Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Signalyst DSC1
Signalyst DSC1
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2018, 06:32 AM   #801
Ipoci is offline Ipoci  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibuoy View Post
... I will order a batch of the revised boards and offer them to V2.5.2 users.
I'll be more than happy to give it a try ...
Old 10th April 2018, 09:45 AM   #802
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
1. no level of "isolation" is perfect as all isolators allow for some noise to couple through, therefore, in some set ups, isolation applied on the USB input side may also be of value.

2. I use the Sonore Signature Rendu SE to provide my USB feed, and this Renderer is designed to have as clean a USB signal as is possible, so I find no benefit to adding additional isolation on that side. If one is using just a normal commercial grade computer board to provide the USB feed, then yes, it may carry a lot of noise along with it.

3. But, the output from USB receiver chips has been shown to be quite jittered (and loaded with high frequency processor noise) regardless of how good the USB source is, it still needs to be isolated on it its output and re-clocked right before conversion, other wise you have 200 pS of jitter or more at the DAC. By keeping the masterclock and re-clocking circuit on the clean side of the isolation, you can then re-clock the signal directly into the conversion stage, this results in the lowest possible jitter where it matters, right at the point of conversion.
Old 10th April 2018, 12:17 PM   #803
mmerrill99 is offline mmerrill99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
1. no level of "isolation" is perfect as all isolators allow for some noise to couple through, therefore, in some set ups, isolation applied on the USB input side may also be of value.
Agreed

Quote:
2. I use the Sonore Signature Rendu SE to provide my USB feed, and this Renderer is designed to have as clean a USB signal as is possible, so I find no benefit to adding additional isolation on that side. If one is using just a normal commercial grade computer board to provide the USB feed, then yes, it may carry a lot of noise along with it.
Yes, & that is what I'm saying - USB electrical standards don't specify as "clean a USB signal as possible" so if not using the Rendu it's wise (if not optimal) to isolate & clean the incoming USB signal at the downstream USB audio device - this seems to be more effective than I2S isolation & reclocking after the USB receiver

Quote:
3. But, the output from USB receiver chips has been shown to be quite jittered (and loaded with high frequency processor noise) regardless of how good the USB source is, it still needs to be isolated on it its output and re-clocked right before conversion, other wise you have 200 pS of jitter or more at the DAC. By keeping the masterclock and re-clocking circuit on the clean side of the isolation, you can then re-clock the signal directly into the conversion stage, this results in the lowest possible jitter where it matters, right at the point of conversion.
If you have any links for this, I would appreciate but USB receivers come in many different forms - XMOS & Amanero being the two most popular in audiophile devices & I haven't seen any specs showing 200pS jitter on their I2S outputs, however I find it beneficial to reclock I2S just before the DAC input - I2S isolation not really needed if already done at USB input

Last edited by mmerrill99; 10th April 2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10th April 2018, 12:42 PM   #804
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I guess it's a case of 'each to their own'. My personal experience is that with a good isolation/reclocking solution immediately in front of the decoder their is nothing to be gained from investment further upstream.
Old 12th April 2018, 12:38 PM   #805
flowerpot is offline flowerpot  Singapore
diyAudio Member

i have not been following the thread... apologies if it was mentioned somewhere...just to confirm for the Amanero with the correct firmware will remove the pop issue during start/stop/sample rate change?

Does the removal of the pop uses the "MUTE" pin 11 to sort of ground the output/relay circuit to mute the output ?

So this MUTE circuit is built into the Signalyst V2 GB ?

If i were to use the Amanero on other DSD design i would need to built a mute circuit using the "MUTE" pin as a trigger ?

Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 01:30 PM   #806
Vit123 is offline Vit123  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Signalyst DSC1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
i...just to confirm for the Amanero with the correct firmware will remove the pop issue during start/stop/sample rate change?
Yes
For Windows - 1099c
For Linux - 2003be_xx

Quote:
So this MUTE circuit is built into the Signalyst V2 GB ?
Yes, dead silent - no clicks, pops

Quote:
If i were to use the Amanero on other DSD design i would need to built a mute circuit using the "MUTE" pin as a trigger ?
Yes
Old 12th April 2018, 02:07 PM   #807
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago
diyAudio Member

Vit123 the mute circuit using the "MUTE" pin as a trigger is the same schematic like attached pic?

TIA
Felipe
Attached Images
File Type: gif RC filtro paso bajo.gif (38.5 KB, 447 views)
Old 12th April 2018, 02:49 PM   #808
Vit123 is offline Vit123  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Signalyst DSC1
Pavel (ppy) published his schematics for early version of DSC v2 at russian DIY forum.
You can have a look at the end of the first page. Sorry, but I can't publish schematics directly without his permission, that's why just link.

He is working now on the project documentation (DSC 2.5.2, 2.6.2) and will publish it soon.

Last edited by Vit123; 12th April 2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12th April 2018, 04:44 PM   #809
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
Vit123 the mute circuit using the "MUTE" pin as a trigger is the same schematic like attached pic?

TIA
Felipe
No.

You should think about signing up to the group buy Felipe, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Last edited by nautibuoy; 12th April 2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12th April 2018, 08:08 PM   #810
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately right now I don't have the money.

Signalyst DSC1Hide this!Advertise here!