Signalyst DSC1

I made my board. Thats was my first ever DIY audio project. :) So it was fun. Its sound is amazing! Compared to my NOS Tube outputted Audio Note DAC it has a very natural, analog-like sound with musical flow and without the shines and edges of a PCM DAC. Thank you Jussi!

IMG_1831.JPG

@Signalyst, I hope you don't mind me posting this question here. If so let me know where you want me to take it.

I'm intregued in you HQPlayer software. do you think it would possible to run it on a Beagle Bone black or Raspeberry Pi? There is a lot of intrest in building embedded networked sources using these. As several DSD design are being worked on here at the DIY audio forum, you software could be the missing link to bridge the transition from PCM to DSD.

I have strange behavior of my DAC. I made the ground corrections and everything went fine.

But now after 1-2 minute the signal goes off.
When i remove the DGND from PSU it play music but with high main noise and with low gain. When i connect the DGDN again the music stops.

Any idea where to start looking for problem?

@Signalyst, I hope you don't mind me posting this question here. If so let me know where you want me to take it.

I'm intregued in you HQPlayer software. do you think it would possible to run it on a Beagle Bone black or Raspeberry Pi? There is a lot of intrest in building embedded networked sources using these. As several DSD design are being worked on here at the DIY audio forum, you software could be the missing link to bridge the transition from PCM to DSD.
There's a debian variation of "HQplayer": Network Audio Adapter
NAS is simply a render where all processing is handled by your "player" computer.

I wonder if anyone who has built the DSC1 is experiencing any loud pops while clicking on the stop or go buttons in the Signalyst desktop music player. The pause command works
fine but the other commands send a rather loud pop. I am using the Amanero board. The relay works but there is still noise getting through. The music sounds wonderful, by the way.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I would be grateful for any help.

I wonder if anyone who has built the DSC1 is experiencing any loud pops while clicking on the stop or go buttons in the Signalyst desktop music player. The pause command works
fine but the other commands send a rather loud pop. I am using the Amanero board. The relay works but there is still noise getting through. The music sounds wonderful, by the way.

Maybe setting issue?

What is your jumper setting for the SJ1? Should be mid-top...

Thank you for your quick responses.

The settings for SJ1 are as you suggested, mid to top, IC2D pin 13 is shorted to IC1B pin 3. IC2D pin 11 is tied to SJ1 Bottom and then to the mute relay control. I checked for continuity on all lines and everything is as should be.

I have built 2 boards with exactly the same problem. No hiss, no noise, great sound but only these annoying pops when stopping and starting. Just to check, I have tried using the DACs with Audirvana and Pure Music in DSD mode and experience the same problem.
It is curious that there is no loud pop with the pause command.

Go figure!

Nic.

I have built 2 boards with exactly the same problem. No hiss, no noise, great sound but only these annoying pops when stopping and starting. Just to check, I have tried using the DACs with Audirvana and Pure Music in DSD mode and experience the same problem.
It is curious that there is no loud pop with the pause command.

HQPlayer just plays silence in pause mode, so there's a clear difference between pause and stop modes.

Which DSD output method you are using, DoP or ASIO? I've tested mine mostly with ASIO driver. Generally there's a big difference between the two, because with DoP the USB interface can know about DSD only once the audio stream is already flowing. While with ASIO it can know about it already before any audio data is being streamed.

Also check for any notable DC offset by measuring voltage at R805/R815 when there is no input (mute engaged).

If SJ1 is changed to mid-low instead, then the 595 output enable follows the mute circuit which is combination of DSD and MUTE indications. Mid-high follows DSD indication only.