quick question about Behringer DCX2496

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't know what is the difference :( if there is two RCAs at one end, it should be stereo. aint it?

Do you understand that in stereo you have two separate signals for the left and right side speaker?

Do you understand that the purpose of the DCX2496 is to split up each of those signals in three different ones, for the low, mid and high frequencies? So that this makes for a total of 6 channels (3 left, 3 right)?

Forget for the moment the type of connector, make sure you got a clear picture of what you want to do. Do you have multiple amps to drive the individual drivers in each speaker?

jan

Do you understand that in stereo you have two separate signals for the left and right side speaker?

Uh come on I'm not that much stupid :D I knew this

Do you understand that the purpose of the DCX2496 is to split up each of those signals in three different ones, for the low, mid and high frequencies? So that this makes for a total of 6 channels (3 left, 3 right)?

yes I know DCX2496 is a Crossover device. will split signal to diffrent portions to go to the right driver. I have designed XOvers countless times. with different slops.

Forget for the moment the type of connector, make sure you got a clear picture of what you want to do. Do you have multiple amps to drive the individual drivers in each speaker?

all these because it's my first time with this dammit connector (XLR). Ok. 3 input and 6 output. I know I have to use 3 amps per channel (if mono). but I'm gonna use this crossover for a 2-way to cross HF to go to a 2A3 SE amp then to horn. and LF to woofer cabs. my problem is that I do not know XLR > RCA should be balanced to unbalanced. balance have two RCA right? unbalanced 1? am I right?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
RCA is unbalanced. You could use 2 RCA to run a balanced signal, but it's almost never done.

With the DCX you just connect XLR pin 2 to the RCA center pin, then connect XLR pins 1&3 to the RCA body. That changes it from balanced to unbalanced. However, as stated above, you probably want to reduce the level, it's pretty hot coming out of the DCX.

RCA is unbalanced. You could use 2 RCA to run a balanced signal, but it's almost never done.

With the DCX you just connect XLR pin 2 to the RCA center pin, then connect XLR pins 1&3 to the RCA body. That changes it from balanced to unbalanced. However, as stated above, you probably want to reduce the level, it's pretty hot coming out of the DCX.

Uh thanks. very useful entry. should I do some kind of attuanation on the output? if so, how many db?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If your amps have volume control then you're good. That's where you should do the level control for the individual sections. You set the amp volume control for each section (low, mid, high) so that the DCX is running close to full range and the speaker sections are balanced for sound levels.

I think confusion is from fact that there is very unusual way to use XLR as stereo connector in unbalanced mode. If you google on XLR to RCA one of first picture you get is this one. People who is not familiar with XLR can be confused.

So for oldie. When is XLR connected as standard mono balanced signal /as on DCX/

There is 1 which is ground 2 and 3 which is same signal just with reversed polarity. This is why it is called balanced. All hums you get on way is added with opposed polarity and subtracted to zero at the end. /very simple explanation/

So connect 1 to ground take 2 to signal to RCA. If you want to attenuate signal. Exact values depend on input impedance of you AMP. But i think is save to connect 1k in series with signal and then try 500, 200, 100, 50 ohm paralel to ground. Do it in RCA connector /on amp side/

Account Closed
Joined 2001
It's certainly not quasi-floating. Pin 3 is an actively driven source just like pin 2.
You can ground pin 3 if you like and it will gain-modify the pin 2 output 6db higher. Or you can leave pin 3 unconnected and pin 2 will output 6db less signal.
Unfortunately, when you don't ground pin 3, the six outputs will lose matching and you might have to fine-tune them.

Dave.

While searching for the mic / delay setup for the DCX I found this thread. The manual states that if you short the -(neg) leg of the XLR the DCX adjusts output accordingly for a single ended connection.

I have made the XLR (DCX side) to unbalanced(RCA's at amps) and it did indeed reduce the output signal level.

This is for reference for future searchers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.