Signalyst DSC1

Hi
I have discrete I2S and DSD dac. Interface is Amanero. I had some issues with Mute control. I tried different circuits but the "clicks" when changing states somehow was present...
I made this mute circuit to control I2S and DSD brenches by disable chips. Enable is negative low 0, disable is hi 1. Since digital interface is isolated from the diskrete circuits, this mute circuit use optoisolator which inverts the input state. This signals can additionally tie together + and - outputs...
Next I have to add mute signal to manage relay switch to analog end - to connecting and disconnecting DSD or I2S from interstage transformer and buffer stage, because they are common for booth dacs.

Attachments

• Amanero DSD and I2S mute circuit.png
    Amanero DSD and I2S mute circuit.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 809
Do you...

Hi
I have discrete I2S and DSD dac. Interface is Amanero. I had some issues with Mute control. I tried different circuits but the "clicks" when changing states somehow was present...
I made this mute circuit to control I2S and DSD brenches by disable chips. Enable is negative low 0, disable is hi 1. Since digital interface is isolated from the diskrete circuits, this mute circuit use optoisolator which inverts the input state. This signals can additionally tie together + and - outputs...
Next I have to add mute signal to manage relay switch to analog end - to connecting and disconnecting DSD or I2S from interstage transformer and buffer stage, because they are common for booth dacs.

Do you re-clock after the opt isolators? They introduce substantial jitter and the signal should be re-clocked after them.

Do you re-clock after the opt isolators? They introduce substantial jitter and the signal should be re-clocked after them.

This time I not recklocked after ISO. Because the master clocks are 22.xxx and 24.xxx MHz. And they are not high enough to recklock below 192KHz of Sampling rate. BCK (and DATA) becomes high as MCK and I think clocking could not be done. MCK should be at least 2x higher than BCK (and DATA) at given SR to be reclocked.
Other issue is that if You want true ISO and RECKLOCK after isolation barrier, You have to isolate MCK signal as well... To be clock in Flip-Flop cascade...
I just want in this experiment to try to use differential transmitter and diff. receiver after ISO. And acheive inverted -DATA for ballanced DAC operation. Simply by inverting + and - diff transmition line...
And its working very good up to max SRs 35x and 38x KHz booth I2S and DSD :)

Just got my PCBs tonight. First time soldering SMD, I’ve got a few bridges, need to wick away some of the extra solder and straighten out some components...but I dont think it’s too bad?!

e1Ft3Xy.jpg

0m9Wsls.jpg

Let me know if you guys see anything amiss, before I let the smoke out!

Thanks a lot Pavel and everyone else who helped out with this project!

This time I not recklocked after ISO. Because the master clocks are 22.xxx and 24.xxx MHz. And they are not high enough to recklock below 192KHz of Sampling rate. BCK (and DATA) becomes high as MCK and I think clocking could not be done. MCK should be at least 2x higher than BCK (and DATA) at given SR to be reclocked.

I am sure that when using an isolator, a recloker is required. Here is my diagram of the latter version. Gerbers need to fix minor bugs. Therefore, I will post them in a few days.

BBB or Amanero work in slave mode and get MCLK from high-quality NDK 45/49Mhz generators.

Attachments

• IMG_20181019_090035.jpg
    IMG_20181019_090035.jpg
    988.5 KB · Views: 643
  • IMG_20181019_085932.jpg
    IMG_20181019_085932.jpg
    985.7 KB · Views: 606
  • DSC2.pdf
    243.8 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
I am sure that when using an isolator, a recloker is required. Here is my diagram of the latter version. Gerbers need to fix minor bugs. Therefore, I will post them in a few days.

BBB or Amanero work in slave mode and get MCLK from high-quality NDK 45/49Mhz generators.

Yes in some cases could increase the jitter. But reckloking with just one flip-flop can do the same. Additionally, when using 1 x flip flop, the output data is shifted just 1/2 period of clocking time... And going into meta-stabile state.
It should be reckloked with 2 x flipflop. Only in that way the outputs will be in Line and same rising or falling edge. Additionl care shoul be taken because some USB to I2S/DSD interfaces has opposite phase MCK, falling edge, and it diiffers from the standard rising edge of MCK and BCK lines... I mesure it with a digital scope. Some XMOS interfaces have faling edge of MCK... Amanro have right phase of the MCK.
But reckloking is wery conveniant for getting + and - data lines for ballanced operation. I used RCKL many times but in the way I wrote. Also I tryed with diff transmitter/receiver to obtain +,- digital bus lines, and that is working great.
I think that in amaneros slave mode some pins are loosing functions when becomes inputs for the exernal MCKs? And as I am remember one is Mute?

I have pretty good sound outcome experimenting with 3-state logic. Made this new concept of 1bit DSD dac with idea to match differences in PNP and NPN output stages of logic IC and use ENABLE as input. While Inputs are tied to +Vcc and ground. So when the data is 1 this module is disabled and so on... It will be more clear from the sch.
In this version I used ISO and RCKL it was more easy to get +, and - data lines. But I clocked with MCK. Not BCK as usual. With MCK I found better sonic results...
Now I am thinking to extend this experiment for 32 bit version with shift registers 595, but 128 driver HC540 ICs per channel I have to order... :(

Attachments

• DSD NEW concept copy.png
    DSD NEW concept copy.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:

Pin 6 in Amanero schematic are MCLK output. But in Your schematic, this is MCLK input from NDK Reclocked.
Any error at here or no? sorry for my ignorance.