Simple DSP X-Over

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I do not know very much about DSPs yet, but i have some basic understanding, and I am willing to learn.

My project goal is to create a digital x-over with IIR filters, maybe also equalizers and delays, and limiters.
I know that designing IIR filters is convenient in Matlab/Simulink. There is even the possibility to create C-code out of a Simulink model. In how far is this runable on DSP-hardware?

If not, I have at least the filter coefficients. Are there any reference implementations of this filter types, where I just have to set the coefficients, and maybe some other configuration, and load them on some cheap DSP hardware?

I also would not bother me, if i had to use different DSP chips for Left/Right or different tasks, like delay and x-over.

Is there such thing?

The most inexpensive DSP's or microconrollers containing some DSP functionality typically use fixed point arithmetics, and there are differences in data formats how the fractional integer values are represented.

You better read this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/195791-open-source-dsp-xos.html first, and decide which platform to use - there are plenty of choices. There is no such thing as "simple DSP" though at this level. If you want simple do the DSP on PC - Linux/ALSA/Jack or Windows/VST/foobar plugin could be relatively simple. On PC though the latency can be problem, at least with USB interfaces. One interesting platform could be multichannel USB interface implemented using XMOS microcontrollers (NI Komplete Audio 6 is one I know, but don't know how programmable it could be) provided it has at lest the JTAG interface or can be programmed / booted via USB, but guess that's too advanced for you at this point. Now that I mentioned XMOS an inexpensive platform would consist of next items:

XMOS startKIT:
Invalid Request

XMOS Audio Slice:
Invalid Request

Using those you can create 2 in 4 out x-over, plus two channels on additional S/PDIF output (for subwoofers etc.).

You can use this app as an example:

https://github.com/xcore/sw_startkit_examples/tree/master/app_audio_dalek

It contains the biquad filter implementation so instead of emulating the sound of Doctor Who's biggest enemies you can get out some less frightening sounds of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.