OPPO`s HA-1 Headphone amplifier - discussions, upgrading, mods...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, a new Oppo product is to come quite soon.
Will the modders have a look on it? Of course, positive answer...

As we are already used, Oppo came out with products which gave to modders nice opportunities. So we will see what about, when some more details it will be available for HA-1.
I found already some pictures (it looks like are taken on the prototype), so we may have a first look inside.
Quite compact and solid device, which use analogue PSU(s), mainly an USB DAC with some few other facilities, with a large graphic display (nice). Is to be seen a more sophisticated clock circuit, which it seems to me to generate a main clock signal, and then distributed further to other devices inside (for sure the DAC chip). Is also to be seen that Oppo will no more use the digital volume available for ES9018, but they chosen a more classical way of using the analogue volume. I think is a nice/clever decision.
In the pictures is also to be seen the digital graphic/controller board, while the DAC and PSUs it seems to be on the lower level PCB. Actually this board it may be more interesting for those who knows already few earlier Oppo products. My first observation is that it will not be very easy to access the DAC board in the Oppo`s design of this device. Maybe not just by chance design...;)
So, let`s wait and see more in the near future...

Attachments

• Oppo-Headphone-Amp-2.jpg
    Oppo-Headphone-Amp-2.jpg
    810.9 KB · Views: 1,498
  • Oppo-Headphone-Amp1-3.jpg
    Oppo-Headphone-Amp1-3.jpg
    898.4 KB · Views: 1,410
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
After a quick view and a subjective comparing of these two devices, it seems to me that Oppo amp it may be at least a class over Yulong ...
However, using of a large graphic display with few screens to choose in between of vu-meters types and another informations to be shown, is a modern, never seen before approach, and quite classy for a such device. To not talk more about the chosen analogue volume design...
While the graphic display solution it may be a gimmick, it still yet to be seen/heard the main functions of this amp combo device... So, we have to wait a little bit more.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, well it were out at least... Very nice! I have not been here for quite long time ago...
It looks awesome ! So, we may take a closer look...;)

After looking at the measurements in a linked review, I may say that shows overall good, specially in the upper spectre, but I may notice a quite noisy spectre in the lower end... Sabre chip can "pass through" 80Khz without problems at 192Khz sampling. I should like to see on measurements an well expended spectre in the highs, than just cutting off after 20khz...
I also agree with abraxalito ...
Looking at the inside picture, it looks quite carefully designed. But however the details are not to be seen in a simple picture out there... To be continued...

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
But what a price!!!

Is more expensive than BDP105D. Their player it have quite much more than what the HA-1 box it have inside... For using a generic quantitative appreciation... And it can much more too their player... I mean it can play some kind of records, DAC with DSD capabilities, 4K display, and so on... While this DAC/amplifier do not can so...
I couldn`t see something related to an eventual firmware update for HA-1 device... It could be nice with some other/more screen options, some software improvements for DAC system, or for upcoming different options (maybe DSD 512...;) ), etc.

Well... Even though its price, I feel more and more decided to buy it... I already see some necessary mods, tweaks...:D

Just got the HA-1. It is missing the finest aspects of sonic purity, separation of instruments in space -- and end-to-end ideal balance. I hear a bit of noise. I love the build quality, the size, and despite it not being "perfect" I think it is a tremendous value. It is organic sounding.... warm almost tuby disposition. I prefer this to the overly clinical/thin sounds one would get with others. It is anything but harsh, after it reached operating temperature. DoP/DSD playback works very well..... Little things...big surprises... Unit passes the FWD/REV remote inputs through the USB to connected device (which I have no IR remote for). So now I can control my Joggler via HA-1 :)

I am wondering what can be done to best this further. Is it capacitively coupled? Does Oppo take Voltage or Current off the ES9018? How is it handled from there? IC-Op amp for I/V before discrete headamp? Curious.

Jim

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, I got it mine too. Ordered for two days ago, and pick it up today... Insane expensive! 2300$ in Norway. This is may first comment...;)

The rest of the impressions, after opening the box, and few hours listening:
Just exceptional build and finish. Very nice piece of high quality finish on all the details. Beautiful!
In the same time the enclosure is a little bit smaller than a another standard enclosure which host my amplifier, and a little bit bigger than another standard enclosure I have... It could be nice to match at least one of these standards...
Measured the temperature on the upper grill, after few hours powered on: 53 dg.C.

