DAC + Tube Amp kit help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there.

I am building some basic Full Range desktop speakers to use for Video Editing.

Along with the speakers I need an amp and the thought of a DAC interested me, however I don't really have any ideas on DAC's except that it will bypass the sub-par Laptop amps as audio output - as I understand it.

Please note I'm no audiophile, nor do I have NEARLY the right setup for proper audio - I do however seem to be unable to buy brand name PC speakers, nor the options for sub $150 brand monitors (I can get them at cost through a friend, like Samson MediaOne E3) - my monitors have a much lower frequency response (got help from a local speaker designer with cheap Visaton drivers)

I will be ordering this amp kit (or I intend to)
Tube 6N3 Preamp TDA7294 Power Amplifier Kit DIY 80W 80W | eBay

And I saw this DAC
TE7022 CS4398 OPA2132 24bit 96K USB DAC Board with Headphone Amp Output | eBay

I sent the seller a question about inputting the DAC output into the Amp kit.

Thoughts? Recommendations? "Walk away dude, just get the amp and don't bother" thoughts?

I would've been fine with the amp only, but seeing the little DAC, thought that it will be an improvement over just the amp, but not the best solution in terms of DAC :confused: I suppose the thing is, is it a stupid idea to use the output of the little DAC as input to the amp kit? I realize this is not such a pretty solution, as oppose to some other options that I haven't been able to find.

My main aim is good audio for video editing from a laptop in a very small area and non-ideal audio setup - but better than buying the shelve brand PC speaker setups. That and the satisfaction of attaining rather good audio via the DIY route. That "I made that" feeling.

I don't want to spend a ton merely because of my current work area setup. Oh, the speakers are 30W 8ohm if that makes a difference in anything.

The reason for the tube amp is really only for looks and to see about the "warmth" I've "heard so much" about - I do like seeing my electronics.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.