A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Update: This command shows the current sample rate (and some other things) of my HiFi Berry on my RPi with Volumio, but should work on manyo other distros:

watch "cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params"

Thanks. I saw that I get that info in my browser on the Volumio page. For now I am fighting the issue that the Pi since trying it first yesterday doesn't connect to WiFi anymore and through I2S I couldn't manage to get anything but noise out of the DAC...
I'll give S/PDIF a try and see what happens.

S/PDIF in works.
The I2S setup is DDDAC I2S in (GND, DATA, LRC, BCK) conected to corresponding Hifiberry P6 outputs. Raspberry vith Volumio.
Those of you that have this working: was it a plug and play thing or were specific settings needed?

Does the DDDAC ground need a connection to PE? I currently have everything running on floating supplies, the output RCA ground is connected to PE.

Thanks for input.

Last edited:
Thanks. I saw that I get that info in my browser on the Volumio page. For now I am fighting the issue that the Pi since trying it first yesterday doesn't connect to WiFi anymore and through I2S I couldn't manage to get anything but noise out of the DAC...
I'll give S/PDIF a try and see what happens.

Possibly the wrong DAC settings in Volumio. Make sure to get the network connection working, then fix the DAC settings. This works for me:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Volumio --> Playback Settings:

Output Device = Generic DAC
I2S DAC = On
DAC Model = Generic DAC

(DSD stuff on default settings, since I never use DSD anyway)

Mixer Type = None

Audio Resampling = Off
-----------------------------------------------------------

You may have to reboot the RPi after changing some of those settings.

I flashed the SD card with Volumio again and took your settings. It is working now.

I have lots of noise on the output (it's quiet with nothing playing, as soon as I hit the PLAY button in iTunes noise starts) though and output distorts when I turn up the volume. I am using iTunes and Airplay for now.

Last edited:
cinemag outputs

What is popular now with regards to output transformer coupling?
Now that Doede has a buffer, I would think the cinemag cmli-600/600c should suffice but would the CMLI-15k/15k work as well?
Any comparison to a Lundahl LL1527 ?

Looking for a Cinemag distributor if someone could point me in the right direction.

Last edited:
I flashed the SD card with Volumio again and took your settings. It is working now.

I have lots of noise on the output (it's quiet with nothing playing, as soon as I hit the PLAY button in iTunes noise starts) though and output distorts when I turn up the volume. I am using iTunes and Airplay for now.

Have you the software volume control enabled in Volumio ("software mixer")? How about resampling? I's suggest to turn these off.

What is popular now with regards to output transformer coupling?

I still like the Sowters. I have a Sowter 9335 transformer volume control at the DDDAC output. That gives even better output impedance when it's not at 100% volume setting.

Now that Doede has a buffer...

WHAAAAAT? REALLY? DOEDE!? :)

Dont need a volume control

Then how do you control playback volume? :D

so maybe a 3603 instead?

I don't know for sure, but that part looks rather small. I'd be surprised if it would cope with a slight DC imbalance at the DDDAC outputs without saturating the magnetic core. Why not use the Sowter trannies that were designed for the DDDAC?

Have you the software volume control enabled in Volumio ("software mixer")? How about resampling? I's suggest to turn these off.

That's all off. I'll try another powersupply and see if anything changes.
Connecting power ground to PE didn't change anything.

I'm a digital supernoob, so for the challenged: I am trying to figure out what's going on and was wondering why there is no noise without music playing/streaming. Do the Pi or Hifiberry or the DDDAC mute if there is no file transfer?

That's all off. I'll try another powersupply and see if anything changes.
Connecting power ground to PE didn't change anything.

I'm a digital supernoob, so for the challenged: I am trying to figure out what's going on and was wondering why there is no noise without music playing/streaming. Do the Pi or Hifiberry or the DDDAC mute if there is no file transfer?

I was also confused about grounding the DDDAC, but I found that different grounding schemes did not make a huge difference in terms of sound with the DDDAC. Just make sure it's safe.

