Signalyst DSC1

Hi Pavel, do you hear differencies between the old DSC 2.5.2 plus the new Re-clocker and the new DSC with the re-clocker on board ?
I can not compare the sound. v2.5.2 and v2.6.2 not available.

... and does the stand alone isolator-reclocker use the same hardware of the circuit "embedded" in the last DSC2 ?
Of course there are some differences.

Last question: What's about in using the cheaper and newer Beagle Bone Green?
BeagleBone Black was the first and last. All other 4 only bought BeagleBone Green. I like Green more.

My DSC2 build

After some intense soldering (luckily mostly with a modified toaster oven for reflow and solder stenciling), my DSC2 is up and running. I am using LL1684s, Vishay PAT tantalum nitride resistors, and (presumably NXP) 74AHCT595Ds from Taobao.

I am using a BeagleBone Green with ppy's latest botic image without any hiccups. I'm converting to DSD512 and streaming from Roon.

Power supplies are 5v for the BeagleBone and ~7v for the DSC2 provided by xrk971's, CLC / CapMX / Regulator board: GB for Simple Cap-Mx Regulated Low-Noise PSU. I'm using a boring LDO for the BeagleBone and a TPS7A4701 for the DAC.

ppy, thank you so much for providing this awesome and challenging project to the DIY community! I have really enjoyed my time listening to the DSC2 and it will likely replace my long standing Soekris DAM1021 and RPI combo on my main system.

Do you think you'll be making the buildroot sources / configuration for the botic distro you created available? I am going to be adding a SPI OLED display to my build, likely driven with a simple python program to display information from Roon, etc. I would love to use your distribution as the base for those customizations without having to reimplement the botic patches and configurations on my own.

Attachments

• IMG_3729.jpg
    IMG_3729.jpg
    998.5 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_3733.jpg
    IMG_3733.jpg
    1,006 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_3759.jpg
    IMG_3759.jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_3760.jpg
    IMG_3760.jpg
    986 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_3762.jpg
    IMG_3762.jpg
    733.4 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_3817.jpg
    IMG_3817.jpg
    945.9 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_3750.jpg
    IMG_3750.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 282
Do you think you'll be making the buildroot sources / configuration for the botic distro you created available? I am going to be adding a SPI OLED display to my build, likely driven with a simple python program to display information from Roon, etc. I would love to use your distribution as the base for those customizations without having to reimplement the botic patches and configurations on my own.
Yes, I am ready to open buildroot sources for this firmware.
I am very pleased if the project will develop further. :)
I need a day or two to prepare and clean up garbage buildroot sources.
If you could check and fix the web interface in PHP? I would be grateful to you. I am not a programmer, and this was my first experience in creating PHP scripts.

P.S. gtose, good and neat work.

Last edited:
After some intense soldering (luckily mostly with a modified toaster oven for reflow and solder stenciling), my DSC2 is up and running. I am using LL1684s, Vishay PAT tantalum nitride resistors, and (presumably NXP) 74AHCT595Ds from Taobao.

Awesome job gtose, very neatly done !! How come you chose the lundahls for the output stage ?.

I see you are using a toaster as a "reflow machine". Some time ago I bought one toaster too for this very same purpose, but never had the time to finish the project. Yours looks great, how happy are you with the results ?. According with your pics it seems the controler is the Controleo3 (can be bought here just in case Buy Controleo3 ).

Out of curiosity, may I ask where you had the stencils (and pcb) done ?

Again, congratulations for your project.

cheers
.Pepe.

I am using a BeagleBone Green with ppy's latest botic image without any hiccups. I'm converting to DSD512 and streaming from Roon.

Congrats to you for all the hard works and positive reasoning!
Please explain, what do you mean under latest botic image? Botic7 is old and need to be updated!
What software or OS You use for Beaglebone (Debian BUSTER or Arch Linux)?

Last edited:
Thanks all for the kind words!

If you could check and fix the web interface in PHP? I would be grateful to you. I am not a programmer, and this was my first experience in creating PHP scripts.

Absolutely, I would love to contribute when my freetime allows. Once the buildroot files are cleaned up and made available, would you be opposed to moving development collaboration to GitHub.com? I think this will make collaboration on this code much easier. If moved over to GitHub, I could also help you move the website to GitHub Pages (GitHub Pages | Websites for you and your projects, hosted directly from your GitHub repository. Just edit, push, and your changes are live.) and the binary releases there as well. Let me know what you think.

I see you also use a kitchen plastic cutting board for DIY.
Yep, makes for a nice and cheap temporary mounting board. IKEA in the US has them for about $3 a piece :D

How come you chose the lundahls for the output stage ?.
Because I have been dying for a project to try Lundahl transformers out on. They are definitely expensive, but the overall build quality and pure heftiness of them seemed worth it, especially considering how much I was already paying in resistors alone.

According with your pics it seems the controler is the Controleo3
That's correct! It is an older version than the one they have on sale. I love it, I had to replace the relays that came with the kit (cheap chinese ones that burnt out, replaced with legit crydom SSRs) and I ended up buying additional Reflect-A-Gold for the internal lining. Looks like they now ship with a ceramic fiber blanket. I added a fiberglass welding blanket for additional insulation when I built my kit. Overall, it was a fun project and it provides very consistent results. I use it with a tub of Kester NGX1 that I bought a few years ago and have kept sealed in the fridge.

stencils (and pcb) done

Both are from JLCPCB

What software or OS You use for Beaglebone (Debian BUSTER or Arch Linux)?
I think ppy has explained this in other threads. There is no distro / package manger, it is a rootfs (containing userland applications), a kernel, and a bootloader that is created using the Buildroot toolchain. This allows a minimal image to be created specific to the applications and drivers needed for the DSC2.

I am coming a bit late to the party, so after Buffalo III and Soekris, both with DHT tube outputstages, I would like to try your concept next. I like a lot the BBB version...even though it would be nice to feed the BBB with high quality clocks like in chronus/hermes...no ?

A few things I do not understand yet:

1. Why is the recommended approach to convert PCM to DSF realtime with a hefty PC ? Offline conversion which produces DSF files is actually not that storage intensive, even comparing to flac you might need only 2-3 times the storage, depending on your original resolution. In my case, 192k/24bit uses in flac 180K on a certain trac and the same converted to DSF256 is 200k...44k/16bit grows from 25K to 100k on a different track....In theory you can even calculate the files with your room equalization upfront offline as yoir room might not change that much over time, no ?

2. When no real-time conversion necessary: No second Windows machine necessary, right ? So, are there any advantages of the not that cheap Hqplayer anymore ? Why not just use MPD/Alsa ?

3. Given all the experience that PCs, especially high performance, high power consumption Windows machines are by far the worst sounding pieces of hardware: Has anyone experience how to create PcM to DSF conversions best without giving the (realtime or offline) created DSF files/streams not the sound signature of a typical Windows PC ? Or is bitperfect in this case really meaning no degeneration (which I doubt as a Windows PC may feed the same DAC bitperfect and it will be destroyed by a Linux device in nearly any case, even though both play bit perfect in theory)

Last edited:
Why is the recommended approach to convert PCM to DSF realtime with a hefty PC ?

Assuming you're referencing HQPlayer, two words, sound quality.

On room correction, HQP can do that 'on the fly' too so if your room changes you don't have to reconvert your music library.

And is HQP really that expensive given what many of us spend on a couple of capacitors and the like.

BTW, I run HQP but not on a Windows platform, I use AudioLinux;

AudioLinux - The audiophile realtime plug & play operative system

IIRC AudioLinux has a disciunted price for HQP, though you do need to pay for AudioLinux itself. I don't recall the numbers.

Last edited:
Good news. My replacement Twisted Pear Cronus reclocker arrived today and I'm in business! Using one of pavel's most recent BBB firmware releases I was able to 'play' music in HQ Player straight away.

So, I'll flash my BBB with Pavel's latest firmware tomorrow and start working on hooking up my DSC2 2.5.2 upto the Cronus. Hopefully I'll have music very soon!