My DAC for the Raspberry Pi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Daniel,
Excellent work. I did know about Hifiberry DAC, but just found this thread. Another reason why I appreciate your work is that I use the Hifiberry I2S driver option in volumio to feed my DAC. At the moment I use a purchased ESS9023, but I just modify my AD1865 board to receive signal from Ian's I2S to PCM board.

I have 2 questions?
1, what other sw you recommend, other than volumio? I have a large collection and it is a pain to use the web interface.
2, do you plan to allow external clock to be fed to the DAC chip and make the PI slave for that ? In order to lower jitter.

Thanks,
JG

Hi Giordano,

for large collections I personally like iTunes and airplay or Logitech Media Server and piCorePlayer.
We are thinking about external clocks. However don't expect that this will work with any external DAC.

Best regards
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I appreciate your help. This picoreplayer+LMS works O.K., the first after media monkey what is not PC and not iTunes.

Thanks,
JG

I just remembered this thread. There was a question about external clocks. The new HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro now uses 2 external low-jitter oscillators. If you want to connect an external DAC, this can be done with the I2S output on the board. This allows to connect DACs that require a master clock that is synchronous to the other clocks:
DAC+ Pro - connect external I2S DACs – HiFiBerry

Last edited:
I bought a generic pcm5122 rpi card a few weeks ago. really liking it. I am surprised, as I didn't think it would work at 24/192 but sure enough, it really does.

rpi2, the usual wifi dongle (the stubby kind that everyone uses; forget its number but its the most common one that is not the pi-official one). data is stored on a low-performance NAS. as long as I'm not doing an mpd update (I'm using rune audio's mpd distro) it works great.

for most listening, this is not a bad system. I would not consider it competition quality, but for everyday listening, its more than good enough.

nice job guys, all who have been involved, and I know it was a large group of people who got i2s working on the pi, all told.

I bought a generic pcm5122 rpi card a few weeks ago. really liking it. I am surprised, as I didn't think it would work at 24/192 but sure enough, it really does.

rpi2, the usual wifi dongle (the stubby kind that everyone uses; forget its number but its the most common one that is not the pi-official one). data is stored on a low-performance NAS. as long as I'm not doing an mpd update (I'm using rune audio's mpd distro) it works great.

for most listening, this is not a bad system. I would not consider it competition quality, but for everyday listening, its more than good enough.

nice job guys, all who have been involved, and I know it was a large group of people who got i2s working on the pi, all told.

Ah, welcome on board to the fun!

A Pi based audio source... some new amps... are speakers next???

here's the audio board on top of my pi.

which, is on top of a dual slot 2.5" SATA hot swap cage. that has a usb adapter, each, going to 2 of the 4 pi's usb ports. 3rd usb port is using wifi dongle.

really ugly build. chassis is being designed now ;)

will add an i2s->spdif chip later on, as an add-on. for now, the analog-out from the pcm is ok. I am setting the digital gain to 95% so that I avoid any gibbs clipping, that this chip series kind of is known for.

Attachments

• rpi-pcm5122-dac.jpg
    rpi-pcm5122-dac.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 809
What enclosures did you use, or are they custom designed? redjr

Look at his Avatar. Then zoom in on the photo of his box and you'll see the same logo. Above the logo is the name 'sercona' audio. He is developing a website for this brand here: http://www.netstuff.org/sercona/

I don't know if this is a commercial exploit, but I do like the look of that pre-amp and may like to know how to build one myself !

Attachments

• sercona_front1.jpg
    sercona_front1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 465
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.