It sounds much, much better so, out of the box than any of the previous or existent Oppo products (players). Very pleasant sound, with a deep, solid, and natural bass. Very clear sound, with many details. I could hear some details I never heard before from some pieces I listen as usually.
But... It is happen something with the sound stage. I`m not satisfy with it. Hard to find the words to describe this. I noticed the same problem at the Oppo players. Even though the sound is very detailed and huge clear and fine, I miss the sound stage definition, the volume and the instruments separations. I could not have the same presence of the voices and instruments as I can hear from my modded Oppo devices.
Not saying more that I could get an exceptional sound stage out from a PCM1792 based DAC... which is not similar at all to this HA-! DAC.
One can hear the sounds coming from the R/L speakers, and the rest of the instruments are in the middle of the stage. This is not just right! In the same time it sounds excellent this HA-1... The sounds itself are very detailed, but is something wrong with the sound stage...
I feel already I may know what is going on...

When about the display solution, is very pleasant and it fit the design very nice, and elegant. Else, quite simplistic options to chose in between. Actually only two. I do hope it will be some firmware updates for the display software... But I could not find some informations about how eventual updates it will be made... Maybe through a USB stick... Or maybe just by launching a new model...There is no any "About" accessible to show the firmware version, and so on (some technical informations)...
There are only one level to dim the display... I feel the need to have few some more... to fit my exactly needs. In my opinion, the spectrum analyser screen is disturbing to have it on the screen. I prefer more the analogue VU meters. But I find these a little bit too small on the screen. It should fill the whole screen, or something. The simulated analogue meters it have some times problems to follow smooth the signal. But well, this is not very important...
Some more options for indicators simulations on the screen it will be nice to have to chose in between.

I have used only the pre-amplifier to test my device. I do not have some good headphones to connect to it. The Sennheiser i have are of 16 ohm... At least I`m not very excited in general for the use of headphones. I actually intend to use the device as DAC/prea-amplifier (after the necessary modifications...:D ).
But you know something? The enclosure is not very easy to open it... I have to do some researches. For the time being, I will listen it as it is.

As a first mod I can see so far, after I have seen the inside pictures, is to shield accordingly the toroid transformer.

For sure, class A amplifier leads to the high sound quality out of the HA-1. But the post DAC processing it may have something to do with the sound stage problems...

Last edited:
That's a pretty intense looking amplifier.

I'm very pleased with my Oppo Muse smartphone. I bought it due to the "Muse" moniker, and the music sounds better than that of any smartphone I have ever heard.

I don't think my phone is using DIRAC, however I noted they entered a partnership with Dirac and they are using it in some of their latest smartphones.

Well, I got it mine too. Ordered for two days ago, and pick it up today... Insane expensive! 2300$ in Norway. This is may first comment...;)

The rest of the impressions, after opening the box, and few hours listening:
Just exceptional build and finish. Very nice piece of high quality finish on all the details. Beautiful!
In the same time the enclosure is a little bit smaller than a another standard enclosure which host my amplifier, and a little bit bigger than another standard enclosure I have... It could be nice to match at least one of these standards...
Measured the temperature on the upper grill, after few hours powered on: 53 dg.C.

It sounds much, much better so, out of the box than any of the previous or existent Oppo products (players). Very pleasant sound, with a deep, solid, and natural bass. Very clear sound, with many details. I could hear some details I never heard before from some pieces I listen as usually.
But... It is happen something with the sound stage. I`m not satisfy with it. Hard to find the words to describe this. I noticed the same problem at the Oppo players. Even though the sound is very detailed and huge clear and fine, I miss the sound stage definition, the volume and the instruments separations. I could not have the same presence of the voices and instruments as I can hear from my modded Oppo devices.
Not saying more that I could get an exceptional sound stage out from a PCM1792 based DAC... which is not similar at all to this HA-! DAC.
One can hear the sounds coming from the R/L speakers, and the rest of the instruments are in the middle of the stage. This is not just right! In the same time it sounds excellent this HA-1... The sounds itself are very detailed, but is something wrong with the sound stage...
I feel already I may know what is going on...

When about the display solution, is very pleasant and it fit the design very nice, and elegant. Else, quite simplistic options to chose in between. Actually only two. I do hope it will be some firmware updates for the display software... But I could not find some informations about how eventual updates it will be made... Maybe through a USB stick... Or maybe just by launching a new model...There is no any "About" accessible to show the firmware version, and so on (some technical informations)...
There are only one level to dim the display... I feel the need to have few some more... to fit my exactly needs. In my opinion, the spectrum analyser screen is disturbing to have it on the screen. I prefer more the analogue VU meters. But I find these a little bit too small on the screen. It should fill the whole screen, or something. The simulated analogue meters it have some times problems to follow smooth the signal. But well, this is not very important...
Some more options for indicators simulations on the screen it will be nice to have to chose in between.

