Signalyst DSC1

Joined 2009
Paid Member

Attachments

• IMG_20200529_172526[1].jpg
    IMG_20200529_172526[1].jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 742
The development of the latest version of DSC2 is completed. But not yet implemented as real PCBs. I hope someone can bring this version to its logical end.
I offer a complete set of project files in the KCad format - http://puredsd.ru/dsc2expra_rel.zip.
The project documentation and source code is published on an “as is”.

ondrejk53 found a small logical error in the circuit. Instead of U36 you need to solder 2-4 pins.

ondrejk53 found a small logical error in the circuit. Instead of U36 you need to solder 2-4 pins.

make sense...
still haven't digged enough in your schematics to get an idea of them.

for what is worth, i have already received all the parts and just waiting to get the new pcbs for the BB-Sender and the DSC-St!ck.

I will keep you posted... but if i have to guess, is far from ready to publish something good :D

Attachments

• downImg.png
    downImg.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 677
  • downImg_sndr.png
    downImg_sndr.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 654
little update on my work-log.

both the "sender" and one of the two mono output boards was assembled and (electrically speaking) they are working.
i will proceed with the reflow of the second channel, and then i will report you back my finding on how it performs playing some music :)

Attachments

• 20200606_145010 (Medium).jpg
    20200606_145010 (Medium).jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 746
Very interesting,
Seems that you made extensive use of Salas' shunt PSU, also in a smd version, onboard.

Keep us informed about your work!

P.S. I'm sorry to hear about Pavel stopped development, anyway I hope the community can keep this little diamond alive. Gionag's one is certainly a first step in that direction.
As a proud owner of a (not yet operative) DSC 2.6, I am grateful to the people that made this real (Jussi, Pavel) and also other active members

Very interesting,
Seems that you made extensive use of Salas' shunt PSU, also in a smd version, onboard.

I have assembled a DSC2 (sold), then a 2.6.2 to use with McFifo and now the St!ck's.
I had every time modded each to uses the Reflektor's from Salas. instead of the integrated regulators. I found (personally...) that the sound improved a lot using shunts. never tried the ultrabib though.

I have made a transposition from the published Reflektor-D mini schematic making an SMD version (almost every component used had their direct counterpart in smd).

Will keep you posted on how it sings

Very Cool

little update on my work-log.

both the "sender" and one of the two mono output boards was assembled and (electrically speaking) they are working.
i will proceed with the reflow of the second channel, and then i will report you back my finding on how it performs playing some music :)

Wow, that is excellent work, and I ma glad to hear that it is all working. I am following with great interest with your developments.
Your mute signals control is from where exactly?

Wow, that is excellent work, and I ma glad to hear that it is all working. I am following with great interest with your developments.
Your mute signals control is from where exactly?

i feel the urge to explain a little better what is the "routing" is... but will be addressed in the future ...

btw, the mute signal is coming straight from the beaglebone, isolated on the St!ck's.

Yes...

Can't quote you more.
and despite the very good algorithms that hqplayer uses... i found that native DSD material sound almost everytime better than the best pcm file converted.

Yes, that is mostly my experience as well. Although I do not find nearly as much difference when the original PCM rate (of the recording) is higher than 44.1. I suspect this is because native DSD recording does not require a (harsh/steep) anti alias filter, and find that using filter settings in oversampling which are anodizing helpful for oversampling PCM files to DSD.
I still prefer the sound of oversampling PCM to DSD 256 vs any kind of direct PCM playback, including various R2R DACs of my experience. Even with ESS based DACs, but mores with DSC-2, or Bricasti native DSD conversion.

Last edited:
ok... it sounds amazing. not sure what found pavel on the new shift register/resistors...
but this re-arrangment of the topology is flawless to me. improved almost in every regard.

i want to experiment with the mute signaling coming from the fifo... maybe i will re-spin the board one more time with that...

Attachments

• 20200607_201820 (Medium).jpg
    20200607_201820 (Medium).jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 665
Last edited: