Signalyst DSC1

Thanks for extensive comments. I applied for a 2.5.2 board, so I'm going to receive once with the fixed IC. As a first step I'll feed the board with laptop and USB/Amanero but my dream is to arrange something minimal and self containing like that:

- Wtfplayer for DSD playout (astonishing sound). The developer is working on the Odroid ARM build (I will ask for BBB compatibility)
- BBB as computing (music on a USB key or SD card)
- Clock/Isolation board
- DSC2.5.2

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Update Botic with Amanero mute pin

Just a general question about your BBB usage with DSC2 2.5

Is your setup BBB>I2S>DSC2 or BBB>USB>Amanero>DCS2?

I'm looking from long time for a solution capable to jump over USB and directly land into I2S for pure DSD playout. I read around and saw implementations with Rasperry or BBB but in all of the cases there was a lack in mute implementation, that's not acceptable in my scenario (high expensive speakers).

Absolutely. I’ll provide instructions and download link tomorrow.

Short instructions:

1. Login as root

2. Test the kernel:
Code:
uname -r

It should read:
Code:
4.8.13-botic7-rc3
If it doesn't, then find the instructions to update to this release. I'm almost certain the driver I compiled will not work on other releases.

3. Download the updated driver:
Code:
wget [url]https://github.com/luchoh/botic-dev/releases/download/mute-v48/davinci.zip[/url]

4. [Optional] Install unzip if you don't have it already.

5. Unzip
Code:
unzip davinci.zip -d botic-driver
This will create a folder botic-driver and extract the archive in it.

6. Go to folder and execute the script:
Code:
cd botic-driver && ./install-davinci.sh

If you don't see any errors, you're good. Now is the time to configure.

7. Check if all is good by listing this folder:

Code:
ls /sys/module/snd_soc_davinci_mcasp/parameters/

You should see two new files:
Code:
amanero_mute_delay  amanero_mute_pins

8. The important file is amanero_mute_pins

It takes a bit mask, so for D5 on Cronus, do this:

Code:
echo 4 > /sys/module/snd_soc_davinci_mcasp/parameters/amanero_mute_pins

Since the first three (D0-D2) are signal wires, 100 (binary 4) is the third pin after that (D3, D4, D5).

One can test this experimentally - when not playing, you should have HIGH on the said pin and when playing - LOW.

9. Important considerations:

9.1. miero indicated that you should have the two non-DSD lines free, but I'm not 100% certain. In any case, my
Code:
cat /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/serconfig
reads DD--

9.2. If you have the old version of DSC2, invert the
Code:
cat /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/dai_format
Mine reads 17409
There are instructions on miero's site.

9.3. To make all this permanent between reboots, edit the /boot/uEnv.txt file.
I have this for the items I mentioned above:
Code:
optargs=snd_soc_botic.serconfig=DD-- snd_soc_botic.dai_format=17409 snd_soc_davinci_mcasp.amanero_mute_pins=4

Finally, if all is good above at step 2 but it doesn't work at step 6 and 7, I should probably give you all compiled drivers, not only davinci.

Let me know.

I am looking forward to getting my DSC2.5.2 board thru the group buy, in the mean time I have a few questions:
1. The instruction manual shows set up for Amanero board. However I am currently using DIYINHK XMOS board, in a linux system running at DSD512 and don't really want to buy a new USB board (especially when I have read in this thread that Amanero does not play well in Linux). So what are connections if we use an XMOS board? I assume that we need to input DSD left' DSD right, DSD clock and 3.3V to the DSC2 board, but its not clear which are corresponding input pins.
2. I will be dispensing with the output board and taking the output of the main board to my TVC (chinese eBay device, which I am happy with). This TVC has 2 primary coils, I use them in series and 'centre tap' on primary side is grounded. Now the diagram in the DSCv2 instruction manual for the LL1527XL shows the primary centre tap going to ground via a capacitor. Is this correct?

Thanks, Hazard

So what are connections if we use an XMOS board? I assume that we need to input DSD left' DSD right, DSD clock and 3.3V to the DSC2 board, but its not clear which are corresponding input pins.
DSC pinout for Amanero board in correct orientation is attached. Pin1 is marked on PCB. Beware of huge pops when using XMOS USB board.

I will be dispensing with the output board and taking the output of the main board to my TVC (chinese eBay device, which I am happy with). This TVC has 2 primary coils, I use them in series and 'centre tap' on primary side is grounded. Now the diagram in the DSCv2 instruction manual for the LL1527XL shows the primary centre tap going to ground via a capacitor. Is this correct?
You can omit capaсitor from centre tap to ground.
We use slightly modified circuit, published by Andrea Ciuffoli at audiodesignguide

Attachments

• DSC_Amanero pinout.png
    DSC_Amanero pinout.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 625
DSC pinout for Amanero board in correct orientation is attached. Pin1 is marked on PCB. Beware of huge pops when using XMOS USB board.
Thanks Vit, sorry to be dumb but I just need to be clear on this - the attached diagram doesn't show 3.3V input (pins 9 and 10 on Amanero board based on diagram in the instruction manual). Does this mean that DSC 2.5.2 board doesn't need 3.3V input? DIYINHK board of course has 3.3V input so I will already have a voltage source if also required fpr DSC board.

