Signalyst DSC1

ok... it sounds amazing. not sure what found pavel on the new shift register/resistors...
but this re-arrangment of the topology is flawless to me. improved almost in every regard.

i want to experiment with the mute signaling coming from the fifo... maybe i will re-spin the board one more time with that...
Excuse me for my ignorance, but what is a "St!ck" ?
I have tried to Google it , but without any meningsfuld results.

Excuse me for my ignorance, but what is a "St!ck" ?
I have tried to Google it , but without any meningsfuld results.

there's nothing to excuse... "St!ck" is just a fancy name i gave to identify this iteration of the DSC. read as stick, from the form factor. nothing more :D

i have experimented a little where to pick the muting signal for the output, and found out that the one provided by the McFifo(dualXO) is just the best to use. it deactivate just few clk pulses after start, and re-activate just few clk pulses before stop. indipendent from the queue depth you choose.
so i will re-iterate the board to fix this and so eliminating some not-anymore-needed isolators in the process.

i think i will open a new thread about them, just to keep thing cleanly separated and avoiding a big blob of infos.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Are the mentioned improvement relative to DSC 2.5.2 / 2.6.2 (with the same output xformer) ?

yes... i came from a setup like this

Beaglebone -> McFifo/DualXO(NDK clks)-> DSC 2.6.2 (NXP SR/MELF 0.5% res) -> Bysek xfrmr

to

Beaglebone + Sender (to make signals differentials at origin) -> McFifo/DualXO(NDK clks) -> 2x DSC St!ck (NXP / NOMCA resistors) -> Bysek xfrmr

Not so much in the high-end of the spectrum, rather in the mid/bass. more resolution and speed, more control and depth, something that my stiff ear drums was able to pick up pretty easily... so i guess someone with more training in listening will found more subtle nuances...

in this whole process i am waiting like crazy for the last iterations of the andrea_mori's TWTMC... eager to connect them to push it to the next level (i hope... :) )

Last edited:
Uhmm... The Well Tempered Master Clock ... I was totally not aware of that !!
Interesting project.
Can't wait to know about the developments.

For now, only a simpler question. Can You give me some hits about optimal components (R1 and Vref, Rx or CCS?) to supply DSC 2.6.2 with Salas' Reflektor D ?
Thanks

For now, only a simpler question. Can You give me some hits about optimal components (R1 and Vref, Rx or CCS?) to supply DSC 2.6.2 with Salas' Reflektor D ?
Thanks

not sure what the question is... btw if i got you correctly you wanna know what to use as reference for ref-D to supply the outputs of the dsc 2.6.2.

i have always used two green led, as per reccomended specs, and i have ended up in the region of 5.01<Vout<5.1. In the St!cks i have found some 0603 smd led that got very close characteristics to the suggested PTH parts.
you have to found some led that got ~1.9v @ 2ma. that's all.
At least that is what i have used on the 2.6.2

Sorry for my fuzzy question regarding Salas Ref.D,
maybe a better explanation can be:
R1 is to be set depending on the current drawn from the PSU.
Vref refers to the components used to set the output voltage. Your answer is perfect: two green LEDs, corresponding to 5.01 - 5.1 V range
Rx refers to a resistor (in series with green LEDs) used to set the voltage.
In a variation of the Salas circuit, introduced with the newest "mini" version, Rx can be replaced with an active load (constant current source, CCS) made with a small FET (if I remember well).
Anyway Your answer is the main info I needed

Sorry for my fuzzy question regarding Salas Ref.D,
maybe a better explanation can be:
R1 is to be set depending on the current drawn from the PSU.
Vref refers to the components used to set the output voltage. Your answer is perfect: two green LEDs, corresponding to 5.01 - 5.1 V range
Rx refers to a resistor (in series with green LEDs) used to set the voltage.
In a variation of the Salas circuit, introduced with the newest "mini" version, Rx can be replaced with an active load (constant current source, CCS) made with a small FET (if I remember well).
Anyway Your answer is the main info I needed

Now i got it :eek:

for the current-set resistor i have used 2 ohm for ~330ma of CCS.
Rx was not used, just the two green led. The res you can swap for a current sink (i have used the 2sk880gr) is the R6.

Now i got it :eek:

for the current-set resistor i have used 2 ohm for ~330ma of CCS.
Rx was not used, just the two green led. The res you can swap for a current sink (i have used the 2sk880gr) is the R6.

From the Reflektor D build guide, a current-set resistor of 1.2 ohm is suggested for the 200-350 mA range.

Yes, JFET current sink can replace R6
Rx is mainly used for 3.3V output so it can be omitted

Yes...

Did you tried?

Yes, but i have mostly moved on from the DSC-2. Although I am continually watching for new developments. It worked well with the RefleKtors. BTW, Mundorf has a new foil power resistor which I really want to try for the current set in Salas shunts (very expensive though...)

I have a Bricasti M3 right now, with a dedicated discrete DSD conversion section, which is sounding really, really good for me.

Well,
a little late on my self-imposed schedule.

Sticks are assembled and tested inside and out.

They are running fine, simple and exceptional.

Now its time to take care of the docs...

Attachments

• 20200704_141105 (Large).jpg
    20200704_141105 (Large).jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 733
  • 20200704_143122 (Large).jpg
    20200704_143122 (Large).jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 721
Yes, but i have mostly moved on from the DSC-2. Although I am continually watching for new developments. It worked well with the RefleKtors. BTW, Mundorf has a new foil power resistor which I really want to try for the current set in Salas shunts (very expensive though...)

I have a Bricasti M3 right now, with a dedicated discrete DSD conversion section, which is sounding really, really good for me.

Bricasti are an interesting Pro Audio company that don't necessarily take the
usual approach to design. The AD1955 DAC chips are an example of this.

Their M7 digital reverb unit is absolutely superb.
They are ex-Lexicon folk, Lexicon being basically the forefather of digital audio reverb / special effects.

Does the M3's use something like a discrete resistor pulse arrray DAC for
DSD? They might well also be 'pre conditioning' the DSD data stream before
it is sent to the DAC arrays.

TCD

Well,
a little late on my self-imposed schedule.

Sticks are assembled and tested inside and out.

They are running fine, simple and exceptional.

Now its time to take care of the docs...

@gionag : I cannot see it well in your pics, what is the oscillator solution you are playing with ? Is it something that you have also developed for the DSC ?. It looks super neat :)