Signalyst DSC1

Hi,

Thanks once more for your feedback ...

I recognize your comments so just briefly to clarify: My reference was only to your fig. 1 and Jussi's fig. 5 where the difference may be from 2H at 73 dB (your fig. 1) and Jussi's ~78 dBs. I also noticed there were more noise around the 1 kHz & 2 kHz 1H & 2H in your figure as well as an overall higher noise level.

Anyway, just an FYI comment of mine.

Have a good day :)

Jesper

There are lots of things that could course it. let me try my best.

1 The FFT points, my fig 1 and 2 are tested long time ago with much higher FFT points. Higher FFT points combine with lower avg leads to this 'grassy' look.

2 Isolation from USB/PC, as you can see fig 4 is the one with less 'grass' compare to fig 3. The only thing changed is a I2S isolator sits between DSC1 and amanero. Jussi also pointed out the DSC1 measures better with Ifi USB power in the chain, which is a device to 'clean up' PC noises.

This is my boxed version. I added a DIYINKH power supply to feed the Amanero board. This made a huge improvement.

Attachments

• 20150916-IMG_2263.jpg
    20150916-IMG_2263.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 720
  • 20150916-IMG_2265.jpg
    20150916-IMG_2265.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 700
Last edited:
Hello mcluxun.
Have you made any progress on removing the offset voltage around the AD844 chip?

I am interested in removing the 2.2uf too. I have built another version of the DSC1 to give me more flexibility to make mods.

My new version uses Jung super regulators for all voltages, and has an isolator chip after the Amanero board. My Bootcamped Mac mini uses a highly outboard regulated linear power supply and there is a separate Jung power supply to feed 5 volts to the USB. Overall I am very happy with the result but am looking to pull out the most from the dac, hence my interest in your proposed mod.

Pictures of the DAC are posted below.

N.

Attachments

• 600_2828.crop.jpeg
    600_2828.crop.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 623
  • 600_2846adj.jpeg
    600_2846adj.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 638
Build ideas and suggestions

After doing some research and getting a number of opinions I'm getting ready to build a DSC1 ... the boards have been sitting on my desk for a number of months and need to be put to use!

These are my ideas:

1) JLsounds USBtoI2S, reclocked with Neutron Star 45mhz
2) Power supplies either new DIYINHK "0.9nV" or Salas Shunts
-- plan to keep r-core xformer, diodes and choke filter in a second unregulated chassis
3) Output filter either:
-a) stock op amp,
-b) replace with discrete op amp e.g. NewClassD,
-c) replace with another SK type filter e.g. Pass B-4,
-d) replace op amp with Pass DIY discrete op amp (JFET).
-e) tube op amp or SK filter

I understand that DSC2 is on way and balanced but I'd like to get some experience. What do folks think of above options?

Hello mcluxun.
Have you made any progress on removing the offset voltage around the AD844 chip?

I am interested in removing the 2.2uf too. I have built another version of the DSC1 to give me more flexibility to make mods.

My new version uses Jung super regulators for all voltages, and has an isolator chip after the Amanero board. My Bootcamped Mac mini uses a highly outboard regulated linear power supply and there is a separate Jung power supply to feed 5 volts to the USB. Overall I am very happy with the result but am looking to pull out the most from the dac, hence my interest in your proposed mod.

Pictures of the DAC are posted below.

N.

I was thinking about using some kind consent current sink at the pin 6 of AD844.
My first attempt has failed, I'll report back once I got it right.