Signalyst DSC1

high quality tube output board

The high-quality tube output (I/V) board used on the RAKK DAC is currently available from K&K (Kevin Carter):
Raleigh Audio Line Stage – K & K Audio
Scroll about halfway down the page and you will see the linestage boards; these are the same as used for the output board in the RAKK DAC, with the mounting locations for the tantalum current-to-voltage resistors visible on the edge of the board. K&K have an excellent reputation, so these should be a great choice of output converter for anyone wanting a modern tube circuit, with constant current source plate loads and shunt regulators.

BOM of last DSC2 prototype

@ppy
Hi Pavel, I am thinking about building your last prototype but ran into a problem with your BOM
I don't know whether I should order the component that matches with the name in your BOM, or the one that matches with the datasheet in the BOM.
Please let me know, or even better, fix the BOM as a last and final thing before you leave the project completely behind you, so that everyone knows what you inteded your final version of the DSC2 to look like.

I'm enjoying an alternative approach to DSD playback - it's awesome.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/dig...-linear-audio-volume-13-a-46.html#post6296284

RRRuhae.jpg

Last edited:
Oh and Pavel, would you please comment on/fix the layout error. Thanks
I am no longer developing DSC2. The latest version is published "as is". This is a complete KiCad project with the sources. You can correct the errors yourself.

P.S. The latest firmware has changed the MUTE signal. The old Botic7 driver signal is still at 27pin. On 28pin I have implemented my own MUTE signal. It is more efficient with HQP and Roon.

Last edited:
I am no longer developing DSC2. The latest version is published "as is". This is a complete KiCad project with the sources. You can correct the errors yourself.

P.S. The latest firmware has changed the MUTE signal. The old Botic7 driver signal is still at 27pin. On 28pin I have implemented my own MUTE signal. It is more efficient with HQP and Roon.

Thanks, I thought so, but it was worth asking plus I am not the best with KiCad...have you @nguyentanvu90 or anybody else corrected the KiCad project?

Good to know -thanks for the info Pavel.

Hi Pavel,

i have built the DSC 2 dac 1 year ago. My question is: Is the last prototype significally better then mine?
It woth to build last version?
I'm happy if anyone can summarize the differences between old version and new one.

Maybe nguyentanvu90 would also like to share his thoughts since he is one of the few who built the last prototype.
I'll do a thorough comparison between the two once I got the PCB for the new prototype in my hands, assambled the dac and let it play for some time. However, I'll also be using Ivan's (bisesik) 1:7 output transformers for the new version, so this might make the comparison quite unfair:D
But my guess from lookimg at the schematic and parts used and since Pavel is really good at what he does, is that the new version will surely be better...how much -we'll see, but definitely better :)

Just came to my mind that maybe some implementations that suffer from noise are using 3.3V 595's? I chose NXP AHCT595 running from 5V supply for very specific reasons.

...I've done quite a bit of measurements on my unit... Specifically at DSD512 and DSD256 rates. But I'm sticking quit a lot to DSD256 because it gives noise floor < -160 dB up to ~100 kHz. And the switching rate doesn't get too high for settling times, and allows using EC modulators with current processors.

Problem with my original low-pass filter is that if you look at the datasheets, channel separation between the channels of dual op-amp decreases as function of frequency (capacitive coupling). This of course creates a problem when used in a low-pass reconstruction filter. So I'm pretty much back to using AD797's for that.

It is quite strange beast indeed. And now I could create AMSDM7EC as well, maybe I'll look into that. Although other EC modulators cannot run at 512 rates, that one has more parallelization opportunities.

It could work well with both DSC DACs as well as some other discrete implementations and the very latest AKM chips.

See post 1831. Ppy also had troubles, also couldn't pinpoint it.
It could be badly handled cmos (esd etc), faulty/dirty pads etc etc.

I double checked and you had me worried there for a moment but I used nxp hct's, original stuff, shouldn't have been the problem.

Either way, I saw you updated the amsdm7, which is sometimes a real charm to have as an option. I still have to upgrade to HQP4 though, as well as some hardware upgrades.

Many thanks for the options, it's a real toolbox sometimes, and the first choice for casual playback as well!

Have a good weekend,

Marco

Hi, PPY.

I have made a BBB-Reclock with files from your https://puredsd.ru, and thank you for the great work.

I am now plugging the BBB + BBB-Reclock to the Chinese Balanced DSC1. The HQplayer is playing DSD normally with the BBB as output device. But there is now music coming out from the balanced DSC. No relay action sound was heard.

The Chinese Balanced DSC works very well with its USB XMOS device. So, the question is: does the BBB-Reclock works directly plugged into the Chinese Balanced DSC? Or shall I make some change or adjustment to make it work?

Thank you!