Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Signalyst DSC1
Signalyst DSC1
Signalyst DSC1 Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2019, 05:51 PM   #1691
randytsuch is offline randytsuch
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: LA
Signalyst DSC1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindamar View Post
That board, as it is being sold, outs I2S. If you want to out DSD in multichannel you need a "special" firmware and flash it to the Xmos. I have tried and works well, but I believe that minidsp offers a ready DSD multichannel : check it out here MCHStreamer - USB Audio Swiss-Army knife - Multichannel PCM/DSD/PDM/ADAT/TDM/SPDIF interface

Haven't tried the mchstreamer though, so cannot comment more on that.

cheers
I was looking to see if there was a firmware upgrade for my card xmos, couldn't find one and diyinhk wasn't any help.
Can you point me to a revision, and hopefully instructions on how to upload it.

Thanks
Randy
__________________
My system is here
randytsuch system
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2019, 06:13 PM   #1692
lindamar is offline lindamar  Spain
diyAudio Member
 
lindamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SPAIN / ESPAŅA (European Union)
I am afraid there is no revision, Randy, I have the firmware source code (Xmos) modded myself to output multichannel DSD. In case you'd be interested, and has the skills/knowledge to do it, you need to solder a header to the diyinhk board in order to transfer the new firmware with the help of a programmer interface. Definitely not difficult, but not a piece of cake either. Let me know if you feel like it.

The alternative is much more attractive. Just buy a MCHStreamer and transfer the firmware via its USB interface. Minidsp has several firmwares for different purposes. With the baggage and experience I have now, that would be my best course of action.

cheers
Pepe
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2019, 03:51 PM   #1693
randytsuch is offline randytsuch
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: LA
Signalyst DSC1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindamar View Post
I am afraid there is no revision, Randy, I have the firmware source code (Xmos) modded myself to output multichannel DSD. In case you'd be interested, and has the skills/knowledge to do it, you need to solder a header to the diyinhk board in order to transfer the new firmware with the help of a programmer interface. Definitely not difficult, but not a piece of cake either. Let me know if you feel like it.

The alternative is much more attractive. Just buy a MCHStreamer and transfer the firmware via its USB interface. Minidsp has several firmwares for different purposes. With the baggage and experience I have now, that would be my best course of action.

cheers
Pepe
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my request. It doesn't have anything to do with the DSC though, so I'll send a PM as to not derail the thread anymore.

Randy
__________________
My system is here
randytsuch system
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 05:16 AM   #1694
potstip is offline potstip  Turkey
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
5k 100mW is enough for resistors?
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 09:41 AM   #1695
koldby is offline koldby  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
koldby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ruds Vedby
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindamar View Post
That board, as it is being sold, outs I2S. If you want to out DSD in multichannel you need a "special" firmware and flash it to the Xmos. I have tried and works well, but I believe that minidsp offers a ready DSD multichannel : check it out here MCHStreamer - USB Audio Swiss-Army knife - Multichannel PCM/DSD/PDM/ADAT/TDM/SPDIF interface

Haven't tried the mchstreamer though, so cannot comment more on that.

cheers
Apparently there could be a problem with this board and the DSC2, as the MiniDSP board cannot accept external clock in DSD mode, and the DSC2 has onboard clock generation and therefore needs an USB interface that can work in slave mode. Any suggestions to how this can be fixed, so one can use this multi channel USB to DSD interface with the DSC2?
__________________
What is Home Theatre without good sound?
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 09:51 AM   #1696
koldby is offline koldby  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
koldby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ruds Vedby
Another problem could be that the board does not support DSD256 in DoP mode but only in DSD direct. Can J-river convert PCM and send it as DSD direct in DSD256? It does not work with the Amanero , only in DoP mode.
__________________
What is Home Theatre without good sound?
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 05:15 PM   #1697
lindamar is offline lindamar  Spain
diyAudio Member
 
lindamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SPAIN / ESPAŅA (European Union)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koldby View Post
Apparently there could be a problem with this board and the DSC2, as the MiniDSP board cannot accept external clock in DSD mode, and the DSC2 has onboard clock generation and therefore needs an USB interface that can work in slave mode. Any suggestions to how this can be fixed, so one can use this multi channel USB to DSD interface with the DSC2?
And you are right there, I have tried the diyinhk board with a different dac that can work in slave mode. The DSC2, as you mentioned, works in masted mode and that means the USB interface needs to work in slave mode. I have not modded the Xmos firmware to accept an external master clock, but could be done though. Amanero has a firmware that does precisely that. The previous version of the DSC (the one that has no reclocking and oscillators on board) I believe would work.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2019, 09:33 PM   #1698
Zoran is offline Zoran  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Belgrade
Quote:
Originally Posted by gionag View Post
... today i have started to take some measurements over the DSC2.

everything seemed perfect.
until i player (trough hqplayer) a 10k square signal.

