrete output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AD1853 "Semigor" DAC (Author: Igor Seminin) with discrete output in class A.

What do you think about this DAC?

Attachments

• Semigor 2 Schematic.jpg
    Semigor 2 Schematic.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 1,036
I can not decipher schematics very well.

Personally I am skeptical to discrete op-amp's, since they usually have very high distortion compared to AD797, LME49990, LT1363, I think it's more realistic to use these chips biased to Class-A.

The AD1853 is interesting but the AD1866 is pure R-2R I think, I prefer to support the pure R-2R, thermometer, string DAC's, not the Sigma-Delta, they are just cheaper to produce that's all.

The schematic looks sort of mysterious and pretty, maybe it sounds nice, I have no idea.

I can not decipher schematics very well.

Personally I am skeptical to discrete op-amp's, since they usually have very high distortion compared to AD797, LME49990, LT1363, I think it's more realistic to use these chips biased to Class-A.

The AD1853 is interesting but the AD1866 is pure R-2R I think, I prefer to support the pure R-2R, thermometer, string DAC's, not the Sigma-Delta, they are just cheaper to produce that's all.

The schematic looks sort of mysterious and pretty, maybe it sounds nice, I have no idea.
I wanted to made AD1862 but it not produced. :(
I can get PCM1702U-K, but the price is 110 USD...:mad:
p/s: Jean Hiraga's Le Monstre 8W and Jean Hiraga's Super Class A 20W.;)

How does the PCM1702U-K compare to PCM1704U-K?

Are they directly switchable? Look at the Lingmei XA2 on Taobao.

PCM1704 not good, than PCM1702, AD1862 much better. PCM1704 - 24 bit, but realy 20 bit. From BB the best DACs: PCM58, PCM63, PCM64, PCM65 and PCM1701.
Very good DAC was Ultra Analog D20400.

Good and best delta-sigma:
AD1853, PCM1794, SM5865, CS4328, CDX2562, NM64735.

The Lingmei looks good value but its got the standard design traits (toroidals, power board separate from DAC, no mains filtering). It would take a lot of work to add better regs onto the DAC board itself. Running the LEDs to the front panel in the same loom as the raw mains can't help much with mains isolation.

The Lingmei looks good value but its got the standard design traits (toroidals, power board separate from DAC, no mains filtering). It would take a lot of work to add better regs onto the DAC board itself. Running the LEDs to the front panel in the same loom as the raw mains can't help much with mains isolation.

If you want total isolation from public mains, maybe to make DAC's power supply on batteries.

And what do you think about class a discrete output, did you hear such DAC?

Yep batteries are probably the best way to get total isolation. But managing the isolation is normally enough. I plan to use not batteries but supercaps on my next DAC build - they look to have lower impedance (hence lower noise) than batteries.

No, never heard a PCM1704 with any kind of output stage. I think passive I/V then fairly steep passive filtering is the optimum, discrete OPS with no filtering would be worse sounding than this.

Yep batteries are probably the best way to get total isolation. But managing the isolation is normally enough. I plan to use not batteries but supercaps on my next DAC build - they look to have lower impedance (hence lower noise) than batteries.

No, never heard a PCM1704 with any kind of output stage. I think passive I/V then fairly steep passive filtering is the optimum, discrete OPS with no filtering would be worse sounding than this.

I'll use CRC for output 20000 uF+4,7 om+40000 uF, and CLC for digital and analog parts of DAC 9400 uF+L+18800 uF. Resistors will be 0,25% 15 ppm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.