A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Rpi into Kali into dddac, yes.

Not to dampen your enthusiasm but I also went down the same Rpi+Isolator+Kali route and tried various decent power supplies but sadly the Rpi brings in too much garbage and the digital harshness was a deal breaker and I had to give it up. Now I use the Kali between the WaveIO and DDDAC with far superior results. You may want to consider that.

Mmh that's interesting, I wonder if that's still the noise of the pi (emi/rfi) or another culprit :confused:

In principal the Kali should have the same quality on it's output, no matter what's the input (as long as the signal is decent enough to not get it's buffer overflowing or running out of data)

I wonder how some other SBC's (sparky or orchid ....) compare in this situation

Mmh that's interesting, I wonder if that's still the noise of the pi (emi/rfi) or another culprit :confused:

In principal the Kali should have the same quality on it's output, no matter what's the input (as long as the signal is decent enough to not get it's buffer overflowing or running out of data)

I wonder how some other SBC's (sparky or orchid ....) compare in this situation

I am afraid that Kali or any interface gets massively affected by the source (Rpi etc.). I even used Allo's Spidf bridge which I believed was using Sparky as the SBC and with that I found it to have a digital harshness. Allo's Shanti PS was powering the setup then. I still would recommend WaveIO along with Kali. In fact my Rpi and Isolator are not being utilized at all and are lying idle. I might just sell them off.

While that is being discussed, is there going to be any merit in also using Allo Isolator between the waveio and Kali and then take the signal out from Kali to DDDAC main board? Will that improve the sound (reduce the garbage)? I am putting out this question to all if anyone would have tried that?

My results with the Kali were very different. If/when it worked, it was very good with both the WaveIO or the RPi.

However, different production batches of the Kali worked with different success with the WaveIO. Some did not work at all.

If you are after best sound with the WaveIO, give the Kali a try. With the RPi, I would recommend the Hifiberry Pro boards with I2S out. They just work and the sound is just as good as with the Kali.

My system runs DDDAC+ Raspberry pI + Allo Isolator + hi fiberry Digi Plus Pro. The sound is highly dependent on the software that is used. I tried a lot (Rune, Volumio, Moode, Picore ....). The best result, for me, is Roon Bridge on the Raspberry Pi and Roon Core on the Intel NUC. Now I am pleased with the sound of my system.

Ah nice, i really enjoy dicks articles, thanks for the links. Although I have to say if nothing got lost in translation I'd say " blown away" is a bit of an exaggeration ^^

Also a fair comparison would mean to euqip the Kali with the same clocks (if one would want to compare the boards alone to each other)

Don't get me wrong the fifopi looks nice and more compact than the Kali + isolator and beeing able to quickly swap clocks a real nice idea (although I think I remember reading that clocks should be soldered on the board and not plugged with ic's for best performance)

Greetings

Edit; forgot to mention that ropieee is great and easy to use. Its what I use too

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
People who are planning to build the DDDAC will have a nervous breakdown if they try to keep up with all the improvements published by Audio Creative.
When i started reading this thread people were busy adding all kind of little things on the print that made them look real horrorshow. Doede said he was planning to design a new board with the shunts included and one other mod . I decided to wait.
I am still using the WAVEIO with the Aurender but they say USB is so bad.....
I still can improve the present power supply for the wave IO.
I think making the change from USB to i2S is more time consuming than the DDDAC itself. I can speak French but i remember in the past ordering in France was time consuming.
They should write a nice manual that will allow more people to go for this adventure.
Greetings, Eduard

I think making the change from USB to i2S is more time consuming than the DDDAC itself.

I think you overestimate this.

You don't move to I2S at all, you are already using it with the WaveIO. It is just a matter of replacing the WaveIO with some other I2S source. Setting up an RPi with a recklocker board for I2S out is pretty easy and certainly A LOT less work than building a DDDAC.

Oh, and you could make big fat PSU for the RPi!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
It seems obvious that switching to I2S will bring improvements.
When building the DDDAC almost everything seemed logic.
I just made some changes in the power supplies because that was not that difficult to do. Also did change some voltage regulators on the main board. Gave the wave io a Belleson regulator after another member reported good results.
The latest sponsored writings about the new I2S devices to be combined with the berry streamer looks promising.
The power supply with Lifepo4 is described as expensive but still cheaper than the Audioquest ethernetcable they were using during testing.
When using the basic Roon nucleus, berrystreamer, Fifopi, Accusilicon clocks and the Lifepo4 power supply it will still be cheaper than my present Aurender.
I will try to find a well documented manual to see how things should be done because now it comes down to combining info from several sources.
Greeting eduard

My setup: Sparky + Dietpi > Kali Reclocker > i2s out > DDDAC 1794S ...
Very hapy to eliminate USB connection and Waveio, direct i2s to dddac increase the 3d feeling.

Guys, it's not about "direct I2S". It does not matter where your I2S data stream comes from (USB, network, whatever). All that matters is that it's a clean signal with low jitter. A reclocker will be useful to achieve this (Kali, Ian, Hifiberry, etc.).

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I did a bit of reading here on the PC based '' division '' about the Fifopi ( i love this name) and the Lifepo4 power supply.
I decided to move my DDDAC which is just above 30 kilogrammes from its position just above my turntable at 1.8 meter height to a height just above ground which is easier when more elements need to be added to the DDDAC.
Will finish some other things before dumping the Aurender. What i heard so far using the Aurender isnt that bad. Of course Audio creative is there to make money so they will try to convince their clients to make the next step to audio nirvana .
That is what so nice about the DDDAC there is no need to dump a lot of parts every 6 months . Doede took his time to modify the boards with two mods that came from users that were eager to experiments. Me at that time i said i will wait let Doede do the mods.
I got the Sowters from the start. Started with choke input right away. When Lundahl came with a bigger choke i bought it right away because i have made improvements with bigger chokes on other gear too.
I have build my first battery operated gear 35 years ago.( Hiraga MC Le prepre ).
Have changed the standard power supply of a Virtue sensation into a battery operated one. First used a choke input, than a big battery supply, than an ever bigger supply and ended up with a bigger choke input when the expensive big batteries had to be replaced.
The lifepo4 power supply designed by the designer of the Fifopi seems to be a clever way to power up all the elements i need to add to my DDDAC to able to make the move to Roon Nucleus.
We will see next year i guess.
greetings, eduard

Gentlemen, some of you have probably answered this easily while I'm brainstorming.
I'm considering upgrading the clocks of my Cronus reclocker, with Andrea Mori's work (TWTMC).

Would it be possible to give the PCM1794 chip in Doede's NOS arrangement clocks in the 5 and 6 MHz range?
And what would be the maximum sample rate compatibility?

Thanks!