Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Signalyst DSC1
Signalyst DSC1
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2015, 07:28 PM   #121
Signalyst is offline Signalyst  Finland
diyAudio Member

Just for the record, my measurements are with iFi iUSB Power. Seems to clean up the output when I compared with/without.

Distortion figures also depend on the modulator used, IIRC I used HQPlayer's "ASDM5" modulator for the measurements because I've been using it for bunch of other measurements too - to keep results comparable.
Old 11th September 2015, 08:13 PM   #122
mcluxun is offline mcluxun  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd like to put a USB regenerate/reclock device in the chain and see how it looks.

Also like Jussi said here lots of factors affect the end test result. My results here should mainly be used for comparing different mods I've added to the DAC.
Old 14th September 2015, 09:36 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlevoice View Post
Hi,

Thanks once more for your feedback ...

I recognize your comments so just briefly to clarify: My reference was only to your fig. 1 and Jussi's fig. 5 where the difference may be from 2H at 73 dB (your fig. 1) and Jussi's ~78 dBs. I also noticed there were more noise around the 1 kHz & 2 kHz 1H & 2H in your figure as well as an overall higher noise level.

Anyway, just an FYI comment of mine.

Have a good day :-)

Jesper
There are lots of things that could course it. let me try my best.

1 The FFT points, my fig 1 and 2 are tested long time ago with much higher FFT points. Higher FFT points combine with lower avg leads to this 'grassy' look.

2 Isolation from USB/PC, as you can see fig 4 is the one with less 'grass' compare to fig 3. The only thing changed is a I2S isolator sits between DSC1 and amanero. Jussi also pointed out the DSC1 measures better with Ifi USB power in the chain, which is a device to 'clean up' PC noises.
Old 17th September 2015, 09:57 AM   #124
zaum is offline zaum
diyAudio Member

This is my boxed version. I added a DIYINKH power supply to feed the Amanero board. This made a huge improvement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150916-IMG_2263.jpg (181.0 KB, 581 views)
File Type: jpg 20150916-IMG_2265.jpg (60.1 KB, 566 views)
Old 17th September 2015, 05:48 PM   #125
zaum is offline zaum
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcluxun View Post
Here's some recent changes I've made to the DAC.
First, resistor network boards using 0.05% SMD resistors:
Can You tell me the source of SMD resistors and network boards? Or boards are DIY? I would like to make it too. Thank you!
Old 18th September 2015, 03:00 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaum View Post
Can You tell me the source of SMD resistors and network boards? Or boards are DIY? I would like to make it too. Thank you!
I designed the board myself, made by oshpark. I have two sets extras but there's a design fault on it.
Here's the revised version eagle file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7ded6rqsh...MD_RN.brd?dl=0

Resistors are bought from Mouser, I bought 100pcs since it's actually cheaper after the price break.
RG2012N-153-W-T1 Susumu | Mouser

Last edited by mcluxun; 18th September 2015 at 03:08 AM.
Old 21st September 2015, 08:27 AM   #127
zaum is offline zaum
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcluxun View Post
I designed the board myself, made by oshpark. I have two sets extras but there's a design fault on it.
Here's the revised version eagle file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7ded6rqsh...MD_RN.brd?dl=0

Resistors are bought from Mouser, I bought 100pcs since it's actually cheaper after the price break.
RG2012N-153-W-T1 Susumu | Mouser
Thanx mcluxun!
Old 23rd September 2015, 08:39 AM   #128
Nic.M is offline Nic.M  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hello mcluxun.
Have you made any progress on removing the offset voltage around the AD844 chip?

I am interested in removing the 2.2uf too. I have built another version of the DSC1 to give me more flexibility to make mods.

My new version uses Jung super regulators for all voltages, and has an isolator chip after the Amanero board. My Bootcamped Mac mini uses a highly outboard regulated linear power supply and there is a separate Jung power supply to feed 5 volts to the USB. Overall I am very happy with the result but am looking to pull out the most from the dac, hence my interest in your proposed mod.

Pictures of the DAC are posted below.

N.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 600_2828.crop.jpeg (28.6 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpeg 600_2846adj.jpeg (142.8 KB, 500 views)
Old 12th October 2015, 01:46 AM   #129
jborden is offline jborden  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Build ideas and suggestions

After doing some research and getting a number of opinions I'm getting ready to build a DSC1 ... the boards have been sitting on my desk for a number of months and need to be put to use!

These are my ideas:

1) JLsounds USBtoI2S, reclocked with Neutron Star 45mhz
2) Power supplies either new DIYINHK "0.9nV" or Salas Shunts
-- plan to keep r-core xformer, diodes and choke filter in a second unregulated chassis
3) Output filter either:
-a) stock op amp,
-b) replace with discrete op amp e.g. NewClassD,
-c) replace with another SK type filter e.g. Pass B-4,
-d) replace op amp with Pass DIY discrete op amp (JFET).
-e) tube op amp or SK filter

I understand that DSC2 is on way and balanced but I'd like to get some experience. What do folks think of above options?
Old 12th October 2015, 07:51 PM   #130
jps1964 is offline jps1964  Germany
diyAudio Member

@jborden

do you have schematics for b) to e)

Regards,
Jean-Paul

Signalyst DSC1Hide this!Advertise here!