Not sure if that is supposed to look like that.

the transformer (chinese Black 300+300ohm) is properly loaded to get 6k. Outputs configured for singled ended operation.
I think that You have "ringing". It is not supposed to look like that. The goal is to have as much squared as You can. And this "type", have always sound signature.
.
Try to use RC notc filter at secondary. Use same 10K file signal and if You have 15K and 20K to check...
R value should be as higher as can be C value opposite, lower as can to make output signal right squared. First step is higher Values of R say more than 6K to lower values, C from 33pF-100pF and up to higher values.
* You have some aplication for that in Jensen papaers, about RC notch filter...
.
After that You can Terminate with R and that larger values than 6K and optionally get smaller.
.
Do not "round" edges too much - will cause loss of Sleeve Rate.
Also bear in mind IF the trafo is at very end without buffer, the next Rin of the preamp say, will make lower value load in parallel with load resistor at the secondary... (Also capacitances of cables is factor in that case.)
.
Also check the phase IF You have some sweep software and hardware to generate DSD from I2S or so. (because I think that we dont have any software for DSD out?)
.
(I am using ComTrue board for that)
.
Cheers and happy building
__________________
###
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2019, 02:44 PM   #1699
gionag is offline gionag  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
I think that You have "ringing". It is not supposed to look like that. The goal is to have as much squared as You can. And this "type", have always sound signature.
.
Try to use RC notc filter at secondary. Use same 10K file signal and if You have 15K and 20K to check...
R value should be as higher as can be C value opposite, lower as can to make output signal right squared. First step is higher Values of R say more than 6K to lower values, C from 33pF-100pF and up to higher values.
* You have some aplication for that in Jensen papaers, about RC notch filter...
.
After that You can Terminate with R and that larger values than 6K and optionally get smaller.
.
Do not "round" edges too much - will cause loss of Sleeve Rate.
Also bear in mind IF the trafo is at very end without buffer, the next Rin of the preamp say, will make lower value load in parallel with load resistor at the secondary... (Also capacitances of cables is factor in that case.)
.
Also check the phase IF You have some sweep software and hardware to generate DSD from I2S or so. (because I think that we dont have any software for DSD out?)
.
(I am using ComTrue board for that)
.
Cheers and happy building
thanks for the suggestion.
just tried a R+C on the secondary... until i got to 10k and 100n. effects are rather small/pointless.

i have tried adding 100n to the primary side... and things got "better"... far less rining... but 100n is too much... 47n seems good...
but still with or without capacitors/RC networks... on 15k/20k the output seems more a sinusoid rather a square.

i must think that the problem is else where...

or maybe is just my probing tecnique.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2019, 06:38 PM   #1700
barrows is offline barrows
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Default no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gionag View Post
thanks for the suggestion.
just tried a R+C on the secondary... until i got to 10k and 100n. effects are rather small/pointless.

i have tried adding 100n to the primary side... and things got "better"... far less rining... but 100n is too much... 47n seems good...
but still with or without capacitors/RC networks... on 15k/20k the output seems more a sinusoid rather a square.

i must think that the problem is else where...

or maybe is just my probing tecnique.
There is not a problem, that is the ringing of the digital filter. Take a look at some of the DAC measurements at stereophile.com, you will see similar ringing on the top of the squarewave. This ringing is not entirely filtered out, and is, perhaps, one reason we can hear differences between different digital filters.
What happens if you send a native DSD 256 recording (cannot be upsampled, make sure it has been recorded at DSD 256 and no DSP has been applied, ever)? I would suspect a much cleaner top to the square in this case.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Signalyst DSC1Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2020 diyAudio
Wiki