A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

The output of the transformers does NOT need to be connected back to the DDDAC common. That would be my first guess at what i going on. Typically the isolation of the transformer provides much less chance of getting hum. Check your wiring.

+1.

Maybe your signal output connectors (RCA, XLR?) are in contact to the chassis, which is at GND? That would connect the transformer secondaries to GND.

Outputs have been CAP connected last month, due to the noise isue.
This morning I replaced the rca connectors and wired in the transformers. Voila
Best guess : ground issue .
After a few hours of listening: great improvement!

Attachments

• 81C062F9-03BC-45A3-BFAC-CB35164D324E.jpg
    81C062F9-03BC-45A3-BFAC-CB35164D324E.jpg
    986 KB · Views: 341
  • 286A9AFC-F486-4ACD-B5AE-C81218A6E7D4.jpg
    286A9AFC-F486-4ACD-B5AE-C81218A6E7D4.jpg
    979.1 KB · Views: 341
How have folks using Sowter 9335 TVCs wired them to their DDDac?

I presume that pos and neg from the DAC output go to the 9335 primary. What about 9335 secondary wiring? I need to drive a balanced power amp (AtmaSphere M60 OTLs) via XLR connectors. I presume XLR pin 3 negative goes to the fixed end of the 9335s and that XLR pin 2 positive gos to the output from the secondary tap selected by the volume switch, but I'm not sure how to connect pin 1.

Also my DAC is currently using Cinemag 15/15Bs through one of Enrico's buffer boards. Do the Sowter 9335s still benefit from the buffer board?

Do the Sowter 9335s still benefit from the buffer board?

YES! The buffer provides a stronger signal to the xformers while allowing the DAC to function cleanly without seeing an inductive load.

You can always easily try it both ways.

I am also looking to upgrade from my Cinemag 15/15B. A friend of mine is using an Electra-Print xformer using the buffer and it sounds a bit better than the Cinemags.

The Sowters arrived today. They are now mounted, and playing fine. No issues.
IMO transformers need some time before they perform at it´s best, but so far I think the money was well spent.
The dac plays very well with caps, and if you don't try transformer output, nothing is to be missed. But, now it is no way back. Looking forward to enjoy the development over the next days and weeks.

By the way, has anyone of you experimented with different value resistors to terminate the transformers?

IMO transformers need some time before they perform at it´s best, but so far I think the money was well spent.
The dac plays very well with caps, and if you don't try transformer output, nothing is to be missed. But, now it is no way back. Looking forward to enjoy the development over the next days and weeks.

By the way, has anyone of you experimented with different value resistors to terminate the transformers?

Pictures of trafos please...curious to see how these get fitted in the chasis

Good stuff. But why does it feel that the difference in sound was not as stark as you would have been expecting. I mean comments don’t suggest that it is a night and day difference. Maybe these need time to run-in because I think others have reported a substantial improvement post putting these in. Not just compared to the capacitors but also between Cinemags and these. Anyway, we will eagerly await the developments that come in in the upcoming weeks.

Good stuff. But why does it feel that the difference in sound was not as stark as you would have been expecting. I mean comments don’t suggest that it is a night and day difference. Maybe these need time to run-in because I think others have reported a substantial improvement post putting these in. Not just compared to the capacitors but also between Cinemags and these. Anyway, we will eagerly await the developments that come in in the upcoming weeks.

Well, I have heard capacitor vs transformer coupling many times, so I think it was in the ballpark of what I expected.
I will keep you updated.

This must rate as the dumbest question on the forum but I have finally taken the DDAC apart from it's temporary home to build into a new case and I have forgotten how to connect the RCA outputs (using standard MK caps)

If I recall correctly both RCA's grounds go to Common L and R connections but what about the capacitor connections?

Do they connect to +VE on both right and left channels or to -ve on one channel and +ve on the other

Yeah I know, I should know this but don't want to screw it up by experimenting!

This must rate as the dumbest question on the forum but I have finally taken the DDAC apart from it's temporary home to build into a new case and I have forgotten how to connect the RCA outputs (using standard MK caps)

If I recall correctly both RCA's grounds go to Common L and R connections but what about the capacitor connections?

Do they connect to +VE on both right and left channels or to -ve on one channel and +ve on the other

Yeah I know, I should know this but don't want to screw it up by experimenting!

RCA ground go to common, and capacitor go from RCA central pin to POS.
http://www.dddac.com/documents/dddac1794pbt_nos_ver51.pdf

There seems to be a short somewhere. Supplying 12V results in the power supply staying dim and showing low voltage.
I desoldered the lf33 regulators on the main board. Replaced 5V regulator. Then the input power supply stays at 12V. However output of lf80 on the 1794 board is showing as 2.6V.
Ideas please...

Guys - looking for some advice here...tia