Thanks, Hazard

Joined 2006
Paid Member
luchoh - it is a fantastic work! I will definitely try it after purchase of Cronus.

You will also need Hermes and clocks for Cronus.

I can attach a picture of my setup if you’re interested. I am also preparing to upload to github a version of the Cronus-DSC PCB, though I assume there would be some changes after I get the “group buy version“.
As it is now, the assembly is quite long and there won’t be too many enclosures that would take it.

You will also need Hermes and clocks for Cronus.

I can attach a picture of my setup if you’re interested. I am also preparing to upload to github a version of the Cronus-DSC PCB, though I assume there would be some changes after I get the “group buy version“.
As it is now, the assembly is quite long and there won’t be too many enclosures that would take it.

Happy to collaborate on a PCB. My isolator PCB would be very easy to modify for BBB, just need to replace the Amanero header with the BBB header and route the tracks to the correct pins. Would remove the need for Hermes (though you might loose some of the Hermes functionality, like the battery back-up - need to look into that more) and be more compact. Alternatively, my board already has the interface between Cronus and V2.5.2 defined.

Which BBB header pins expose the mute and DSD-on flags with your Botic variant?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Happy to collaborate on a PCB. My isolator PCB would be very easy to modify for BBB, just need to replace the Amanero header with the BBB header and route the tracks to the correct pins. Would remove the need for Hermes (though you might loose some of the Hermes functionality, like the battery back-up - need to look into that more) and be more compact. Alternatively, my board already has the interface between Cronus and V2.5.2 defined.

Which BBB header pins expose the mute and DSD-on flags with your Botic variant?

I need to get back to you on DSD-on. As for MUTE - any combination of D3-D7 - configurable via kernel driver parameter (text file)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
OK, thanks. I'm just about to check out the BBB-Hermes again and dust-off some earlier PCB designs that I did when I was looking into a BBB/No DAC arrangement.

Please check this. Unfortunately I won't be able to spend much more time on this today, but if you find anything outstanding (like a file I forgot to commit), please let me know and I'll amend.

GitHub - luchoh/Cronus-DSC2

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Please check this. Unfortunately I won't be able to spend much more time on this today, but if you find anything outstanding (like a file I forgot to commit), please let me know and I'll amend.

GitHub - luchoh/Cronus-DSC2

I also ordered 6 of those at OSHPARK:

Cronus - DSC1/2 [Amanero] Header adapter

When I receive and test them and all works fine, I can send the excess to members here.

This is my first PCB project, so comments are more than welcome.

I also ordered 6 of those at OSHPARK:

Cronus - DSC1/2 [Amanero] Header adapter

When I receive and test them and all works fine, I can send the excess to members here.

This is my first PCB project, so comments are more than welcome.

Me2, if possible :D

While waiting for 2.6.2, i got i7-3770K + Intel DZ77GA-70K + WiFi + 16GB RAM.
Testing NoDac - Xmos:
with jriver pops,
with Daphile pop only at start, after no pops at all (dsd256)
Hqplayer i still couldnt manage to work, maybe works only with amanero.

If someone could give me hand with instalation of Audiolinux image (img.gz) to SSD, i would be thankful.

From my experience to put SSD with separate Low noise regulator ( like TPS7A4700) makes better SQ.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Me2, if possible :D

While waiting for 2.6.2, i got i7-3770K + Intel DZ77GA-70K + WiFi + 16GB RAM.
Testing NoDac - Xmos:
with jriver pops,
with Daphile pop only at start, after no pops at all (dsd256)
Hqplayer i still couldnt manage to work, maybe works only with amanero.

If someone could give me hand with instalation of Audiolinux image (img.gz) to SSD, i would be thankful.

From my experience to put SSD with separate Low noise regulator ( like TPS7A4700) makes better SQ.

Let me clarify something first. The solution I develop only works with the combination below:
1. Software: HQPlayer -> NAA on BeagleBone Black with Botic driver.
2. Hardware: BeagleBone Black -> TwistedPear Hermes -> TwistedPear Cronus -> i2s with cables or my PCB -> DSC2.

So how you install HQPlayer is not relevant as long as you can install BBB/Botic + NAA.
Alternatively, you can replace HQPlayer with Roon and NAA with RoonBridge. It would still work. I tested it.

Last edited:
I've been having a look at the TPA Hermes for BBB and I think that for the purposes of using a BBB to feed DSD to DSC2 we can use a much simpler arrangement that dispences with the Hermes and would be much more compact. I think the battery backup/shutdown can still be retained, which would be good for avoiding bricked BBBs.

I've started a new version of my isolator board that replaces the Amanero header with a BBB header with everything else staying the same. I now need to map the BBB header pins to the Cronus input header, via the isolator.

luchoh do you have a link/reference to which BBB header pins map to DSDL/DSDR/DSDclk/MCK-in/Mute/DSD-on?

Last edited: