Build thread for Diyinhk ES9018 DAC on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, cool party-wear too ;-)

Here's the happy couple, ready to say their vows :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I drilled one extra hole in the ES9018 board near the op amp power input. It's the only corner with a free space for a hole, that still gives reasonable access to connection points. Total height of the two together is 45mm.

Honeymoon shot - ewweeyy.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Hi Tom,
What are those 2 rows of dip connectors in the middle used for?
Interest are building up, I will try to build this dac after CNY.

Cheers

They are op amp sockets for the I/V. I cut the bridges so I could keep access to my ground strap, should I need to modify it. I put an op amp into the dip sockets while soldering to make sure they are correctly aligned.

I have fitted the buffer LME49990 op amps w/o sockets as I'm certain they are keepers. But I can still de-solder them from the adapter pcb if something better does come along.

Last edited:
Magnification

When I turned 50+ I started buying reading glasses in 3 packs [eyes fine otherwise] -- when I'm down in the basement playing with SMD stuff I wear 2 pair, it helps if they are clean :cool: I'm NOT suggesting it's the best solution. That's ~2+ 2+ for me. I also have a large illuminated magnifier I found someone had discarded, it is not installed yet, probably nowhere near enough on it's own. Do my glasses help me find a tiny $pec of SOT-23 Micrel regulator I drop? NOPE!

try to magnify something in photoshop to 500% and answer that for yourself, if you need more than 5x magnification, you should think about finding another hobby. also higher than that if you move your head more than a little bit, it becomes jerky.

why arent you using the TPS47xx? the transient response of the 1963A isnt so hot, it relies very heavily (as many LDOs) on the capacitors. I quite like the 1963A i've used it regularly for the same reasons you describe, but the TPS represents a changing of the guard for me, especially since it has a negative counterpart.

Delta-sigma DAC VS Test:D
reference condition:
Same I2S input,
Same headphone AMP, same headphone, same ear:D
Same power regulator
Same computer USB input
ES9018 VS PCM1794A VS AK4399
follow each offical datasheet demo IV LPF circuit
blind test,
only ear will told the best:)

p.s. the latest version ES9018 PCB with the latest es9018 chip seems have no unlock problem at default power on setting with asyn 100M clock with cm6631a, need to confirm with longer test time.

Very interesting DACs, though DSD1794a instead of PCM would have been even more interesting IMO.
Could you please post a better pic of the AK4399? It is very difficult to read the connectors' labels in that one. The one on your ebay store is fine for the other side.
Could the +/-12V be upped to +/-15?

Great job, as always GLT !

What do you guys think of the ADP7104 ?

BTW, diyinhk is selling two more DIY DAC boards, and I've always wanted to try the AKM AK4399.

Thanks...

The ADP1704 looks very good too, especially in the noise department for higher voltages. The pin arrangement is also the same as the LT1963, so you could do the flipping trick.

Perhaps diyinhk can figure out a way to support several footprints for different regulators...

I forgot to mention the PCM1795, easier to implement DSD as it shares pins with PCM and supports 32bits, probably up to 384KHz even if not mentioned in the data sheet.

Yeah, it is possible it can support the higher sample rates. I've tested the PCM1798 in the Musiland to 352K and it is not specified to support those frequencies...

Hi,

Is there a pin-for-pin upgrade for the pcm1794a ? It seems it's as good as it gets for Ti ?

Here's a photo of the start of casing my ES9018. The large case for the DAC is 150mm x 146mm x 70mm, and the small case for the transformer is 115mm x 77mm x 48mm. I got them from my local shop - WECL. I plan to make a 5-core shielded cable to connect them.

L150*Aluminium Casing (146x150x70mm) - WECL Online

Last edited:
Hi,

Is there a pin-for-pin upgrade for the pcm1794a ? It seems it's as good as it gets for Ti ?

Nope, the 1794 is TI's top of the range performance wise. It can be set up for mono opreration using 2 chips though. DSD1794 has same specs but adds DSD but using different input pins than PCM so implementation requires extra circuitry.
Over the above the PCM1795 adds DSD on same pins as PCM plus 32bit (Vs 24) but it is less performing:

PCM1794 ($13) / PCM1795 ($8):

Dynamic Range: in stereo mode up to 129 / 123 dB or in mono mode 132 / 126 dB
THD+N: 0.0004 / 0.0005%
Stop Band Attenuation: -130dB / -98 dB
Passband Ripple: ±0.00001 / ±0.0002 dB

The only thing I don't like about the AK4399 is the max clock speeds specified in its data sheet (33.8688/36.8640 ->192fs). Maybe it can also work reliably with 45.xxx/49.xxx just like the ES9023 or the PCM1795/6 do 352.8/384K and neither is spec'ed for it. It'll be very interesting if Diyinhk could confirm this.

The only thing I don't like about the AK4399 is the max clock speeds specified in its data sheet (33.8688/36.8640 ->192fs). Maybe it can also work reliably with 45.xxx/49.xxx just like the ES9023 or the PCM1795/6 do 352.8/384K and neither is spec'ed for it. It'll be very interesting if Diyinhk could confirm this.

its already confirmed to work at 384khz

the AKM

Status
Not open for further replies.