A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Do you have a picture of your set up as an example?

Here's a picture. Plus and minus pin of both greatz 10A 1000V connected together. One AC pin from both greatz connected to the chassis, the other AC pin connected to GND from DAC supply (or WaveIO supplu, separately from DAC). AC pins bridged with 10ohm 2W MOX resistors and 100nF X2 PP capacitors. On the pin where the power supply from the DAC is grounded I connected Pin1 from the XLR connectors. An alternative is Pin1 on the chassis.

Attachments

• DDDAC GND.jpg
    DDDAC GND.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
This is what I measured with my DDDAC

fS=44.1kHz: 0dB @ 20Hz = -3.2dB @ 20kHz
fS=88.2kHz: 0dB @ 20Hz = 0.8dB @ 20kHz

That's not so much a question of (non) oversampling, but rather about the sampling theorem. With 44.1 kHz sampling frequency, one cannot capture anything above 22.05 kHz. Oversampling / interpolation / upsampling of such data cannot bring back any audio data that was lost during sampling.

Re: Aleph J.... the original design and implementation can be vastly improved to get truly great 2-gain stage amplifier; try searching the Aleph J thread for Aleph J MKII; I have provided detailed instructions and the modified circuit diagram.

I know the Aleph inside out. Yes, it is a good amp, but that is not the point. Even if you tweak the Aleph, it will still have much more non-linear distortion than the DDDAC. My point is therefore that if you care about distortion, you should point your finger on the Aleph, not on the DDDAC.

Guys, we discussed tbe XLR connection and grounding/earthing stuff about two weeks ago in this thread. Just look it up in the respective posts.

Thanks, Mbrennwa. I've take a look back, interesting that it came up so recently too. Nixie thanks for all of your input too!

Well looking back on the discussion from last month, pin1 of the XLR came up a lot. I did the most basic experiment of taking an interconnect and putting one end on pin1 and the other end to chassis (where the XLR plug is bolted). Buzzing completely gone and absolutely silent on the headphones. So I think that's cracked it, I just need to connect pin1 to chassis like in my NC400 amp.

I listened to some music through my headphones even with the ground loop in the background and it still sounded incredible! Wow, absolutely cannot wait to get the solder iron out.

I also decided to upgrade my DDDAC (well tweak) for the first time in a few years and will now run it from a Raspberry pi with FIFOpi attached (and Newclass D Neutron Star clock) feeding directly to the I2S pins of the DDDAC. Also ordered some Salas regs and other PSU bits so I just cannot wait to hear what this is all going to sound like :):):)

I also decided to upgrade my DDDAC (well tweak) for the first time in a few years and will now run it from a Raspberry pi with FIFOpi attached (and Newclass D Neutron Star clock) feeding directly to the I2S pins of the DDDAC. Also ordered some Salas regs and other PSU bits so I just cannot wait to hear what this is all going to sound like :):):)

Nice to hear you are so content with the DDDAC sound :)

Also nice tweaks ahead! It would be great for the community here, if you would not change everything at once (it will be an improvement, for sure) but one at a time and check/report what the impact was? For example start with the PI than add the FIFOPi with standard clock. change the clock, than add the power supply bits one at a time.... This won't take you more than a Sunday afternoon.

What I always do is "burn-in" the parts already a few days ahead of the tests. Just power them up and let them stay for a a few days or week.

but, your call of course !

Thanks, Mbrennwa. I've take a look back, interesting that it came up so recently too. Nixie thanks for all of your input too!

Well looking back on the discussion from last month, pin1 of the XLR came up a lot. I did the most basic experiment of taking an interconnect and putting one end on pin1 and the other end to chassis (where the XLR plug is bolted). Buzzing completely gone and absolutely silent on the headphones. So I think that's cracked it, I just need to connect pin1 to chassis like in my NC400 amp.

I listened to some music through my headphones even with the ground loop in the background and it still sounded incredible! Wow, absolutely cannot wait to get the solder iron out.

I don't know what your wiring is in the DDDAC, but I achieved a good upgrade by changing the wiring. I used VDH CS12 for 230VAC and VDH SCS18 for everything else. The difference is big compared to standard 230V copper wires and some silver-plated Teflon-insulated copper wire for everything else.

