Best DAC DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to everyone !
In am a new diyer and in these days i was looking for a good sound dac project to assemble.
Unfortunately there are many and many projects and i can't understand what is the best .
I have searched on ebay and on the lampizator site and it seems that wolfson are the best chip for dac.
Also there are asyncronous type and the NOS type dac but sincerely and i can't understand if there is a relly good one or if they are all good to sound
Please help me

If you really care about sound quality I'd avoid Wolfson DACs. Go for a design that uses a cheap multibit chip to begin with, then tweak it to taste.

Lot of ppl. use wolfsons and very happy with it. Don't have to use a multibit to get good sound. As he is a beginner, you should not advise a harder to build device anyway. Well built and well designed dac will sound good anyway.

Define 'best'.

Lowest cost? Highest cost? Easiest to assemble? Most accurate reproduction? Most pleasant inaccurate reproduction? Most readily available from reliable dealer? etc.

You're right!!!
For me the best = most accurate reproduction at the right cost .
technically there are many solution, but they are very hard to try all.

With your help, I hope to be able to classify the different kits and you can get a better idea of which solution to implement.
The best thing would be to have a modular system, maybe you can modify or expand over time

Do you have an idea about a good DIY kit with wolfson chip?

With your help, I hope to be able to classify the different kits and you can get a better idea of which solution to implement.
The best thing would be to have a modular system, maybe you can modify or expand over time
Whay do you think abot LAMPIZATOR ?
He uses tubes in the outpust stahe isn't it ?

Lot of ppl. use wolfsons and very happy with it.

Not disputed.

Don't have to use a multibit to get good sound.

Which non-multibits beat multibits in your experience?

As he is a beginner, you should not advise a harder to build device anyway.

Why would Wolfson (in a very small TSSOP package with sub-mm pin spacing) be easier for a DIYer to build than say a TDA1543 in a DIL8 package?

I don't have experience with multibit dac. I only red some about it and who heard both, usually sad that lot more depends on the IV convertersion and the amp section, then with others. Like the wolfson doesn't need IV converter and can be directly connected = easier.
But you also forgot to mention the saber ES9018 that is considered to be one of the best. I also built one, sounds great. But just like many oters dac chips, need IV conversion and an OPA and it has huge impact in sound.
From what I red about multibit seemed similar like the tubes. Like tube is the one and true way of everything... Some wrote normally about multibits, pros and cons, others sad it is superior and 1bits are junks and stuff. I can't take those ppl seriously. The dac chip matters, but a crapy system can make a good chip sound bad and also a good system can give a mediocre chip wings. Input, output and power sections are just as important as the dac chip.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.