A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Audio creative cannot give the answer, as I have to design them first :)
I sent you mail, but your email server bounced three times as not deliverable .... so I gave up... Sorry...

Doede I sent you message with questions about Transformer Volume Control some time ago. And never received an answer. This message above makes me think that maybe the same bouncing happens with your e-mails to me? Or maybe you never received my message? I sent it from this forum PM system, and it was saying that my message was sent in form of an e-mail to you, not a PM. I don't know how much this PM to e-mail system is reliable.

Regards

The Salas power supply/voltage regulators have 4 rectifying diodes on each board. No place for a choke. The on board main supply cap and shunt current create a 3mohm output impedance up to 30Khz without the need for a big-@$$ transformer. I use a 56VA transformer with dual secondaries rated at 2 amps at 14VAC each. This is more than four times the .45 amps my Salas boards draw supplying 8V to the PCM1794 analog sections and +/-12V to the DAC output buffer.

I just want to let forum readers know that there is more than one power supply path to great sound. My DAC sounds far better than I ever imagined possible without using lots of iron. I will explain my Salas power supplies in greater detail with pictures on my Upgrade Thread if there is interest.

Hi,

There are a lot of ways to build a power supply, each design will have its flaws and strengths.

The first big modification I tried on the dac was changing the Doede power supplies for Salas supplies. These are indeed nice sounding supplies but IMHO unregulated choke supplied is even better, significantly better.
And it saves you a lot of time figuring out how to dimension the salas boards...........

Hi All,

There is some exciting stuff about to happen tomorrow!
We will have a DDDAC meet together with: Stijn, James, Cees, Doede and me, at my house.

This will be the line up:

We will have the following dacs to compare:
1) 2 deck 1794 dddac with oscon/silmic and unregulated power supply (Stefan)
2) 4 deck tweaked out 1794 dac with all options (Stefan)
3) 1 deck tweaked out 1794 dac with all options (James)
4) 4 deck tweaked out 1794 dac with all options (Stijn)
5) * deck 1794 dac Hogeberg with shunts and pin 20 CCS (Doede)
6) 8 deck stock version 1794 dac with Sowters (Doede)
7) 1 deck stock version 1794 dac (Doede)
8) 1 deck with tent shunt 1794 dad (Doede)
9) DSD prototype dac (Doede)

As a source we have:
1) two raspberry pi’s with Squeezelite or volumio and one Acko Reclocker (Stefan)
2) BBB with squeezelite or volumio (Stefan)
3) BBB with squeezelite or volumio and Acko reclocker (Stijn)
4) BBB with squeezlite and Acko reclocker (James)

All connected with I2S to the dac, some synchronous some asynchronous.

We will compare several stuff:
1) the different DAC builds of course
2) squeezelite versus MPD based player (volumio, Miero botic drive)
3) synchronous versus asynchronous clocking of the streamer on the Acko S03 boards (BBB versus RPI)

I can't wait!

See all you guys tomorrow!

Regards,

Last edited:
Hi All,

There is some exciting stuff about to happen tomorrow!
We will have a DDDAC meet together with: Stijn, James, Cees, Doede and me, at my house.

This will be the line up:

We will have the following dacs to compare:
1) 2 deck 1794 dddac with oscon/silmic and unregulated power supply (Stefan)
2) 4 deck tweaked out 1794 dac with all options (Stefan)
3) 1 deck tweaked out 1794 dac with all options (James)
4) 4 deck tweaked out 1794 dac with all options (Stijn)
5) * deck 1794 dac Hogeberg with shunts and pin 20 CCS (Doede)
6) 8 deck stock version 1794 dac with Sowters (Doede)
7) 1 deck stock version 1794 dac (Doede)
8) 1 deck with tent shunt 1794 dad (Doede)
9) DSD prototype dac (Doede)

As a source we have:
1) two raspberry pi’s with Squeezelite or volumio and one Acko Reclocker (Stefan)
2) BBB with squeezelite or volumio (Stefan)
3) BBB with squeezelite or volumio and Acko reclocker (Stijn)
4) BBB with squeezlite and Acko reclocker (James)

All connected with I2S to the dac, some synchronous some asynchronous.

We will compare several stuff:
1) the different DAC builds of course
2) squeezelite versus MPD based player (volumio, Miero botic drive)
3) synchronous versus asynchronous clocking of the streamer on the Acko S03 boards (BBB versus RPI)

I can't wait!

See all you guys tomorrow!

Regards,

Hi Sfefan,

That will be exciting, have a lot of fun! Very curious about the outcomes.

Paul

Whoa...! I can't wait for your findings. There seems lots going on for the day. Do hope your sonic memories serve you all well! :D

I'm particularly interested in a DSD photo type...! This is interesting when play with a well mastered DSD source (e.g Bluecoast 2nd album) via Miero's driver from BBB to S03 to phototype DSD.. :)

Have fun guys. Envy very much...!

Please keep us posted.
Chanh

Oh... I was looking forward to finding out what a Hogeberg sounds like [emoji14]

I've also got a bunch of pin20 ccs options mounted up for comparison
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And I've even screwed a proper lid on my dddac for the first time ever!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Let's hope airport security are as happy as I am with my creation ;)