ebay:Weiliang Dual X2 AK4399 DAC with LCD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Have anybody try to tweak this one Dual AK4399 DAC with LCD Software Mode 192K Coaxial Optical Assembled Weiliang | eBay
view.JPG

Does this DAC have better sound then single chip board of it neighbor DAC9?

Hi

Just received this Dac . First sounds with basic OP amps 5534 sound great . Airy neutral sound . Maybe PSU main caps too small 2200 uf ,better use 4700uf or bigger ?? For comparison CA Dacmagic left far behind . My AK4396 lampizator type 6n6p output sounds so different hard to compare .. Great Dac.

Papparazzi

This dac sound very very nice, At moment I have opa627 on board, I will test it with ada4627, lme 49990, lme 49710ha, lm6071, opa602bp when I will have a bit of time.
But anyway it sound wonderful and I like it.
Paparazzi what opamp you tested with it?
I have the dual version, not with tiroidal but with r-core.
Ciao

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk

This dac sound very very nice, At moment I have opa627 on board, I will test it with ada4627, lme 49990, lme 49710ha, lm6071, opa602bp when I will have a bit of time.
But anyway it sound wonderful and I like it.
Paparazzi what opamp you tested with it?
I have the dual version, not with tiroidal but with r-core.
Ciao

Ad797 OPA627 797 lme 49710 LT XXXX . I use standard 30va transformer . Just I changed 4x 2200uf caps to 4x8200uf Elnas . Thats big improvment . I like LT1028 when sound is not so tubelike (bipolar?) Opposite to lampizator type sound . Theres not much left for Mods anymore .
Papparazzi

Yes, I also have 4x8200 caps I use it with Udoo + Volumio + xmos ak4399 interface and the combination result is amazing.
Imho, the sound is very good also in the single dac akm version, the dual have a bit more large soundstage, but difference in my opinion is not nigth and day.
Also my single version have the same elnas caps upgrade.
Ciao

Yes, I also have 4x8200 caps I use it with Udoo + Volumio + xmos ak4399 interface and the combination result is amazing.
Imho, the sound is very good also in the single dac akm version, the dual have a bit more large soundstage, but difference in my opinion is not nigth and day.
Also my single version have the same elnas caps upgrade.
Ciao

By the way what is Udoo and Volumio, directly available off ithe shelf if so, please directly me to the websites that sell them. Thanks

Dual AK4399 DAC

This little DAC beats all my previous DACs - TDA1541, dual TDA1541 (double crown), AD1865, 1794, dual 1794 and Benchmark (first generation) with exception of the AD1865 which; in my opinion, a bit better on vocal (perhaps may due to tube output of this AD1865).

When it arrives, it is a bit misty but I can see it has a good potential to modify. In a few weeks time, it ran through the following upgrades: -

Changing the plastic opamp to TO-99 (LME49710HA). I don't have other opamps on hand and this is the only opamp I tried. The TO-99 has more dynamic.

Changing the regulators to Belleson SPM series 15V. The high extended and the low is trimmed.

Changing all regulators to Dexa and Belleson. In fact, the 7805 is a pre-regulation that it could be left as is but I just have a Dexa 7805 spare. At the same time, I also changed the cap of the opamps to Blackgate 47uF 16V, all 0.1uF to Vishay MKP1837 and rectifiers to BVY27-200. More details, more dynamics and musical.

I have a few HiFi friends visited me after the overall modification and eventually I ended up buying 4 more units for them.

My next step - There is a larger case available for this DAC in the market that I will purchase one and try out tube output.

Attachments

• AK4399.jpg
    AK4399.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 2,237
Last edited:
When it arrives, it is a bit misty but I can see it has a good potential to modify.
I just received this DAC also and I agree: I think it has great potential and it already sounds very nice 'out of the box', although the first few hours it sounds awfull.
I want to get rid of the opamps and install my own discrete output stage with passive filter. The switched capacitor outputs of the AK4399 alow for a nice and simple output stage.

Thanks Sunsun22 for sharing your findings. Did you also consider to split analog and digital supply to the AK4113? It could improve PLL performance, but I don't know if it works in this case.

I think this could bring some difference by spliting analog and digital supply for AK4113 but I don't have another Dexa 3.3 on hand. I will try to modify a 5V to 3.3V when I have time. In the meantime, I would like to try discrete opamp replacement from New Class D for this dual AK4399 too. Does anyone tried this discrete opamp replacement or similar ones from Burson?

Separating digital and analog regulator for AK4113

I modified a Dexa 5V to 3.3V tonight and installed it in the dual AK4399 DAC. It is no need to burn in the component because it is used. There are more details can be heard because the background is more quiet. The overall modification brings this DAC to more musical and is worthwhile to do so. I can't stop listening this evening and only find out it is already 2:30 in the morning.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 2,071
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.