A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

I would just like to point out this article deals with changing clocks on the HiFI Berry board, not Kali. The clocks which were used in the 'upgrade' are the Crystek clocks I used in Ian's reclocker. Whilst these are among the best spec around, the clocks used in the Kali-the ultra miniature NDK clocks-match these on spec, which was what sparked my interest in the comparison. So, I don't think you wil currently find better clocks than come as standard in the Kali and as the Kali clocks are SMD mounted any upgrade would mean SMD work which few of us are equipped to do.
David

good point, thanks for correcting this!

did you try spdif? or do you have any means to check the I2S signals?

I don't know how to check the I2S signal, please enlighten me

It looks like it is working ie the light for 44.1 comes on however I have just tested the output and it seems there is nothing. I did this by connecting wires from the ground/signal on a headphone jack to the ground/signal off the board but heard nothing. I seem to recall this should play any output through the headphone but may have this wrong.....

3rd and final version

After a long building period I'm finally very happy and proud with what I've accomplished, DDDAC 1794 NOS Streamer

• from 2 to 4 decks
  • symmetrical setup
  • changed Rload from stock to Tantalum Non Magnetic (2 Watt type)
  • Rpi 3b with Volumio
  • ALLO Isolator with Kali
  • integrated Silk TVC's
  • integrated remote control for TVC's
  • Almost every connection (silver) bare or with "air" interlink
  • changed MBR20200 in psu for full wave bridge rectifier

Just a list with most of the things I did in the recent years to create my personal view on sound with Doede's creation.
The TVC's were such a positive upgrade, I was stunned. Never heard such silence within the music, incredible. I sold my "active" pre-amp as a result.

I have to be honest, without assistance from Doede, Dick van de Merwe, Peter de Bruyn and Hans Braam I probably wouldn't got this far so big thanks to them :wave2::up:

Cheers, Paulus

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 629
  • 3e opzet dac boven remote.jpg
    3e opzet dac boven remote.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 594
  • symmetrische opbouw 3e opzet.jpg
    symmetrische opbouw 3e opzet.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 598
  • Remote voor de TVC (diy hifi supply).jpg
    Remote voor de TVC (diy hifi supply).jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 590
  • Nog een paar aansluitingen.jpg
    Nog een paar aansluitingen.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_20180511_133732.jpg
    IMG_20180511_133732.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_20180512_111407.jpg
    IMG_20180512_111407.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 256
After a long building period I'm finally very happy and proud with what I've accomplished, DDDAC 1794 NOS Streamer

• from 2 to 4 decks
  • symmetrical setup
  • changed Rload from stock to Tantalum Non Magnetic (2 Watt type)
  • Rpi 3b with Volumio
  • ALLO Isolator with Kali
  • integrated Silk TVC's
  • integrated remote control for TVC's
  • Almost every connection (silver) bare or with "air" interlink

Just a list with most of the things I did in the recent years to create my personal view on sound with Doede's creation.
The TVC's were such a positive upgrade, I was stunned. Never heard such silence within the music, incredible. I sold my "active" pre-amp as a result.

I have to be honest, without assistance from Doede, Dick van de Merwe, Peter de Bruyn and Hans Braam I probably wouldn't got this far so big thanks to them :wave2::up:

Cheers, Paulus

Good stuff! What relay/remote board did you use for the TVC? I made my own relay controller for my first TVC (without remote), but I might need another one for my current build...

I have to make my apologies.
As an amateur I was under the asumption that the MBR20200, due to the 2 diodes it contains, was a half wave rectifier, but......

The specified transformer in the stock PSU designed by Doede has a centertap.
With the ct and 2 diodes you create a full wave rectifier.

As i do not use the specified trafo and the one I use does not have a ct i needed a full wave rectifier.

Thanks to Dick van de Merwe in correcting me on this.

