Signalyst DSC1

I am totally into the DSC cult... this thing is intoxicating.

Count on me for anything beside webdesign... i am very bad at it. :p

in some of your posts I read that you have a PCB for a DSC project for sale.
Do you have a DSC2 PCB or some other older version ? I am definitely interested in buying if you have spare parts. You can put me an offer to PM, thank you.

I'm having problems with getting my DSC2 (version 2.5.2) working, similar to those being experienced by lindamar.

I run HQ Player on a music server. I know that is all working fine because I run another HQ Player BBB/NAA into a Twisted Pear DAC.

DSD data is to be provided to the DSC2 from a Beaglebone Black via a Twisted Pear Hermes/Cronus combo. I have installed Pavel's DSD specific distro on the Beaglebone Black and it is 'seen' by HQ Player but I cannot get it to play without it erroring and stopping. Trying to isolate the problem I have set the botic flag to use the onboard oscillator but still have the problem - see attached items for the errors being reported, the first is for DSD and the second for PCM - both using the same 48KHz sample rate flac file.

Any ideas?

My next step is to remove the BBB completely and run it with a USB power supply just to eliminate interaction with Hermes/Cronus as the cause of the problem.

Attachments

• NAA error #1.JPG
    NAA error #1.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 486
  • NAA error #2.JPG
    NAA error #2.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
With the Arch_Botic_DSC2 distribution package, what Masterclock input is the BBB expecting to see - just want to make sure I've got the clock divider jumper set correctly on my Twisted Pear Cronus - I currently have it set to 2:1 so outputting 22/24MHz Masterclock signals to the BBB (I have 45 and 49MHz oscillators on my Twisted Pear Cronus).

Show how the Twisted Pear Hermes/Cronus combo connects with the BBB.

I don't think that would help much Pavel, the TPA Hermes isolator board just plugs into the BBB header;

LYXnzV5.jpg

However, I've had a successful evening.

I removed the Hermes and ran the BBB on its own with just its onboard oscillator and it worked fine so, as I have no reason to believe the Hermes or Cronus are faulty, I concluded that the issue was with the configuration of the BBB botic software, perhap pin mappings or data type.

Anyway, having studied the configuration and compared it with my working BBB botic DAC the most likely culprit looked to be the setting 'snd_soc_botic.dai_format' so I amended it to 16835 (to remove LRCK and BCLK inversion). It now 'plays' and I have run files through it at up to DSD512 (upsampled on HQP).

I also amended the clock settings as follows as the recommended Hermes setting is to divided the onboard oscillator rates by 2 for input as external masterclock for the BBB;
snd_soc_botic.clk_44k1=22579200
snd_soc_botic.clk_48k=24576000
So, I now move on to hook up the output from the Cronus to the DSC 2.5.2 boards and connect DSD_ON and MUTE.

Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I don't understand last evening's experience...

Anyway, I've reloaded Pavels software and I'm back to running a standalone BBB using its onboard oscillator. Currently 'playing' a 24bit 96KHz FLAC file upsampled to DSD256 and everything appears fine.

That'll do for this evening, resume again tomorrow when I'm fresher and have had time to think more on hooking up the TPA Hermes/Cronos

No progress on the problem I've been having. With the BBB on its own and using the internal oscillator I can play files. If I plug in the TPA Hermes I get the ALSA timeouts and it won't work, even if I configure the BBB to use its internal oscillator.

It looks as though someone else has tried to use Pavel's image and had the same problem;

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twi...tic-cape-beaglebone-black-61.html#post5547670

I'll message to see if they found a resolution.

The numbering of Hermes contacts and my DSC2 firmware do not match. Later I will look at how to reassign contacts programmatically.

Thank you Pavel. I thought I had carefully checked the pinouts from the BBB but have clearly missed something.

miero lists the following pin allocations on his botic page (http://bbb.ieero.com/)

--------------- BBB pin mapping ---------------

P9_25 - A14/0 - mcasp0_ahclkx (oscillator) - GPIO3_21

P9_31 - A13/0 - mcaps0_aclkx (bit clock) - SPI1_SCLK

P9_29 - B13/0 - mcasp0_fsx (lr clock) - SPI1_D0

P9_30 - D12/0 - mcasp0_axr0 (data0) - SPI1_D1

P9_41 - D13/0 - mcasp0_axr1 (data1) - GPIO3_20 shared pin with D14

P9_?? - ?12/2 - mcasp0_axr2 (data2) - configurable, see bellow

P9_27 - C13/2 - mcasp0_axr3 (data3) - GPIO3_19

P9_24 - D15/7 - uart1_txd (external masterclock switch) - GPIO0_15

P9_26 - D16/7 - uart1_rxd (I2S/DSD format switch)- GPIO0_14

P9_14 - U14/7 - gpmc_a2 (cape power switch) -

EHRPWM1A Default mode (kernel param snd_soc_botic.pinconfig=default or not set) P9_42 - B12/2 - mcasp0_axr2 (data2) - GPIO3_18

Compat mode (kernel param snd_soc_botic.pinconfig=compat) P9_28 - C12/2 - mcasp0_axr2 (data2) - SPI1_CS0 shared with HDMI audio output

GND is available on any of these pins P9_{01,02,43,44,45,46}.

So is it as simple as editing a file somewhere in your distribution to have the same settings. If so, are you able to tell me the path to the file. As I see it, the worst that can happen is that I need to reinstall a fresh image and tryagain if I get it wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I finished the universal recloker isolator (PCM/DSD) fully compatible with the Amanero connector.
Can be used as a more compact solution instead of Hermes.
Must be consistent with older versions of DSC2 2.5.2 and 2.6.2. Included with this board will soon publish a new firmware for the BBB. The firmware supports UPNP, NAA, RAAT. Made on the basis of buildroot. It occupies a total of 76M on disk and 17M in RAM.

Attachments

• IMG_20190612_000120.jpg
    IMG_20190612_000120.jpg
    776.4 KB · Views: 382
Last edited: