New Async XMOS 384K/32bit with PCM5102 DAC on ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just ordered one, we'll see how good it performs (already owning an Amanero)
I like the fact that this seller is providing good W7 driver with ASIO feature and not the Evaluation version of Thesycon USB Driver with Periodic beep tones after 30 minutes which other sellers here on this board reccomend using with their simillar product :confused:
the driver can be downloaded at the following link :

XMOS??FOR Windows?????.zip_??????|??? ??-?????

it also has three onboard XO's, the PCM5102 DAC which will deliver 2,1V RMS, LED indicators for samplerate up to 384khz and also posibility of using clean external power, all these for only 70$ (free shipping).
First thing I would do (in case that it is not done already) is changing the FIR filter of the DAC to IIR (a very quick operation on the PCB), and have it powered from 3,6V in case it is powered from a 3,3V LDO and eventually get the MCLK to the DAC directly from the XO's and not generated by the XMOS chip which will add jitter - they are pretty close to the DAC so there would be no big problem
"A key feature of the PCM5102 chip are its two digital filter options - the more common FIR (finite impulse response) or brickwall filter; and the IIR (infinite impulse filter)" ...
if anyone has this board already, and might wanna share some useful information, is more than welcomed

Xmos 384K 32bit PCM5102 DAC USB TO Fiber Coax RCA Jack USB Power LCM | eBay

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Hi All. Mine arrived yesterday. I have not had much time to test it yet however at least it works! I feed some 192khz into it from my Raspyfi and the led's showed it accepted the signal fine. Initial impression was the top end is a bit grainy but this with a crappy plug pack power supply feeding the Raspyfi and using the USB to power the DAC so hardly a fair test. I will use a separate 9v supply over the weekend and give it a good test.

With good power supplies the results should be much better.

I don't have any comments on the audio quality yet as I have been trying to sort out how to use an external supply. The description on the Ebay listing say 6-9v external however this is not true for the current boards shipping V1.3 2013/9/5.

The main input regulator for external supply was U13 which drops the 6-9v to 5v however this regulator is not installed on the current version so if you try using the 6-9v input it will not work.

To run v1.3 board with an external supply you need a 5v regulated supply. You need to cut the link between "S1" and "U" which currently feeds the USB 5v to the DAC. Then feed the regulated 5v on to the "E" pad and join this to the middle pad of "S1".

There are 5 separate regulator sections fed from the 5v which then supply power to the DAC, XMOS etc chips.

So in the next day or so I will build a good quality 5v supply and so how it sounds from there.

Thanks to the Ebay seller, zoe_tsang, who supplied the board and who has answered my email questions and confirmed with the factory that the external supply is now just 5v. If you try feeding it 6-9v you will probably end up with a non functional DAC.

The DAC is selling XMOS PCM5102 32Bit 384K Finished DAC Board W/ Headphone AMP here for $62 with a case. andynz, if you give thump up, I will buy it!

looks like a good price although I don't know what the seller is like for support. Beware the 7-9v external supply. If it is vs1.3 board that is not the case, it is 5v.

A thumbs up you say, I have hardly listened to it yet :) Just want to get a good power supply on it but the chipset looks good.

I should have a sound quality comment in a couple of days.

Good news guys. I pulled together an old linear high quality 5v power supply to power the DAC and kept the Raspyfi on the wall wart 5v supply.

First impressions of the DAC are excellent. I have tried both 44.1 & 192 and they both sound great. Wide sound stage with pin sharp imaging. cymbals and other high frequencies sound natural, not over blown but with plenty of detail. No clicks or pops when changing sample rates. The PCM5102A is designed to mute during any errors or sample rate changes.

I sat through 4 tracks without flicking to the next which is always a good sign.

So next project is the improve the power supply and put the DAC in a nice case. I will probably use a bigger case than necessary so I can put a hefty linear power supply in.

With a good power supply this DAC is pretty darn good. Up there with the best.

My monitor system is ATC SCM40 passives 3 way with CDA2 pre & P1 dual mono amp. MPD player is Raspyfi 1.0

mine got lost and never received it so i finally got a refund
I'm happy because it was the first version without headphone output unlike this new version

so can you confirm that indeed the Windows driver doesn't have the periodical beeps as an evaluation driver from Thesycon?

also, have you tested it on it's headphone output? how does it behave with small loads like 32 ohm headphones? doest it have some sort of clipping?

this one looks very tempting. with external power are we sure the dac will be fed from that source or will it still be usb powered? chinese designs sometimes have baffling flaws like that from my experience.

and i thought 5102 didn't need coupling caps? the pair of wimas next to the chip doesn't look welcomed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.