A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

No single answer for sure. I find that the more resolving a system becomes the more likely I am to hear small variations in perceived sound quality.
Where the DDDAC is excelling for me is with regard to making the emotional intent of the musicians more accessible. I have switched frequently between the DDDAC and an Emotiva DC1 over the last year or so. The DDDAC has consistently out performed the DC 1.

hi again, after some reading into choke power supplies (thanks eduard ;) ) and looking for available parts, I simulated the attached circuit for a Kali-PSU (I'm aware that the bleeder resistor is still missing as it seems PSUD is not able to add one, and I have no clue of what rectifier diodes I want to use yet. Perhaps schottky?)

The plan was to add some kind of voltage regulator to secure stable 5V output and perhaps some kind of common noise filter (if necessary).

I would appreciate it, if someone with experience could tell me if I'm overlooking something.

Greetings hifoli

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 423
  • V(R1).png
    V(R1).png
    10.5 KB · Views: 418
Regarding the better and worse days in SQ from the DDdac.
I do not have those different days in SQ, when i switch it on it takes about 10 minutes to get there where i left of the day before.

It is possible that i have less mains noise because i can see the mainstrafo in the backjard of my neighbour :D

Question though, which of you has an external PSU?

If i remember correctly i read somewhere in this thread that the DDdac was a bit sensitive to some kind of radiation fom the powersupply so i build an external PSU.

Furthermore, the more complex your chain of components is the more it could influence eachother i guess.

I have an external power supply with a cable carrying filtered dc to the DAC chassis. I have +12 and +5vdc regulators located at the input terminals to the motherboard. I also have the output filter caps installed across the dac output resistors.
The other factor I find influences sound is background noise. My listening room is very quiet if I turn off the HRV. If the HRV is on the air flow noise can be distracting which make it more difficult to hear low level detail.

Regarding the better and worse days in SQ from the DDdac.
I do not have those different days in SQ, when i switch it on it takes about 10 minutes to get there where i left of the day before.

It is possible that i have less mains noise because i can see the mainstrafo in the backjard of my neighbour :D

Question though, which of you has an external PSU?

If i remember correctly i read somewhere in this thread that the DDdac was a bit sensitive to some kind of radiation fom the powersupply so i build an external PSU.

Furthermore, the more complex your chain of components is the more it could influence eachother i guess.

Here is mine external psu. R-core trafo’s, Sjøstrøm rectifier bridge, mundorf silver in oil caps, Lundal chokes and dddac stock psu.

After adding the Kali recklocker, my setup plays with punch, drive and a lot of details.

Attachments

• D7EDB4B5-7E96-46AC-9879-83C5EDF56052.jpeg
    D7EDB4B5-7E96-46AC-9879-83C5EDF56052.jpeg
    927 KB · Views: 375
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello ,
Doede told me that with the DDDAC you dont need to worry to much about the power supply being nearby the circuit because the circuit is low impedance.
All the power supply circuit i use in the DDDAC chassis are choke input. I wired all the Lundahl chokes in what they call common mode connection which reduces '' bad influences '' on components nearby considerably. Also took care that the connections between transformer, diodes and input choke are as short as possible.
Rod Coleman the designer of a well appreciated power supply for direct heated power tubes tells us to use transformers that are split bobbin to reduce transferring of garbage between prim. and sec. windings. Of course most people here use other transformers.
I am using the SBYV28 diodes. They are rather small in current rating but because of the choke-input there is just a moderate current running and no charging peaks that causes the diodes to heat up AND causing them to influence the sound.
greetings, eduard
P.s Triad company makes some nice small but big enough transformer to be used with choke input.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
It seems Mouser in Europe is selling other types of split bobin from Triad.
I got mine in the USA.
If you enter the Mouser site in the USA just use search function for VPP triad and FP Triad and both types i am using will pop up.
Usually they offer free shipping above 50$ or so but the price is below 20$ for the right one.
Greetings, eduard
P.s remember the secundairy voltage you will be needings depends a LOT on the DCR of the input choke. I am using the LL2771 which is much better value for the price if you compare them to the little LL2733 and LL1694.
The DCR of the LL2771 is much bigger so is the inductance. Doede told me that especially when using shunts the DCR is no importance. He simulated my power supply and attenuation of 100 hertz is above 200DB.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Just checked with psud.
If you need a 12 volt power supply that can supply around 1A for a 4 board dddac with Tent shunts. You could use the following '' set up ''
Triad FP30-1600 ( 30 volts 1,6A ) 4 SBYV28 diodes, LL2771 3H 1A, 10000microfarad 40 volts, LL1694 160mH 1,6A 20000microfarad. Then you will have around 12,4 volts output with 3,7 mv ripple. Of course install a bleeder across the first cap. So it is an LCLC supply. To save some money you could replace the second choke by a resistor. The biggest improvement compared to the usual stuff is coming from the LL2771. And your diy friends will all ask why you did not buy a bigger transformer. This kind of transformer was recommended by Rod Coleman for his DHT power supplies. This transformer cost well below 20$ but you will spend your savings on the input choke!!
greetings, eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
forgot a photo

Hello,
Just to put things into perspective a photo with some of the old and the new LC supply parts. The big red one is the old transformer, the one next to it is the new one.
The small Lundahl is the old choke and the big one the new one.
Greetings, eduard
P.s not completely true!!. This is the transformer i would use now but when i bought the new transformer i wasnt exactly sure what voltage i would need need to i bought one with several low voltages on the sec. side so i could '' compose '' the right voltage. New transformer has a lower ( 160va) than the old R core which was 500VA

Attachments

• old and new choke input.jpg
    old and new choke input.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 520
Hi all.