Also nice tweaks ahead! It would be great for the community here, if you would not change everything at once (it will be an improvement, for sure) but one at a time and check/report what the impact was? For example start with the PI than add the FIFOPi with standard clock. change the clock, than add the power supply bits one at a time.... This won't take you more than a Sunday afternoon.

Thanks Doede, Ill see what I can do as yes it would be very interesting (for me too!!) One thing I can confirm, is that a raspberry pi directly in to the DDDAC (via WaveIO USB) sounds absolutely pants.... I thought my headphones or amp were broken until I moved back to my normal HTPC and the dynamics and openess came back. The pi USB was bass heavy, felt slow (like I was literally bored listening to the music) and lacked life. I will try the I2S perhaps direct from pi before the FIFOpi!

I will try the I2S perhaps direct from pi before the FIFOpi!

Expect to be disappointed by the RPi direct I2S out, which has a pretty bad clock (it's not even a proper clock at all). A reclocker will fix this. Ians FiFo is great! It just works out of the box, and if used with good oscillators, the sound is very, very good!

Expect to be disappointed by the RPi direct I2S out, which has a pretty bad clock (it's not even a proper clock at all). A reclocker will fix this. Ians FiFo is great! It just works out of the box, and if used with good oscillators, the sound is very, very good!

Haha well based on my experience of the USB-out Im certainly not expecting anything great. The sound was so bad - it just lacked any life... plus there was popping all over the place.

That was my main concern about using the pi, even with the Fifopi and whether itll end up being a downgrade from my current HTPC which I built specifically as a transport via USB. But I would like to have the portability of the integrated streamer (and the pi will only be used as a renderer) so Im hoping the Fifopi and a clean PSU will at least equal my current HTPC USB out.

Hi,

I have FIFO Pi Q3 in my system for quite some time now. I'm very pleased soundwise when a track is running, no pop / clicks, very clean and detailed sound, great soundstage.

But there is one issue I'm struggling with: When I start playing a new track or jumping to a new position within the same song, there is often one short (loud) click / pop. After that the track plays without issues with great sound. The click volume differs, sometimes it is quiet I can almost not hear it, but most of the times it is really loud and I'm afraid that my speaker get broken!?! Also the 'position' of the click moves: Most of the time on the left side, sometimes the click moves to the middle and right side of the soundstage. Really strange.

My chain is: RPI I2S -> FIFO PI Q3 -> DDDAC.
I'm running volumio, but I have also tested with moode. Same issue. Because I thouht this comes from EMI issues I have ordered a GPIO extension cable to get some space between RPI and FIFO PI. But did not help either.

With RPI USB -> WaveIO -> DDDAC I have no such issues, so I think my DDDAC, PSU and the rest of the chain is not the problem.

A test without FIFO PI (Only RPI) is pending (Maybe I have the time at weekend).

Do you have an idea? Someone with the same issues? I would really love to keep the FIFO PI in the system because sound is great when track is running, but the clicks in the beginning are driving me crazy...

Hi,

I have FIFO Pi Q3 in my system for quite some time now. I'm very pleased soundwise when a track is running, no pop / clicks, very clean and detailed sound, great soundstage.

But there is one issue I'm struggling with: When I start playing a new track or jumping to a new position within the same song, there is often one short (loud) click / pop. After that the track plays without issues with great sound. The click volume differs, sometimes it is quiet I can almost not hear it, but most of the times it is really loud and I'm afraid that my speaker get broken!?! Also the 'position' of the click moves: Most of the time on the left side, sometimes the click moves to the middle and right side of the soundstage. Really strange.

My chain is: RPI I2S -> FIFO PI Q3 -> DDDAC.

I'm running volumio, but I have also tested with moode. Same issue. Because I thouht this comes from EMI issues I have ordered a GPIO extension cable to get some space between RPI and FIFO PI. But did not help either.

With RPI USB -> WaveIO -> DDDAC I have no such issues, so I think my DDDAC, PSU and the rest of the chain is not the problem.

A test without FIFO PI (Only RPI) is pending (Maybe I have the time at weekend).

Do you have an idea? Someone with the same issues? I would really love to keep the FIFO PI in the system because sound is great when track is running, but the clicks in the beginning are driving me crazy...

I have the same behavior, using Fifopi as well. But I believe this was also the case with the Hifiberry I used before. I have not been able to narrow down when it does or does not happen. I notice it more now with high efficient horns (110db).