XMOS DSD 384 kHz / 32bit USB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Joro:
Very nice! Thanks to your son for making a web site for better pictures, specifications/manual, and ordering. I happen to like the 5102 when fed 352.4/384kHz from Audirvana Plus and iZotope upsampler with custom filter settings.
Your combo package plugged together is very attractive, I may need to order it!

Please let this thread know if you move discussion over to commercial/group buy forum so I can follow there.
Thanks and regards.

Hi,

I'm glad that the parcel has arrived.

What about windows driver?

Frank

This project was started as a DIY project, for acquire the rights over Win driver, XMOS require single buy for at least $1000. It's not far away time when I'll solve this problem. For now one can use Thesycon Windows Evaluation Driver, which can be downloaded from XMOS site. Linux and Mac users don’t have this problem :) .

I was playing with the software and I succeeded to bring format for PCM1704 and PCM56. I am wondering, is there any sense to take time (won't be short) to implement it on the main firmware.

Regards,
Joro

Hey Joro,
Besides being able to play DSD, what is your design different to Lorien's XMOS implementation?

Probably the most obvious difference is the onboard reclock following the galvanic isolation.

In the default implementation it sounded better than my EXA boards, which explains why i recently sold both of them.

If an external high quality clock source is used, the sound is comparable to what you get from an EXA followed by Ian's fifo board. As it probably should, as properly implemented isolation/reclocking sounds as good as anything.

Standard disclaimer: my system, my ears. Have met the designer to collect the board but have no vested interest whatsoever.

I was playing with the software and I succeeded to bring format for PCM1704 and PCM56. I am wondering, is there any sense to take time (won't be short) to implement it on the main firmware.

Yes, please!!!

Many of us have been waiting to try our favourite r-2r dac chips with hires sources. If this feature works well it should probably warrant opening a dedicated thread.

Hi:
Are you saying that you have found a way to directly format the I2S coming off the XMOS to that required by R2R DACs like 1704 without any additional hardware in beween for bit alignment? I'm not an engineer, but I thought that was impossible. Please explain more!
Thanks.

Hi:
Are you saying that you have found a way to directly format the I2S coming off the XMOS to that required by R2R DACs like 1704 without any additional hardware in beween for bit alignment? I'm not an engineer, but I thought that was impossible. Please explain more!
Thanks.

Nevermind. My engineer friend explained this to me. Seems that it is just a couple of lines of code for the XMOS to output the bits in correct alignment for 1704, etc.
Of course the signal should be reclocked first before sending it into the DAC--otherwise much too much noise and jitter...:rolleyes:

Hey Joro,
I am planning for a project which needs USBtoI2S to feed both TPA's Buffalo II and miniDSP at the same time (actually looking for a dual channel I2S solution). May I know if there is a way of doing it with your board without introducing additional jitters to the signal path? Thanks!

Hey Joro,
I am planning for a project which needs USBtoI2S to feed both TPA's Buffalo II and miniDSP at the same time (actually looking for a dual channel I2S solution). May I know if there is a way of doing it with your board without introducing additional jitters to the signal path? Thanks!

Hi,

I'm not sure that I catch your question (due to google translate :)).

As for Buffalo II (III) direct connection to this XMOS design is without any problem. As for miniDSP, could you give me some information or a link, so I can think about it.

In every case connecting additional processing unit like miniDSP or Digital Filter (for example DF1706), would require second reclock on the input of the DAC, because every Digital filter (DSP) would increase the jitter. There are only a few manufacturers of good Digital filters, who admit that the reclock is required after Digital filter (for example PMD-100, it's written on the data sheet), many of the manufacturers "forgot" to write it.

When directly connecting DAC (Buffalo, PCM179x, AKxxxx) to this XMOS board, additional reclock is not needed, because the reclock has already been done.

Regards,
Joro

Joro ... thanks again for sharing your thoughts on my project. Here is the link to the miniDSP that I am planning to use ... miniDSP Balanced Kit | MiniDSP
Please let me know the best approach to use your kit to drive both TPA's Buffalo II and the miniDSP via I2S concurrently. Do you think by introducing a pair of line drivers like the Texas Instruments ISO1540 to the I2S bus will get the job done or there are something far more complicated than that to have the least amount of jitters introduced in the process? Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.