Signalyst DSC1

output Z

Is there anybody know DSC v2 oupput impedance with and without transformer.?

And Can we replace transformer with passive volume attunator? Or it has other functions like filtering some noise?

This has been posted already earlier in the thread somewhere. As I recall, Pavel's boards with transformers had an output impedance that was pretty high. At least a few hundred Ohms. Indeed if you do not use the transformer you would need to add additional filer elements as the transformer does act as the final filter stage for the DSD noise.
Given the already high output impedance the use of a passive volume control without any buffer/gain stage after it would be ill advised. These boards have low enough output voltage and high enough output impedance that I would suggest they are best used into an active preamp with some gain and a high input impedance.
For my build I needed more gain to drive my amplifier directly (especially considering that one needs to attenuate the signal by -3 to -6 dB before oversampling to DSD to avoid clipping). I ended up using a Muses volume control chip after the DSC-2, followed by an active gain stage (amb Alpha 24) so that I could drive an amplifier directly with analog volume control and low output impedance.

Last edited:
Yesterday evening the first serious listening test about the new dsc module with CT7302 vs NAA (Network Audio Adapter) DSC module.

The quality of the last DSC with CT7302 is very high, the same details and the same sound stage of the NAA DSC module.

The NAA DSC module with HQplayer filters is a little bit more softer but it is not easy define if it is more or less near to the real sound.

Using the CT7302 with jRiver the sound is very natural and analog.

Soon I will test the prototype of the new CT7302 DSC module realized by Quang Hao.

The kit of Quang Hao will include a controller module with remote to select input, volume, swap channels and output dsd frequency.

Probably he will open a Group Buy.

Last edited:
HQPlayer, best set up...

Of course it does not seem possible that a small chip like the ct7302 can do the same processing that saturates an Intel i5 CPU.

In the next weeks I will receive the CT7302 DSC module to continue this listening test and to finish the firmware of the controller.

Has your testing included HQP 4 and the new EC modulators? So far the feedback is quite postive for the superiority of the EC modulators. These require a very powerful processor (Intel i7 9700K or faster recommended) running with Turbo boost (requires over 4 GHz). With the EC modulators, DSD 512 cannot be achieved with current processors, but users are reporting better performance from HQP 4 with the EC modulators at DSD 256, than the any of the previous versions running at DSD 512.

Yesterday evening the first serious listening test about the new dsc module with CT7302 vs NAA (Network Audio Adapter) DSC module.

At face value this is confusing as you seem to be comparing apples with pears; the CT7302 is an upsampling/resampling chip whereas the NAA is a lightweight audio renderer? You seem to be actually comparing the CT7302 with HQPlayer on a powerful PC as you allude to in your follow up post.

Has your testing included HQP 4 and the new EC modulators? So far the feedback is quite postive for the superiority of the EC modulators. These require a very powerful processor (Intel i7 9700K or faster recommended) running with Turbo boost (requires over 4 GHz). With the EC modulators, DSD 512 cannot be achieved with current processors, but users are reporting better performance from HQP 4 with the EC modulators at DSD 256, than the any of the previous versions running at DSD 512.

On my setup (i7-9700k clocked @ 4.5ghz) with EC modulators i had do "downgrade" from DSD256 to DSD128... but the quality improvement was substantial.

In the end i think i will consider to test the same configuration under linux trying to obtain a little more headroom for cpu and then try EC + dsd256.

Maybe you could clarify what comparison/listening test you are doing? What specifically is the CT7302 doing?

CT7302 is a chipset that make "on-the-fly" conversion from PCM to DSD. it is not the only one in existance... but it seems to perform better among them.

i will consider ct7302 just for the ease-of-use. you can connect almost any digital source to it and it upsample/convert for you without a computer.

At this point I think I was not very clear in explaining the purpose of this listening test.

The CT7302 showed very valid data in the measurements so I wanted to verify that even the sound is good.

Obviously HQPlayer remains a reference software with incredible performances.

Unfortunately your measurements of CT7302 are limited by the DAC's
performance and as such are fairly meaningless.

This is in French but it shows the actual performance of this ASRC

YouTube

There seem to be some sort of low level distortion issues.

YouTube

T

Interesting...

On my setup (i7-9700k clocked @ 4.5ghz) with EC modulators i had do "downgrade" from DSD256 to DSD128... but the quality improvement was substantial.

In the end i think i will consider to test the same configuration under linux trying to obtain a little more headroom for cpu and then try EC + dsd256.

At this thread:

HQPlayer version 4 requirements - Software - Audiophile Style

It is suggested that the !7-9700K is perfectly suited to HQPlayer 4 with EC modulators, with no overclocking for DSD 256. Note that the most recent update to HQP 4 did reduce the resources required to run it.