Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

If a DAC asks for a 7v - 9V power supply, should I used a 9v 2000 mA power supply, or
If a DAC asks for a 7v - 9V power supply, should I used a 9v 2000 mA power supply, or
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2014, 05:35 PM   #1
ag8908 is offline ag8908  United States
diyAudio Member

Default If a DAC asks for a 7v - 9V power supply, should I used a 9v 2000 mA power supply, or

If a DAC asks for a 7v - 9V power supply, should I used a 9v 2000 mA power supply, or a 9v 600mA power supply? I ask because I have both. I have been using the 2000 mA one, but I want to make sure that's not a problem.

TYIA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PD05-XMOS-PC...item1c3e264a44 and it says "External power can be DC 7V-9V, can provide better purity and abundant current , sound more natural.
What is the optional external DC power supply " and then it links to a power supply that is 9v 1660 amp. If it's linking to and recommending a 1660 amp supply, then I assume the 9v 2000 amp supply is OK?

Last edited by ag8908; 26th March 2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 26th March 2014, 06:14 PM   #2
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

Do you talk about a regulated voltage and the current it can allow at its output or do you talk about the transformer as well ?

Do you know the max current cunsumption of the DAC ? Go with equal or more if you have a all in one PS (transformer + regulated voltage pcb)

I read somewhere (ECDesign thread) than a good transformer has to match the load needed for current in digital design for better results.

If the secondary curent is below the need of the load you will have saturation, noise... something like that (same with all type of design like the analog one). In the worst scenario if you have no fuse at the secondary it can break all. I think we talk about nominal current here because peak to peak its around 4 to 5 x bigger. The VA value of a transformer is what it can absorb max at the primary.

If the secondary is abble to give much more current than the load need, there is no danger, the load pull what it needs. But it seems to be better in digital domain to match the transformer with the need of the digital load.

The transformer is better if not torroid (toO big bandwith allow more harmonics noise of 50/60 than a classic transformer) and shielded.

If you talk about voltage regulation only : you need at the output (after bridges diodes, regulators) to try which value work the best if the DAC can really work with values between 5 to 9 V but of course never overtake the maximun voltage needed by the DAC: 9V). because if it's a DAC kit (I don't talk about the DAC chip itself), there is also analogic outputstages and most of the time it works better with the max voltage it can support !

Wait & check with others answers before, here it's just a two cents answer as beginning, maybe the ref or a link to yours PS will help... the link you gave here doesn't work.

Last edited by Eldam; 26th March 2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 26th March 2014, 06:24 PM   #3
ag8908 is offline ag8908  United States
diyAudio Member

thanks, so it seems like the 2000mA one is the better choice between these two

If a DAC asks for a 7v - 9V power supply, should I used a 9v 2000 mA power supply, orHide this!Advertise here!