A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Oké, I have also used tantalum resistors from Shinko in a pre-amp (Nelson Pass Design).
They have a very nice 'even sound' but are not in fabrication anymore.
I also use this resistor(10k) in the DDDac at the output (rload) of the transformers.
For the SPDIF you could use a wbt next gen rca connector.
I think its the only rca connector with 75 ohm impedance.

After 3 hours of paper sand every leg of cap, resister,..., every components' legs going inside all boards and washed with Isopropyl Alcohol using cotton balls. I have finally done with all the soldering! Time to connect them together with a friend here to be schedule for final circuit checks and preliminary listening to it!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you mind measuring the height of the eight boards, I'm wanting to know the height of the case I need to buy
Thanks

Canare makes 75ohm male/female rca connectors too and are pretty cheap.

True. You can easily buy them at a very good price from Percy Audio

I have also bought a few BNC 75 ohms connectors, which are supposed to be better than RCA for digital transfers.
My current DDDAC project has both RCA and BNC 75 ohms inputs.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Triodedick and I had the Lundahl in test versus the Sowters and Cinemag. Clearly performed less. Less stage, smearing Sound. All relative of course, but for me it was clear not to use Lundahl.

I actually asked Per for my Project back then in 2012 and he responded:

Hello Doede,

Thank you for your request and your interest in our products.
I am sorry, but as far as I can think, we do not have any product suitable for your application.
Sorry.

- Per Lundahl

** Brian Sowter however took the challenge and made the small masterpieces I am preferring right now :cool:

Would you mind measuring the height of the eight boards, I'm wanting to know the height of the case I need to buy

Maybe an alternative would be to install the DAC stack horizontaly in the chassis, to avoid the need of a very high chassis.

img.php

If we keep the DAC cards stacked and screwed together (as recommanded by Doede) and just change the orientation of the stack, we should not face any interference problem.

Cleaver or stupid ?

A good mate of mine came over to my place assisted as second set of eyes, checking out my essembled/soldering work on DDDAC before hook up. We did preliminary listen to my 8-decks with AudioNote Tantulum outputting via Sowters against his 4-decks with Allen Bradley outputting via Sowters also. We are all in agreement that we have noticed a bigger sound stage from 4 to 8 decks, better transparency, 3D sound image which has way better dept, and most of all mine configuration turns the sound into music with the feel of life and presence! With burn-in, I think the improvement may be further in a couple days time.

We have also discussing the possibility of 12-16 setup! So Doede, please let us know as soonest if you see the possibility in the horizon!:p:

Hi Chanh,

Well done on the assembling of the 8 stack kit. I concur with you regarding what we heard last night between my 4-stack with 2w AB i/v resistors, compared to your fresh 8-stack (with the new v3.0 mainboard that also supports spdif input) with 2w AudioNote tant resistors.

I just found the music felt like it had more 'life' and presence.

Personally not a good outcome for myself. I will eventually have to move to an extra 4 boards, even though my bank balance says no.

Hi Sovereign1, the shunt regs look interesting. Did you listen with standard regs then move to the shunts? What improvements did you find?

Clean power is really important in hifi, especially when dealing with low level signals. So I see how using dedicated shunt regulators does make some sense to my limited knowledge and understanding. he he

PS. nice quality photos on your photostream!

Last edited:
Looks great with 8 stacks...
Remember to give it some time to settle in..the sound is changing on the first 40 hours.
but i am sure you will be just as happy with the sound like me--
best Bjarne
Hi Beardman,

Thanks! I am thinking of joining my 8-deck combine with Tuyen's 4-decks to produce 12-decks but concerning the power supply adequacy for a single PS. Since we have 2 x 12V PSupplies, we could... Not sure if anyone has 12-decks setup? Please let us know, many thanks!

Chanh

Last edited:
Hi Beardman,

Thanks! I am thinking of joining my 8-deck combine with Tuyen's 4-decks to produce 12-decks but concerning the power supply adequacy for a single PS. Since we have 2 x 12V PSupplies, we could... Not sure if anyone has 12-decks setup? Please let us know, many thanks!

Chanh

I must confess that I am going to 12 stacks later in the year. The power supply will go to 1A, but Doede has a power supply circuit for extra power for driving large stacks of 1543 chips.

Maybe the DDDAC power supply can be uprated or try this circuit.

Attachments

• powersupply-idea-5.gif
    powersupply-idea-5.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 500