I have used only the pre-amplifier to test my device. I do not have some good headphones to connect to it. The Sennheiser i have are of 16 ohm... At least I`m not very excited in general for the use of headphones. I actually intend to use the device as DAC/prea-amplifier (after the necessary modifications...:D ).
But you know something? The enclosure is not very easy to open it... I have to do some researches. For the time being, I will listen it as it is.

As a first mod I can see so far, after I have seen the inside pictures, is to shield accordingly the toroid transformer.

For sure, class A amplifier leads to the high sound quality out of the HA-1. But the post DAC processing it may have something to do with the sound stage problems...

Hi Coris,

That be pricey in Norway!!! What would a Wyred 4 Sound DSDse cost there? That is almost the price in the US and that unit simply blow the doors off the Oppo in terms of musicality, top to bottom coherence, resolution and purity. But you get no headamp for the price :(

I agree with everything you hear..and comments on the display etc.... To me the display is really just eye candy...and frankly having the one crucial setting of OFF, is almost OK..... I agree having more intermediate settings would be good. Also what to do with the display realestate... the VU meters look awesome....but too small :) they can improve those. Also some enhancements would be nice to settings on audio etc... One would be if possible to turn the bias down in the headamp to A/B mode .....more on that in a bit. The other would be to modify off the default digital filter settings inside the Sabre. My assumption is the 50Khz default DSD filter is getting used for IIR, similarly the default for PCM. These could easily be selectable in that fancy display with other optional roll-off points.

Your soundstage comments mirror my feelings. To me the soundstage is a fragile thing to produce...and if all the pieces dont come together...it collapses in your head/mind. The elements are microdynamics (squashed by opamps in the buffer/IV stage in some designs); top-to-bottom frequency coherence. A slight accentuation of one frequency range, although sometimes euphonic --- will kill your soundstage. Maybe this is not as important in headphone listening to some.

My impression on the Oppo topology is that it is basically the Blu-Ray player upto the head-amp. What you are buying with the HA-1 is a Class-A headphone amp. But prior to this, likely the same digital circuit including output stages of the Bluray players. Likely this is all IC based. The XLR/RCA outputs are likely driven off these same opamp buffers, while the Class-A headphone amp has nothing to do with the line-level outputs. I am not 100% sure about this, but if I was going to do any betting here.... all that cooking and searing heat from the unused headphone amp is doing nothing for the sound on the line outputs. Granted the headphone amp gets its inputs from the same source as the single-ended/balanced outputs on the rear of the unit. I think of the HA-1 as two separate products ---- a DAC section from the Bluray units, and a discrete class-A beefy headphone amp. So far my feeling is the weekest link maybe the area you describe....signal integrity after the DAC but before the line-level hand-off. Any confirmation or correction on my comments greatly appreciated.

Good listening!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Definitely some more settings it will (are) necessary, and it will give a real meaning to the nice looking display. So as it is is quite poor in options... But anyway, the rest is the main line.
The quality of the sound stage of an audio device it give actually its HIFI definition. This sound stage is quite difficult to be achieved. Quite many factors it have to be present and corroborate to get this stage out from speakers. In my opinion is here about phases accuracy in the stereo signals processing. Are these very delicate phases disturbed by one or another factor, the sound stage disappear, but the very clear/detailed sounds still remain... The quality of the sound stage is not possible to be seen in measurements, or such measurements it may be in excess expensive for a consumer product. Some times the human hearing it may be much more precise than any kind of measurement device we may have for moment...

This HA-1 it is a improvement over the former circuits used in players. I know quite well what they did in the players, and I can say that this DAC in the HA-1 is superior by far (appreciated by the sound quality outputted).
I will for sure have a look at what they actually did inside HA-1, after a while I will get enough of its "out of box" sound.
As I could see in the device manual, Oppo state that the class A amplifier is used in both pre-amplifier and headphone amplifier stages. This it make sense to me, as this class A it may be actually the only amplifier stage of the device. The another stage is the DAC system with its own I/V and maybe a buffer stage. It may be a double class A stage or only one common for both DAC and headphone. I`m not very sure now about this configuration before open the box. But I think it may be so. I intend to take a look at this class A stage, and examine the possibilities to switch off the unused part of it.
With the experience I already have with Oppo players, I have a feeling that this HA-1 it may be just an exceptional piece of hifi, with the right modifications in place. This is one of my important reasons I chosen to invest in it.

++ on Phase effects on soundstage ....at different frequencies... Also contributing to soundstage are left/right crosstalk at different frequencies. With a single DAC chip in this unit...it is not going to do as well as two completely isolated left/right channels. Powersupply modulations can also incredibly impact soundstage. I agree too...it is what makes these things truely hifi.

I just got from listing again.... I am liking it more and more...maybe it breaking in...maybe me getting used to it... it does many things very well (all through headphones for me so far).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.