Build thread for Diyinhk ES9018 DAC on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
downloaded and activated the asio stuff for audiogate. works like a dream for 48/24 if ones try 96/24 i plays like a jojo, dac can't get a lock, but the sample rate is at least OK.

Thx very much for this, will have a read at the dummies .... first things first ... soccer and RM 2:0 so far, strangely enough broadcasted live on DUTCH telly ....

Cheers,

Peter.

downloaded and activated the asio stuff for audiogate. works like a dream for 48/24 if ones try 96/24 i plays like a jojo, dac can't get a lock, but the sample rate is at least OK.

Thx very much for this, will have a read at the dummies .... first things first ... soccer and RM 2:0 so far, strangely enough broadcasted live on DUTCH telly ....

Cheers,

Peter.

soccer?? do you mean football?:D

When you say playing like a jojo, do you mean you are getting stutter or drop outs? Is that and old or a recent laptop?

Cheers,

Peter.

Try adjusting the dpll value. (set to "best")

yep, the real thing (about soccer)

like a jojo it means you see the lock led flashing on the dac board and the music is pretty much moving along, going up and down (hearing) like dropping every second or so. The laptop I use is having a core i5-3320 @ 2.6 Gig with 4 MB and W7-64 I'd say ok ...

Try adjusting the dpll value. (set to "best")

thx glt for dropping in,

i'll try that one, since i'm currently programming the i2c stuff so that fits in .... i'll have to dig it up in the datasheet .... just a sec or so ....

just checked the DS ... is reg#25 bit 1 correct ?

well, the value is 00 that means not the best is set ... yet

bummer, misread have to execute the i2c actions of course .... requerying .... moment ...

Last edited:
last 2 lines

= register 25 = 0x02 = 0000 0010 (set to best)
= register 11 = 0x85 = 1000 0101 (set to lowest bandwidth, only bits 4-2, here 001)

P1080704_zps0b7ed945.jpg

got today my TPS7A4700EVM (2x), they were preset @ 3.30 V. So I quickly connected it to the AVCC part of the board in exchange of my QAD uA7805+LM1117, no other changes made and all of a sudden it played all up to 96 kHz in Audiogate .... as you can see in the picture ... up to the next PSU part ... replacing DVCC as well ...

P1080710_zpsd714f89a.jpg

Flac, if the eye doesn't trick looks like your I2S cables from the Combo to the DAC are on the longish side. The closer you get to 10cm the worse, specially at the highest sampling rates. Can't you rearrange the boards and shorten the hose cables? or maybe inserting one of the isolator boards in between?

... and by replacing the DVCC with a TPS7A4700EVM board as well it got even better it now locks even onto a DSD 2.8 MHz file in Audiogate automatically selecting 192 kHz ... it was all caused by noisy power supply units ... I'll rearrange the test setup to have the smallest wires as possible for the I2S ... hoping someday an update will come to play up to 384 kHz for the Amanero ...

thx for all ur assistance in this guys ...

P1080711_zps47505c49.jpg

Flac , interesting results, you also should try to use smt ceramic caps (x7r) for power supply decoupling (those caps near the ess9018) , they have less inductance and esr. You should also check the resistance of the ferrite beads that you are using , some smt ferrites have high resistance (dcr) and that will degrade the output impedance of the power supply , my recommendation is to change them with throw hole ferrite beads.

Last edited:
Flac , interesting results, you also should try to use smt ceramic caps (x7r) for power supply decoupling (those caps near the ess9018) , they have less inductance and esr. You should also check the resistance of the ferrite beads that you are using , some smt ferrites have high resistance (dcr) and that will degrade the output impedance of the power supply , my recommendation is to change them with throw hole ferrite beads.

The SR gets even better, at the moment it is playing DSD64 through foobar with a SR of 352.8 kHz can't get it higher.

Tried the Amanero firmware update to 1.0.58, I have 1.0.56. Although this update proces reacts as documented but does not seem to be working. I've got no 384 and the system keeps on insisting to display 1.0.56 ....

The 352.8 play comes with a price though ... sometimes after playing is stopped there some high pitch tone like a switching psu or digital nose. What I noticed as well, not always but so once in a wile is that after playing some other SR and than the DSD64 it can not get a lock. Stopping and playing a 48 kHz track and than the DSD64 it does get a lock ...

I've cut down the traces of the I2S wires to some 5 cm but that did not give me any noticable differences.

About those caps and ferrites, I have to check my part list and the datasheets to figure out how the specs are .... and see how I can improve ...

P1080718_zps71b782be.jpg

The 352.8 play comes with a price though ... sometimes after playing is stopped there some high pitch tone like a switching psu or digital nose. What I noticed as well, not always but so once in a wile is that after playing some other SR and than the DSD64 it can not get a lock. Stopping and playing a 48 kHz track and than the DSD64 it does get a lock ...

Your clock is too slow. Needs 100 MHz

Your clock is too slow. Needs 100 MHz

The Amanero plays PCM -> 384k and DSD even with the 22/24M clocks from the Amanero. You only need a 90/98M clock to play higher PCM sample rates with OSF enabled. Setup and let the Amanero send the I2C commands. So if you do not have the proper clocks - use the clocks from the Amanero in synchronous mode and disable OSF for PCM rates above 96kHz.

can't get my hands on a 100 MHz 25ppm crystek clock .... have a lead time of 10 weeks or have to settle with 50 ppm .... checked mouser, farnell, ebay, any other possible suspects ??

Still does not explain why the 384 is not avail as a selection and version not going to 1.0.58 ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.