Power Supply for PGA2310 project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi again,
What your be your design analysis of using a MeanWell RS-15-5 5volt switching power supply along with a muRata MEJ1D0515SC +15/-15volt DC/DC converter as the power supply section for an Arduino + PGA2310 volume control project?
MeanWell_muRata_powersupply_pair.jpg

My alternative would be a MeanWell (internal) Net-35C or (external) P25B14E-R1B +5/+15/-15 triple output switching power supply.
Is there a downside to using a DC/DC converter and a single output switcher?
Thoughts?

Thanks!
John

Most people on here will advise against using any of those power supplies and the DC/DC converter because they probably generate a lot of noise due to being switching power supplies. But you could try them out and see how it works, perhaps take some measurements if you have the equipment. Also, 15W is a bit overkill for a PGA2310, you could use a lot less.

Alternatively, just use a normal linear regulated power supply: A standard 2x15VAC transformer and positive/negative regulators. You could use a separate PSU for 5V or regulate down from +15V rail. Make sure you use a good 5V power supply for the PGA though, a noisy one will impact the performance of the PGA2310.

Thank you for your response!.
Th piece of kit I'm making is hopefully going to fit in a small case, so the switching PS are perfect. Even the 15W PS is quite small.
Unfortunately I don't have noise measurement equipment, beyond an o-scope, so I'll have to just go by subjective listening eval.

I got the prototype working!
Nice.

I'd love if anyone had a schematic and BoM to share for a nice compact linear +5,+15,-15volt power supply, somewhere between 3 and 10VA.
I've not seen one that does all three rails in one module but here are two that I made:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/powe...e-but-low-noise-lt1761-lt1964-psu-design.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/252133-simple-lt1763-based-5v-psu.html

Alternatively you could check eBay. There are plenty of LM317 or LM317/LM337 based power supplies in different sizes, mainly from Asia. I've had a few of them and they work fine. Or if you want sometime more highend then have a look at the DIYinHK modules here:
4.17uV Ultralow noise DAC power supply regulator 3.3V/5V 1Ax2 - DIYINHK
4.17uV Ultralow noise DAC power supply regulator +-12/15V 1A - DIYINHK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.