Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Signalyst DSC1
Signalyst DSC1
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2019, 09:49 PM   #1531
Zoran is offline Zoran  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodesignguide3 View Post
The my aim was not to prove that the distortion of ct7302 + dsc 2 is low as a traditional dac.
I am not in a position to verify this because now I have only a development environment with 10cm long I2S connection, with 10cm DSD connection and my oscillator is connected to an external pcb 10cm away from the CT7302.
In these conditions it is almost a miracle that something comes out.
I have only shown that the CT7302 in its best configuration with external reference oscillator at 24.576MHz and in SRC mode 2 works very well.
I have this comtrue board for years but never tried external MCK. Are there any chance to get the firmware and instructions for this modification?
Thanks

Last edited by Zoran; 25th August 2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 26th August 2019, 08:00 AM   #1532
sercoe is offline sercoe  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Signalyst DSC1
Hi DSC2 - Cronus folk

After a two week head scratching session I finally got the DSC2 - Cronus - Amanero setup working using the mcluxun interface board (Official GB for DSD DAC Signalyst DSCv2). Big thanks to Mcluxun. He provided an elegant way to get this hooked up. There is another board available on Oshpark but I did not try it as it may have been designed considering DSC1 board size where the connector was closer to the edge. The promised Cronus pdf manual is still not available.

Items to look out for if you try this:

1. New Cronus board has a 3-pin header to select between MCK + or -. CONNECT one of those options (usually +). Also select the appropriate speed on the jumpers which coincide with the crystal speed, ie 1:1 for 22MHz/25MHz or 1:2 for 45/49MHz or 1:4 for 98Mhz crystals.

2. Slave firmware works well so now just set the "configuration bits" for MCK/1. Anything else made foobar run 2x or 4x faster. Might sound interesting.

3. On mcluxun board: It is easy to get a solder bridge under the U.Fl connectors. Solder braid fixes that, luckily. The isolator chip is oriented as shown on the photos (not very clear) but can be worked out using a datasheet. CONNECT a 3.3V DC supply on the board (not connected on previous photos but mentioned in mcluxun post). Now your DSC is completely isolated from the PC. That is after all why you bought the Cronus.

Happy listening.
Old 26th August 2019, 08:18 PM   #1533
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Success!

I have music from my DSC2 V2.5.2 - rather belatedly and it didn't help to be completely thrown off track by receiving a Cronus reclocker with the wrong regulator chip.

Anyway, with the replacement Cronus installed everything is working well and music is playing without any issues/problems - correct speed, no obvious noise and no loud bumps/pops. I can't comment on absolute sound quality yet as I'm listening through a cheap pair of computer speakers while I check everything out. All that remains to do is to properly connect the outputs to the chassis phono sockets and to screw the lid on. Here are a couple of pictures;

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

As it was commented on in the previous post, the Cronus connects to the DSC2 with a small bridging board that I designed - it just bridges between the headers of the two boards and has a simple isolator for the DSD-ON and MUTE signals from the Beaglebone.
Old 27th August 2019, 09:37 AM   #1534
diyAudio Member

Attached is a picture of my PCB that connects Cronus to DSC2 by bridging the headers. It has a power connector for the 5V needed for the Cronus, and an isolator for DSD-ON and MUTE.

I use a small plug-in 3.3V regulator sub-board to power the clean side of the isolator but any convenient 3.3V supply could be used.

I have a couple of these boards spare if anyone would find one useful - PM me if you would like one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190827_075432.jpg (873.0 KB, 240 views)

Last edited by nautibuoy; 27th August 2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 27th August 2019, 10:50 AM   #1535
lindamar is offline lindamar  Spain
diyAudio Member

very neat and clean work ! congrats
can I ask where do you get your enclosures done ?, it looks superb to me

pm sent nautiboy
Old 27th August 2019, 12:29 PM   #1536
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindamar View Post
very neat and clean work ! congrats
can I ask where do you get your enclosures done ?, it looks superb to me

pm sent nautiboy
Thanks for the comments.

Chassis was from China via a European ebay seller. Machining was by Schaeffer in Germany.
Old 28th August 2019, 04:43 PM   #1537
gentlevoice is offline gentlevoice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Signalyst DSC1
@nautibuoy: Looks very neat, Ray ... May listening bliss shine upon you ;-)

Cheers,

Jesper
Old 28th August 2019, 04:55 PM   #1538
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlevoice View Post
May listening bliss shine upon you ;-)
Thanks Jesper. I hope to find out how it performs in the main system over the weekend and will report back - I have high expectations based on my use of one of ppy's earlier DC boards.

Ray
Old 29th August 2019, 06:48 AM   #1539
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Looking forward to the report - especially how it compares to the AKM DACs operating in direct DSD mode.
Old 29th August 2019, 09:19 PM   #1540
diyAudio Member

I've been at home today so I left the DSC2 playing music all day into a headphone amp to start the 'burn-in' process. The HPA is nothing very special but an awful lot better than listening to the computer speakers and I did actually listen through my headphones for an hour or two; I like what I'm hearing so far and I'm excited about listening through the main system soon.

Raj, I won't be able to compare the DSC2 with an AK DAC in DSD mode as I don't have one.

Signalyst DSC1Hide this!Advertise here!