EEPROM equivalent for DCX2496

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!
I have a problem with my DCX2496.
The unit worked fine until I decided to turn it off and unplug it last summer during a rather fantastic electrical storm!
Acouple of days later I reconnected the system and all I get from the unit is the LCD backlight comes on, and input A and line out 1 VU that sweeps at about twice a second.
I did check all voltages (they are fine of course) with a digital scope and DVM and all seems correct and the DC trace shows nothing special. When checking a DC supply line, it is always a good idea to measure it but also look at it with a scope!;)
So I guess I have to reflash the eeprom in my DCX 2496 (v1.17)
It might be something else also, but reflashing is the next easy thing to do for me.

Now, the eeprom Behringer used (AMIC A29040B-70F) is no longer manufactured. I found the data sheet but I was wondering if anyone here found a substitute?
Thanks, Luc :)

A reply to my own thread! :p

OK, here is a mystery for all, the DCX is back in operation!
What did I do to it you may ask, well..... NOTHING! :confused:

As I was searching the web for a solution to my inquiry, the DCX stayed on for maybe 40 minutes +.
It is sitting right beside me and all of a sudden, some relays clicked in, and the DCX display went on, the VUs stopped wiggling and everything seems normal!

I connected the serial port to it and found that the firmware version is 1,16 while the sticker on the EEPROM says 1.17.
I remember when I modified it ( all the Thierry Martin mods sold by Selectronic in France) I had a problem at start up after the mods and Thierry explained how to reflash the rom which was 1.16 at this time.
Anyway, I reflashed 1.17 that is now available on the behringer site and now it seems to work and it comes on all the time at power up. (I tried a few time)

Still, the question remains valid. What is a suitable replacement for the AMIC rom used by Behringer?

And can someone has an idea of what was the cause for this temporary 'bricking' of my unit?:scratch1:

Thank you Sghr220 I will check these.
BUT...
The plot thickens! :(
I turned it off and on many times and it started every time, then I swtched it of again, checked a few things and installed the cover back on, all about in 30-40 minutes.
Switched it on and by now you guessed that it did not work! Rats! :mad:

But now that I know a new trick about this box, I left it on and went to sleep,
This morning it was back working normally!
So I guess this one has a verrrrrrry slow reset sequence! :eek:

Now I am miffed' :smash: The supply voltages are the same once the machine is started. I suspected the 3,3V line ( it is at 3,2 measured with a fluke 87)
Anyone has seen this behaviour before?
Luc

Thank you Sghr220 I will check these.
BUT...
The plot thickens! :(
I turned it off and on many times and it started every time, then I swtched it of again, checked a few things and installed the cover back on, all about in 30-40 minutes.
Switched it on and by now you guessed that it did not work! Rats! :mad:

But now that I know a new trick about this box, I left it on and went to sleep,
This morning it was back working normally!
So I guess this one has a verrrrrrry slow reset sequence! :eek:

Now I am miffed' :smash: The supply voltages are the same once the machine is started. I suspected the 3,3V line ( it is at 3,2 measured with a fluke 87)
Anyone has seen this behaviour before?
Luc

You're welcome blue_luke :), could a faulty relay be the cause of this delay in start up?

You're welcome blue_luke :), could a faulty relay be the cause of this delay in start up?

Hmmmm.... good pointer!
This morning I turned it off before leaving to work.
When I came back I turned it back on... did'nt work.... let it cook.
Now about an hour later, (we had tortelini in brodo con formagi parmesan ! :D ) it is back in business!
The parmesan has really nothing to do with it! :p

For the moment I will simply leave it on all the times, but I am still completely miffed' by this, and I will order 2-3 eeproms that you recommended and burn them to see. It might also be the case!
These are 70ns access time, the chip you recommend are 50ns access time. I know by experience that this may very well be a path to investigate, and knowing Behringer, I would not be the least surprised that this parameter is on the 'slide' side of the design!

Nevertheless, this is interesting!
Luc

EPROM for DCX2496

There is a gentleman in Chicago who sells a burned chip that will drop right in and reactivate a bricked DCX2496. He is very fast to ship and his chip plugs right in with no issues and the unit will boot right up. Fixed my unit that was bricked a few years ago and I just gave up after trying to get help from Behringer. Now my project is being worked on again and I needed to get the unit running so I can start testing. I find it interesting that now there is a disclaimer on the Behringer Web Site that states not to attempt upgrade of older units and tells what units will upgrade and that other units will brick if attempted. Contact him at john65b2000@yahoo.com.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.