A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

It is great Simon, to have you as a long year DDDAC enthousiast :cool: (like me ;) )

Love the DAC and hobbie! I have built 2 now for my friends. For myself I have a main DAC and a test DAC.

Any changes I want to make I do these on the test DAC and if happy install on the main DAC. Easier this way but of course more costs.....

Out of interest I want to do a bake off with other DACs but never bother as love the sound but do wonder how it would sound compared to Chord DAC and M scaler as an example...only out of interest of course! :up:

Last edited:
Anyone here who have tried Ian’s fifo ultimate hooked up to waveio ? My Aurender have only usb output, and I also like the sound very much, so waveio stays, and Ian’s latest reclocker with the Accusilicion chrystals look very promising.

I wonder if I can power fifo from the 5v ldo reg on dddac mainboard ? It is the same reg that feeds i2s isolated side on waveio. I think 500mA is enough for both waveio (isolated i2s side) and fifo.

Anyone ?

Fifo 40 pin connector. Read waveio instead of Rasberry (J1) Pin 2 or 4 + any of the gnd pins is what I’m thinking can be a way to do it.

Attachments

• FB9A4C6A-8F19-4370-9893-2F708675CC35.jpeg
    FB9A4C6A-8F19-4370-9893-2F708675CC35.jpeg
    422.9 KB · Views: 275
Anyone here who have tried Ian’s fifo ultimate hooked up to waveio ? My Aurender have only usb output, and I also like the sound very much, so waveio stays, and Ian’s latest reclocker with the Accusilicion chrystals look very promising.

I wonder if I can power fifo from the 5v ldo reg on dddac mainboard ? It is the same reg that feeds i2s isolated side on waveio. I think 500mA is enough for both waveio (isolated i2s side) and fifo.

Anyone ?

I have bought one and using it with a Pi and Roon so bye bye waveio if it works out

How does Ians board compare to the more common reclockers by HifiBerry and, aehm, Allolollo?

I am maybe a bit early, and normally never do this (coming out early) but as this is really a theme lately, let me share something I did and my thoughts around it ... I still need / want to do some more listening and other tests, but haha - time - !! Maybe round Christmas (two weeks off :cool: )

Motivated by all positive stories I bought a standard Kali reclocker and connected it to an ("old" board without Tent) 8-Deck DAC with Sowter output, which I have standing around for tests etc. I made it so, I could quickly switch between with and without reclocking - As Source it uses the Waveio and the Aurender.

I did not have time to do long and intensive listening tests. To be honest and my disappointment, it was not clear at all in the beginning if this was better or not - May be I was expecting big revealing differences and was not sitting on the tip of my chair, listening to small details. So what could cause this? DDDAC users did report back success? Am I getting old ears or what?

So my thoughts around this are the following and NEED further testing from my side:

1. Audio creative used the IAN and had best results after the clocks were changed to some super clocks. Is the standard Kali not good enough to reveal? Need to check...

2. Based on the above point, I am using Waveio and Aurender. This was compared to PC/Waveaudio a very audible and immediately clear to hear improvement (Is it maybe so, that timing with Aurender is already so much better that the standard Kali reclocker does not causes that jump again? And I was may be expecting that to happen again and hence was disappointed?)

3. Is the Setup with PI and Berry in its standard form less good in timing than the Aurender and hence causes the positives results relatively spoken? (I cannot check that as I do not have that as source available)

4. May be the combination of the Aurender and Waveio is already so good that a standard Kali is not the medicine it needs ?

Food for thought...

So what I should actually DO to better understand how impact and causes are related, I should:

1. Test the same setup I have with a (poor) PC to Waveio and see if now the reclocker shows more improvement? If the Aurender improvement is the better timing of the source, that would explain something, wouldn't it?

2. Next step: get an Ian board with the super clocks and make my own opinion of Ian versus kali and clocks versus super clocks ? That would also explain something

exiting hobby time ahead :D
Hope to get some time soon!