Back in 2014-2015 I was building a DDDAC and contributing to this forum. Something really bad subsequently happened to me and I've spent 4 years recovering. Now that the winter is cominng here in Europe I am going to get back into this hobby and hopefully finish my DAC!

I can't remember a lot of what went on back then, the mods list was getting out of hand and my build had deviated from the standard setup considerably.

I am going to start reading back through hundreds of pages of this thread, but this is just to forewarn you all that I might come back with some questions that may have already been answered. I apologise for this in advance, and hope that you all can understand that brain injuries are debilitating and I'm not just being lazy.

Best wishes,

Thommy

PS I do know that one of my PCM1794 chips has blown due to a freak 12v into ground accident. Is there anyone in the UK who can replace the chip if I send them the duff board?

Last edited:
Hi all.

Back in 2014-2015 I was building a DDDAC and contributing to this forum. Something really bad subsequently happened to me and I've spent 4 years recovering. Now that the winter is cominng here in Europe I am going to get back into this hobby and hopefully finish my DAC!

I can't remember a lot of what went on back then, the mods list was getting out of hand and my build had deviated from the standard setup considerably.

I am going to start reading back through hundreds of pages of this thread, but this is just to forewarn you all that I might come back with some questions that may have already been answered. I apologise for this in advance, and hope that you all can understand that brain injuries are debilitating and I'm not just being lazy.

Best wishes,

Thommy

PS I do know that one of my PCM1794 chips has blown due to a freak 12v into ground accident. Is there anyone in the UK who can replace the chip if I send them the duff board?

Welcome back Thommy. I wondered where you’d gone and am pleased to hear you are on the road to recovery, after what sounds like some difficult times.

James

Hi.

A friend of mine would like to build the DDDAC, but he has never made anything DIY audio before, so I will help him out.
There is a couple of things to consider, that you guys may have some thoughts on.

1. He would like USB from computer. Is WaveIo still the best option?

2. What would you choose as a start: Standard PSU with 4 boards or Magic Power supply from Audio Creative and 1 board?

best regards

1. WaveIo is the best usb-i2s converter I have tried, and still use. I will strongly recommend adding a Kali reclocker after the WaveIo. Better on all hifi parameters.

2. Maybe start with one deck and then do a shootout agaist your dac Puma ?

A powersupply called magic is perhaps not much better than Doede’s stock psu ?
Maybe there is someone who have compared and can share ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Just checked with psud.
If you need a 12 volt power supply that can supply around 1A for a 4 board dddac with Tent shunts. You could use the following '' set up ''
Triad FP30-1600 ( 30 volts 1,6A ) 4 SBYV28 diodes, LL2771 3H 1A, 10000microfarad 40 volts, LL1694 160mH 1,6A 20000microfarad. Then you will have around 12,4 volts output with 3,7 mv ripple. Of course install a bleeder across the first cap. So it is an LCLC supply. To save some money you could replace the second choke by a resistor. The biggest improvement compared to the usual stuff is coming from the LL2771. And your diy friends will all ask why you did not buy a bigger transformer. This kind of transformer was recommended by Rod Coleman for his DHT power supplies. This transformer cost well below 20$ but you will spend your savings on the input choke!!
greetings, eduard
Hello,
The set up described above will be around 300 euro. The magic power supply will be 575 euro. The Magic is CLC. Mine is LCLC. This one can be used with 4 boards. Mine has been switched on 24/7 for a few weeks now.
Start with one board isnt that nice because adding 3 boards is not a nice job.
IF you start with one board you will need another trformer because the current being drawn is much smaller.
Doede told me that there is no need to put the supply in a separate housing!!
There are a lots of chokes in my DDDAC no problem at all.
Greetings, Eduard

Hi guys, my DDDAC with Kali is up and running. Playing it‘s first few songs at the moment (although I nearly went insane debugging the Kali and the DDDAC before I recognized I didn’t connect the i2s/spdif switch contacts xD)

Question now is if I should go with the sowters. Is there anybody out there who didn’t like them? If so why and is the one selling them now? ;D

Also should I try to eliminate the remaining dc voltage on the signal if I use the sowters or is that no problem for them?

BTW. I wanna go balanced into my preamp which is a Schiit Freya with 10kOhm Input impedance (I think i read somewhere here that 5k to 15k Input impedance is recommended but can’t find it anymore)

BR Hifoli

PS. Great kit, building everything was quite some soldering work but was good fun too :) thanks for putting it out there Doede