How long are the wires between the HifiBerry and the DDDAC? Can you post a photo?

Finally got spare time to replace the outputcaps with transformers.
1465 DAC Interface Transformer

Dac was silent before, but is making noise now
Increasing With volume. Reminds me of old fishing boat engines... but a higher frequency.
Trafo primaries in series, secondaries parallelled. No r on Secondaries .

Loking at the specs for that transformer it may not be compatible with the DDDAC. The current input level specified in the example is much lower than the DDDac so I would certainly check with Sowter, giving them the actual dddac current output levels, to determine if it will work.

I run everything thru a preamp/controller, I have a vinyl system as well....
I assume the dac see's a 10K load with the 9335? If your not at full volume, I assume the load at the output is around 600 +-

Why not run everything else through the transformer volume control, too? Ok, it would be a bit of work to build a chassis with a selector switch and stuff, but a transformer volume control really is a good thing. I stopped using conventional resistive attenuators, because they basically "burn" must of the music signal to reduce the amplitude :eek:

How long are the wires between the HifiBerry and the DDDAC? Can you post a photo?

The wires are about 6cm long. I used the ones Audio Creative put in with the Hifiberry and cut them as short as needed.

I'm currently travelling for work, picture coming when I'm back.

As I wrote noise starts when a file is playing (is this the same as data transmission?) that's why I was asking if any of the involved appliances (Pi, Hifiberry, DDDAC) automatically mute when there is no input signal. That would would troubleshooting a bit easier.

The wires are about 6cm long. I used the ones Audio Creative put in with the Hifiberry and cut them as short as needed.

I'm currently travelling for work, picture coming when I'm back.

As I wrote noise starts when a file is playing (is this the same as data transmission?) that's why I was asking if any of the involved appliances (Pi, Hifiberry, DDDAC) automatically mute when there is no input signal. That would would troubleshooting a bit easier.

I would expect there is no I2S signal coming from the HifiBerry when playback is stopped, but I am not 100% sure about this with the HifiBerry. I had the same issue you described with the Allo Kali, which did not output an I2S signal if there was no playback. Once playback started, I did get the noise. This happened only with one of my two Kalis, so I guess this was a hardware issue with that Kali. I have changed from the Kali to the HifiBerry a while ago, and never looked back. No issues at all with the HifiBerry.

Maybe get in touch with the HifiBerry tech support, they usually come back with useful ideas.

I would expect there is no I2S signal coming from the HifiBerry when playback is stopped, but I am not 100% sure about this with the HifiBerry. I had the same issue you described with the Allo Kali, which did not output an I2S signal if there was no playback. Once playback started, I did get the noise. This happened only with one of my two Kalis, so I guess this was a hardware issue with that Kali. I have changed from the Kali to the HifiBerry a while ago, and never looked back. No issues at all with the HifiBerry.

Maybe get in touch with the HifiBerry tech support, they usually come back with useful ideas.

I have had this issue of crackling noise come and go with my same Kali board. I don't hence feel there is any connection of the same with the different manufacturing batches of Kali. What I figured out was that when I use the jumper wires in the stock length, the noise is not there. Whereas when I cut short the wires and strip of the stock i2s connector and then re-attach the same on the shortened wire, the noise comes back. Also, when in place of inserting the i2s connectors on the jumpers, i solder the wires to the LRC, BCLK, etc, pins on the dac motherboard, the noise comes back. Also when noise is coming in the output, when I used to fiddle with the connectors while being attached, the noise used to fluctuate.

Hence my troubleshooting tips will include the following:

- use stock i2s wires between Kali/Dac motherboard and try
- use only any one ground connection and not three or four against each Data, BCLK, etc.
- Don't solder these wires
- Play with resampling settings (while ideal is to switch it off but no harm trying the various settings to see if any particular setting eliminates the noise).
- In case you are not using Moode, try using that.