I just wanted to share this - even though I feel I am only half way through this :eek:

Last edited:
Motivated by all positive stories I bought a standard Kali reclocker and ... Audio creative used the IAN ... Waveio and Aurender ... compared to PC/Waveaudio

Food for thought...

Ha! It's great so see that even the Master of DDDAC is jumping in :D

Doede, you just opened Pandoras box. Have fun!

With respect to the Kali (yes, I am repeating myself), I learned the hard way that the Kali boards are a mixed bag. Some boards work well and sound good, some just don't work at all, and some are somewhere in between. Comparing reports about "the Kali" just does not work, because one never knows which incarnation of Kali it was. I have given up on the Kali (and Allo in general).

With respect to the Aurender vs. other USB sources: I don't understand how this could make a difference. The USB is just a source for the digital signal amplitude values, whereas the clocking of the signal is done by the USB receiver. I am pretty sure even the crappiest USB source will provide a lossless USB transfer of the signal values to the USB receiver. The only issues I could imagine would be ground loops or similar noise on the USB lines that makes it harder for the USB receiver to do its job.

Well, Aurender is better sounding than many cheaper streamers. I know since I have tried several. Kali is another story. I have two of them, and both stop working after a few days. Kali was one some points better than waveio, but I ended up preferring waveio. More detail in Kali, but listening fatigue sat in after a while. Now I am curious to hear if Ian's with Accu clocks will perform better

I am maybe a bit early, and normally never do this (coming out early) but as this is really a theme lately, let me share something I did and my thoughts around it ... I still need / want to do some more listening and other tests, but haha - time - !! Maybe round Christmas (two weeks off :cool: )

Motivated by all positive stories I bought a standard Kali reclocker and connected it to an ("old" board without Tent) 8-Deck DAC with Sowter output, which I have standing around for tests etc. I made it so, I could quickly switch between with and without reclocking - As Source it uses the Waveio and the Aurender.

I did not have time to do long and intensive listening tests. To be honest and my disappointment, it was not clear at all in the beginning if this was better or not - May be I was expecting big revealing differences and was not sitting on the tip of my chair, listening to small details. So what could cause this? DDDAC users did report back success? Am I getting old ears or what?

So my thoughts around this are the following and NEED further testing from my side:

1. Audio creative used the IAN and had best results after the clocks were changed to some super clocks. Is the standard Kali not good enough to reveal? Need to check...

2. Based on the above point, I am using Waveio and Aurender. This was compared to PC/Waveaudio a very audible and immediately clear to hear improvement (Is it maybe so, that timing with Aurender is already so much better that the standard Kali reclocker does not causes that jump again? And I was may be expecting that to happen again and hence was disappointed?)

3. Is the Setup with PI and Berry in its standard form less good in timing than the Aurender and hence causes the positives results relatively spoken? (I cannot check that as I do not have that as source available)

4. May be the combination of the Aurender and Waveio is already so good that a standard Kali is not the medicine it needs ?

Food for thought...

So what I should actually DO to better understand how impact and causes are related, I should:

1. Test the same setup I have with a (poor) PC to Waveio and see if now the reclocker shows more improvement? If the Aurender improvement is the better timing of the source, that would explain something, wouldn't it?

2. Next step: get an Ian board with the super clocks and make my own opinion of Ian versus kali and clocks versus super clocks ? That would also explain something

exiting hobby time ahead :D
Hope to get some time soon!

I just wanted to share this - even though I feel I am only half way through this :eek:

I tried the 22/24 Kali with my WaveIO. Powered by LDOVR LT3045 reg on main board. Sowter trf. MacBook Pro/Audirvana.
At first I thought wow this is good. More details and a bit tighter bass. After some listening it started to get really uncomfortable. Connection to music totally lost. Just a lot of details with no coherence. Nasty upper midrange. Tried running it for a week. No improvement at all. WaveIO is now back and all is fine.