No need to apologize for learning new things here! That’s what it’s about. Great looking build on your DAC! I’m curious about all the connectors on the back side. Do you have multiple inputs or outputs? I am not familiar with the TVC’s. Could you provide a link or the name of the supplier? Do they run single ended or balanced? I have only 1 board at the moment in my DAC and I am considering upgrades. It really looks like you have efficiently packaged a lot of content into 1 chassis and very professionally done as well!

Hi there Bfpca,

Thanks for the kudos.

The TVC's were bought at: Acoustic Dimension dot com, check "transformers" and scroll down to Silk Audio.
They run both, single ended or balanced.

I have one input, thats the one just above the umbellical cord from my external PSU

I have created multiple outputs:

Straight out DDdac balanced
Straight out DDdac single ended through Cinemags 15/15b

Output through TVC's
Balanced
Single ended (connected in the picture, play bi-amp)

Cheers, Paulus

PSU build issue?

Hi All,

I am having trouble with my 12 VDC power supply build - I am getting constant 17 VDC at the output and turning the trimmer resistor has no effect?

Does anyone have a schematic for this marked up with normal operating measurements? I have no idea how to calculate the expected value but I am capable of sticking the multimeter somewhere and comparing the number on the display to a known value :)

Thanks

Nic

Hi All,

I am having trouble with my 12 VDC power supply build - I am getting constant 17 VDC at the output and turning the trimmer resistor has no effect?

Does anyone have a schematic for this marked up with normal operating measurements? I have no idea how to calculate the expected value but I am capable of sticking the multimeter somewhere and comparing the number on the display to a known value :)

Thanks

Nic

if turning the Trimmer has no effect it sounds like you flipped the small transistors position. meaning: switching the bc560 and bc550 or putting it 180 deg wrong

so two questions first.
1 does the LEDs light up normally
2. double check the transistors

Hi there Bfpca,

Thanks for the kudos.

The TVC's were bought at: Acoustic Dimension dot com, check "transformers" and scroll down to Silk Audio.
They run both, single ended or balanced.

I have one input, thats the one just above the umbellical cord from my external PSU

I have created multiple outputs:

Straight out DDdac balanced
Straight out DDdac single ended through Cinemags 15/15b

Output through TVC's
Balanced
Single ended (connected in the picture, play bi-amp)

Cheers, Paulus

Thank You Paulus for the information. You have lots of output options to explore with your DAC.

Happy Listening
Brian

My pleasure and again happy I could help with remote diagnostics. I had this error already a few times with some DIY, hence the expected hit-rate was high :cool:

Next to my normal reading glasses with +2 (yes I NEED them as well)I have extra reading glasses in my hobby-lab with +3.5 …. Only for soldering and PCB related work. For SMD work, I have the great nerdy looking head set with the 10x magnifying glasses flipped in front of my eyes :D

And so mine is done too. Well at least for the moment....

index1_zpst7kxucvg.jpg

index2_zpsu1xfuebb.jpg

Yes, it is far from done.
The connections to the mainboard are not nicely done, i know.
The prints themselfs are nicely soldered.
I it this way as I will be changing it in the near future, with the berrystreamer, and the Cinemag transformers, so i thought, why bother...

At least it plays MUSIC!

It takes the digital input from a Meridian G98HD and output goes to a XTZ 100D3 with feed in Bi-amp (2x XTZ 100D3) a set of Xanadu HRS 20SE speakers.
First impressions: what a clean sound! As if i have been listening through sandpaper all this time....

Last edited:
Not much activity in this thread recently ;-)

I just finished another passive TVC that goes in between the DDDAC balanced output and the inputs of my tube amp and subwoofer amp. It's too good to be true... the TVC is a very good volume control with no signal loss! It uses the full balanced out from the DAC chips, and it helps avoiding ground loops.

I used the good old Sowter 9335 TVCs, this time with a Shallco 2x26 switch. Easy-peasy old style, no fancy microcontrollers and relays.

The TVC replaces a passive attenuator with fixed resistors. This was clearly not a good solution in my system. The impedance matching was not right, which resulted in poor sound quality depending on the volume setting.

No more resistive volume controls in my home :cool:
(except in the kitchen radio)

Good stuff!